Moderator: BruceDow

slug

Re: Gentry in Lancaster

Postby slug » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:49 am

AND, one down under...Trackhappy.

Gayle Brantuk

Postby Gayle Brantuk » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:27 am

Jack Rouse was our first Gentry builder and he's in Florida. There are at least 2 in Canada and then 1 in Maine, Vermont, Minnesota and Washington. See our Galleries: http://boatbuilders.glen-l.com/gentry-design/

Of course, I don't see your boat in our Gallery Neel! Who knows how many more have been built as not everyone sends photos or creates a Gallery...

Andy Garrett

Postby Andy Garrett » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:46 am

Right now, all the pilots around here are trying to figure out what kind of plane that is by only seeing the wingtip light. :lol:
Andy Garrett

Perhaps the slowest Zip build in Glen-L history...

Andy Garrett

Postby Andy Garrett » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:52 am

My guess is Grumman AA-5.
Andy Garrett

Perhaps the slowest Zip build in Glen-L history...

neel thompson

Postby neel thompson » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:54 pm

That plane in Glenn B's hangar is a beautiful RV8 that he built over a five-year period. I hope he chimes in here with some details. I will post a picture of it that I took i October.

Gayle-- I will get some pictures posted soon. I just have to figure out how!!
Attachments
20131031_113908 (2).jpg

Trackhappy
Location: Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia. Building Gentry.

Postby Trackhappy » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:59 pm

I take my hat off to somebody who can build a plane themselves and then sit in it and fly it.....
By the time I have built a boat, I'll be ready to build a boat....

GlennB

Postby GlennB » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:47 pm

I've been lurking on the list for quite some time now, so it may be time for me to speak up. First of all, thanks for all the great feedback. And thanks to Neel, Trackhappy, Gentry in Minnesota, and Roberta for your great blogs. The blogs give Glen-L boat builders a real jump start Gail, the video of you and Neel testing his Genty at the Hales Bar gathering pushed me over the edge. What a great design. And yes you're right, Neel really is a "nice" guy.

At the gathering, I learned that many Glen-L boat builders have also built airplanes. Mine is an RV-8 that took 3200+ hours to build over a five year period. It has a 200HP fuel injected Lycoming engine. It is aerobatic, IFR certified and cruises at 200+ MPH. It is painted with PPG base coat/clear coat acrylic eurethane. My own little personal fighter. But enough about that. This is a boat list. GlennB

GlennB

Postby GlennB » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:54 pm

PS Trackhappy, I inadvertanty ommitted your name from the blogs. I read yours many many times. Thanks
GlennB

Trackhappy

Postby Trackhappy » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:27 pm

Thanks GlennB,
Happy to have you around, and hopefully there were some useful notes in there. Looking back I wish I had concentrated a bit more on getting better photos and detailing things better. Between us all though there should be plenty of food for thought.

Great job on your plane and look forward to following your build.

Gayle Brantuk

Postby Gayle Brantuk » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:10 am

Neel--just send the photos to John@Glen-L.com and he can do it for you if you can't figure it out. It's not hard to do, but we've learned that many of you who build boats don't do computers :D I guess you can't excel at everything, right?

neel thompson

Postby neel thompson » Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:07 am

Well I was out to Lancaster again yesterday to work with Glenn B on his Gentry. He is still computer challenged so I will post some pictures of his progress. He has all the plywood layers on the sides, one layer of 6mm all the way up, and the second layer of 6mm about 2/3 of the way up towards the bow on the bottom. He has spent hour after hour fairing each layer using multiple coats of epoxy, longboard and air file. We glued down the 3mm plywood on the aft section of the bottom yesterday. He has to add two pieces at the transom, finish the second layer of 6mm , and fair the bottom again. Then he will be ready for mahogany veneer. He is going to order the mahogany planking Monday and also order all hardware required for inboard power from Glen-L. Glenn is very precise and this will be one nice boat when finished... Nice job Glenn...
Attachments
20140725_134004.jpg
20140725_133945.jpg

Trackhappy

Postby Trackhappy » Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:04 pm

Fantastic work! That's a neat stage to be at, really looks like a boat and the fairing is so satisfying.

ctboater

Postby ctboater » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:04 am

Amazing work so far Glenn.
It was great to meet everyone at the show in Mystic.

Mike

neel thompson

Postby neel thompson » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:13 pm

Mike,,, He's getting close to flipping her over, if you know what I mean... It was a pleasure meeting you and your family in Ct. as well...Start planning for G-9 in 2015.

Return to “Power Boats”