Red's Riviera

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

red

Red's Riviera

Post by red »

well what's one to do when they finish a boat???? Start another one what else. I started on my Riviera about three weeks ago all the frames are ready to glue up and the transom pieces are being cut now so in a few days I should have everything glued up and ready to build the form. I'm thinking of using white oak for the motor stringers so Ill have to pick some up next week and get them ready for the frames.
Attachments
0818012205.jpg
0817010234a.jpg

Dave Grason

Re: Red's Riviera

Post by Dave Grason »

Are your frames also White Oak?

Please know that White Oak can give problems with epoxy. I ask because a few years ago, we had a discussion on this forum about this potential incompatibility between WO and epoxy. I'm relating this from memory and I believe that it's due to WO being a really tight grained wood that does not allow the epoxy to soak in enough to get a good grip. The problem is solved by applying a 40 grit grinding pad to your glue surfaces in order to give the epoxy some "tooth." On my Zip, the frames are all genuine mahogany but the sheers are WO. I roughed up the sheers with 40 grit (only where I was going to apply the glue) and the adhesion is very good.

Your work is looking good so far. I'm always glad to see another Riv getting built. It's a beautiful design.

BTW, here is a link to a different type of epoxy that has no probs with WO at all. It's a favorite among restorers of classic wooden boats. WO was an extremely popular frame material back in the day.

http://www.smithandcompany.org/CPES/
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Kyle

I know where you can get help for the flip! :wink:

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Dave Grason

Post by Dave Grason »

What do you have in mind, Bill?
We could make a weekend of it if we planned it right. It's an easy drive for me if I have enough notice. I've been to Macon but not Milner.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

Thanks for that link, Dave!! I did not know CPES had a winter, lower odor formula. I think I will use that when I seal the interior of the Torpedo. Yes about the sanding the WO. I just roughed up my WO stringers to laminate the plywood to them. WO is very slick, especially after planing.

Roberta :D :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

red

Post by red »

Dave the frames are genuine mahogany I was going to use it through out but now I think I might run out and the guy I bought it from is out. I don't want to run out of it and have to try and find some more plus Ill never get it again for the price I paid so I'm going to use white oak for the stringers and chines and sheers and yes I know about roughing it up before gluing thanks for the heads up.

Bill thanks for the help Ill defiantly need it when the time comes how was trip the iagg looked like an awesome time thanks for posting for us.

Dave thanks for the info and offering to help flip when the time comes the more the better

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

IAGG was great and the people were even better. Twenty-three days of great experiences. The trip on each end was grueling! But, worth it.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

Glad you're back safe and had a Great time!! That long airplane ride is what I would not look forward too. I had lots of MaiTais on the way to Hawaii to help me along. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Roberta :D :D :D

vupilot

Post by vupilot »

Wow Red, Isnt this your third Glen-L!?! You sure got the boat building bug! Good luck with the Riviera!

darthplywood

Post by darthplywood »

thats awesome Red...Keep the pics coming!!
Built the 17' Glen-L "Sea Knight"
yet to come...11' Glen-L "Utility"

kens

Post by kens »

red wrote:Dave the frames are genuine mahogany I was going to use it through out but now I think I might run out and the guy I bought it from is out. I don't want to run out of it and have to try and find some more plus Ill never get it again for the price I paid so I'm going to use white oak for the stringers and chines and sheers and yes I know about roughing it up before gluing thanks for the heads up.

Bill thanks for the help Ill defiantly need it when the time comes how was trip the iagg looked like an awesome time thanks for posting for us.

Dave thanks for the info and offering to help flip when the time comes the more the better
If you can get Sapele, get it. It is good stuff.
I paid less than either wht oak or mahog for it, and glad I did.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

I'm using Sapele in the Torpedo. I like it a lot. It's a bit heavier than Phillipine or Honduras, but very nice to work with.

Roberta :D :D

red

Post by red »

Chris this will be number four and the more I look at the big tahoe or the Monte Carlo theres probably going to be a fifth sometime down the road. As for the white oak I might have to see if he has any african mahogany left if so Ill probably just use that instead.

red

Post by red »

haven't had much time for the Riviera Ive been doing a side job but have managed to get the frames and stem built after the holidays Ill clean the shop rearrange it and get the form built
Attachments
IMG_0559.JPG
IMG_0560.JPG
IMG_0571.JPG

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

Look's great, Red, but you are much too neat!! Need to see some epoxy finger prints all over everything so I know you used enough glue!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Roberta :D :D :D

Return to “Power Boats”