SCARFING PLYWOOD

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

bobinpowayca

SCARFING PLYWOOD

Post by bobinpowayca »

Hi, I'm building the Geronimo. I plan on doing scarf joints, at least on the forward joint where the sheathing will have to flex a little bit. I've done a lot of research and most people say they use a block plane.
Seems to me a block plane being real short would make it harder to do the long flat planing for the scarf joint, then say a bench plane or a jack plane.
What do you folks that have done this think? What kind of plane did you use for making your scarf joints on plywood panels? Thanks! Bob
Bob

kens

Re: SCARFING PLYWOOD

Post by kens »

Dont matter you call it a jack , bench, block or any other kind.
You use whatever one works on that day you use it.
The wood may have different grain as you get into it, and you swap out different tools.
All depends on the grain, your blade, or you work from the left or the right.
There is no one single answer.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

thudpucker

Post by thudpucker »

In another century I built a Drifter in AK.
I made all my Scarf Joints with a Belt sander and a Straight edge. :roll:

What I learned is: If you get plenty of "Glue area" with no starving, you'll WIN!
None of my Scarf joints failed. The boat worked great. A guy bought the Boat and trailer from me at the end of it's first trip downriver. :o Now that's what I call a successful build! :mrgreen:

I built a Dog house once. The Dog wouldn't go in it! :lol:

slug

Post by slug »

I did mine on the Titan with a skill saw. worked OK and was satifactory. There are all sorts of methods, and if you search on the forum for scarfing you'll get some ideas about building various guides and jigs.

Doug

darthplywood

Post by darthplywood »

i bought one of these and it worked great. make sure you invest in a good quality blade for your circular saw. After you cut with this you will need to finish with a belt - sander. Worked great...even for an amateur like me!
Attachments
scarfer.JPG
Built the 17' Glen-L "Sea Knight"
yet to come...11' Glen-L "Utility"

kens

Post by kens »

I scarfed with a router. Ran the router on a long sled with the ply staggered in a stack.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

Return to “Power Boats”