200hp Zip....sort of.

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

lraymond

200hp Zip....sort of.

Post by lraymond »

I finally finished my boat based loosely on the Zip design. The underwater profile is very similar to a zip although it has been stretched to 16 feet. Above the waterline was tweaked quite a bit. Power is via an inboard electric motor capable of producing 200hp. It has about twice as many frames as a typical zip, twice the hull thickness, and white oak motor stringers. Sea trials went well last weekend and the handling exceeded my expectations. So far I have limited the power to 30% (laptop used to program motor controller) and it already does over 30 mph. It uses about 180 lbs of batteries at a time in 4 or 6 modules (2 types I'm experimenting with) which can be moved to different locations of the boat depending on desired trim (behind rear seat, behind front seat, under front deck). For the first trials I started with the batteries against the transom and the CofG was a bit far back as I hoped, causing the bow to ride a bit high (I kept everything as far back as possible and a low shaft angle to avoid plowing present in many inboards). I will increase the power to 50% and move a couple battery modules for proper trim and try again next weekend.
Photos:
https://plus.google.com/photos/11026535 ... 1810833233

gdcarpenter

Re: 200hp Zip....sort of.

Post by gdcarpenter »

I have built a ZIP and all I can say is:

"Holy Crap"!!!!!

Kudos to you.
This is my first, last and only boat build.

http://www.gdzipbuild.blogspot.com

Mojo

Post by Mojo »

Everything about that boat is impressive. Well done. I bet there is some massive amps being drawn when that motor is running at full power. How heavy is the motor? How long do you get out of the batteries at cruise speed?

Would be an experience to be shooting along at 50kts without the sound of a petrol motor.

Cheers
Mojo

fergal butler

Post by fergal butler »

Very impressive well done.

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

That is WAY COOL!!!

Roberta :D :D :D :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Yes, I agree, very impressive. Nice work.
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

Lyman

Post by Lyman »

Well that is amazing. Of course I and ond/or we need more info..

1) What is the motor and control brand?
2) How many batteries were there in the test run and what kind of voltage total is there?
3) Can this have reverse?
4) With the optimal number of batteries how long can it run?
5) Is the cooling done with external water with a pump or is it a closed loop some how?

I am sure I am not the only one with questions, again this is amazing! :D
Scott Knapp

Building a Zip as my first boat..

vupilot

Post by vupilot »

That is seriously cool! I would love to see some video of it running. Beautiful workmanship and innovation, well done!

cusoak

Post by cusoak »

That,s cool.
can you take a video and post so we can see it running in water.
Jeff

lraymond

Post by lraymond »

The motor is a netgain warp 9 which weighs about 150lbs and is often used in ev drag racing. The motor controller is a zilla 1000amp controller. For example the below car uses 2 impulse 9 motors, a smaller version of the warp 9:
http://www.plasmaboyracing.com/whitezombie.php

So far its looking like I will get about 45min-1hr out of a pack at 15-20mph depending on # of passengers which was about what I was hoping for. At hull speeds one pack will last about 12 hours, and at a cruising speed that produces a nice big wake and cuts the water like the old chris crafts it will go between 2 and 3 hours per pack.
At 30-40 mph its looking like I will get about 20min per pack.
There are 3 packs and it takes about 5 min. to switch one out.
Last weekend it took about 2 hours to kill a pack with a variety of the above operating modes.

With an 11X9 3-blade bronze prop (there is an 11X15 2-blade stainless for after break-in) the motor draws about 250 amps at 25mph. After riding around for 20 min at 300 amps the motor was still ice cold which indicates the cooling jacket I added works (300 amps in my electric car without the cooling jacket and the motor would be very hot). The strut has a water pickup and the forward motion of the boat pushes the raw water through the cooling loop (at 15mph it looks about like a garden hose coming out the back of the boat). There is a cooling plate that the motor controller is mounted to that has a closed glycol loop through it as well to cool the controller internals.

Voltage is either 135 nominal or 180ish depending on which pack (so far I've only run the 135).
Its an interesting experience driving. It is pretty much completely silent at displacement to semi-displacement speeds then when you give it the power there is a low pitched roar...not motor noise I think its the prop. You can hear it on the video below.

The video shows some speed runs at 30% power...or about 300amps. I don't think I'll ever turn it all the way up. You can see that the CofG is a bit far back and with one person it starts to porpoise above the low 30 mphs. For the next trip I'll move some batteries for better balance and turn up the current to 500amps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Imb_-hnBKOw

Silent cruising:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_TcVi2mg9E

Andy Garrett

Post by Andy Garrett »

Judging by the inovation and willingness to modify to the extreme, I'm guessing that this is not your first build?

Just spectacular!

Your boat highlights very well what it is about the Zip design that I love so much:

When photographed, filmed, or viewed from any angle, in any color, finish, or trim, at any stage of completion or restoration, the Zip is simply beautiful--the perfect shape for a boat. The lines are pure artistry with a touch of zen. I smile everytime I look at one. :)

Thanks for sharing!
Andy Garrett

Perhaps the slowest Zip build in Glen-L history...

areame

Post by areame »

Nice job! That's really impressive.

lraymond

Post by lraymond »

I had the hardest time finding a design that seemed right. All the inboard styles I could find just seemed a bit to beamy for my taste. I kept coming back to Zip and its classic lines but it was a bit too small for an inboard. So I finally decided I would just go for the Zip plans and wing it :). This was my first non-kit boat build but I was very careful with every part of the design process.

Oh, and I missed one question: reverse is achieved by switching the polarity of the motor cables with contactors. Pushing forward on the throttle makes it go forward and pulling back on the throttle engages reverse. There is a indexing sort of mechanism thingy that I put on the throttle so you have to rotate the ball up and then pull back for reverse.

vupilot

Post by vupilot »

You are a talented and determined person, with a nice shop too! I cant get over how neat and interesting that is.

Having a boat which you can change the hp of with just a few computer keystrokes instead of buying a whole new engine has some really neat advantages!

How about an outboard version next!?!?!

lraymond

Post by lraymond »

Mostly just very determined :). I actually got many ideas from your build Chris so thanks, very nicely done. I thought briefly about an electric outboard at one point...I converted an 8hp evinrude to electric (video on youtube) and it works great. The torque of an electric motor just can't be beat for marine applications where you don't have the benefit of gears (at 30% current limit on Barbara Jean has a similar hole-shot to our family's 4.3L Four Winns). The trim-able nature of outboards and stern drives is definitely a plus. Maybe when (or if) the 2-stroke Johnson on our pontoon ever gives up the ghost I'll put an electric head on that....

Return to “Power Boats”