Moderator: BruceDow

jenko

Re: Making progress on my Monaco.

Post by jenko »

looks fantastic Skip :D

sscobra

Post by sscobra »

Finally finished with the epoxy and sanding. Put the 6th coat of epoxy on and let it dry for four days. I then sanded it all down to a smooth, flat finish. Had quite a few small depressions where the staple holes didn't completely fill in with epoxy. Didn't want to sand them all the way down since I probably wouldn't have any epoxy left on the boat if I did! I dabbed a little epoxy in each depression today and will sand them flat tomorrow. I wish I had a film thickness meter so I could tell how much epoxy is left on the hull. Hopefully at least 3 coats! Next up is marking the waterline and painting the bottom. I am going to put on two coats of Interlux primer and then at least three coats of Interlux Perfection. The color is Jade Mist Green, a very dark green. I am thinking of putting a couple of coats of varnish on the Mahogany just to bring back the color of the wood. Not sure I can wait till I get the decking done before I see the color again. That way I can get some UV protection on the epoxy also (at least that is what I am telling myself!). Skip
Attachments
epoxy7.jpg
epoxy8.jpg
epoxy9.jpg
Built the Glen-L Monaco, 2016.

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

Looking Great, Skip!!! Don't you just love sanding!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I'm doing a lot of hand sanding on the Torpedo in prep for finishing the decking.

Roberta :D :D :D :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Great work Skip,

I can imagine the temptation to jump ahead and apply the varnish. Such a beautiful boat.
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

sscobra

Post by sscobra »

I put on a coat of primer on the bottom today. Not long until I start the color. Looking forward to that. I have been considering using Epifanes clear gloss varnish all along because I have heard great things about it. Ozzieboat recommends Perfection Plus clear polyurethane and I did a search today to see if I could find a comparison. I found the following review and they found that the two part poly held up much better after two years exposure to the weather. The Perfection Plus is a two part poly and a downside is that it is almost twice as expensive as the one part.

http://www.practical-sailor.com/issues/ ... 576-1.html

Look at the value guide on the right side of the article for a comparison of all the varnishes they tested. I may have to rethink using Epifanes. Skip
Attachments
A little shiny because it is still wet.
A little shiny because it is still wet.
bottompaint2.jpg

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Skip

I use Perfection Plus. It is tough! I walk on my decks with no regard to shoes and almost no scratching. The down side is, if you do need a touch up, the stuff doesn't store well and you need to buy more. I haven't seen a touch-up kit.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

I liked the Epifanes varnish because it was easy to use and did result in a beautiful job, but it is expensive and it is not as durable as the two part poly. I used the Epifanes two part poly white and blue on the hull of the Torpedo and really like it. I am using the Epifanes two part poly gloss clear on the bright work on the Torpedo. But the Epifanes two part is also very expensive. It does result in excellent coverage and finish, though.

Roberta :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

sscobra

Post by sscobra »

Thanks Bill and Roberta. Roberta, I didn't know that Epifanes even had a two part poly until you mentioned it. I thought you were just using the Epifanes varnish. Nice to know, except now I have to decide whether to use Epifanes or Perfection Plus! Both sound like excellent products. Both are about the same cost ($65) but the Epifanes is 750ml and the Perfection is 1 quart (950ml). Decisions, decisions! Skip

sscobra

Post by sscobra »

Put on the first coat of Perfection Plus today. It definitely will take at least 3 coats, but I like it already! It is really nice paint. Skip
Attachments
bottompaint3.jpg
bottompaint4.jpg

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Oh wow, now that looks really fine Skip! You've come a long way in a short amount of time. Won't be much longer before you're working the topside :D
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

sscobra

Post by sscobra »

Thanks Carl! I am looking forward to flipping it over and starting on the topside. Sanded down the first coat of the Perfection today and added the second coat. Can't seem to get away from the sanding! This paint is expensive! I mixed up an entire quart for the first coat and ended up wasting about a third of it. Today I mixed up 2/3 of a quart and it was just the right amount. I only bought 3 quarts of it so now I know I can get two more coats if needed. I am going to take a few days off because of another hobby of mine. I hope to get the next coat on by next Monday. Skip
Attachments
May have sanded a little too much!
May have sanded a little too much!
Second coat.
Second coat.

trisailor

Post by trisailor »

Skip- Nice choice on bottom color. Looking good!. I was so happy to get that bottom paint on as well. Keep your eye on the prize, 'cause driving it is even more fun than building.
Attachments
248.JPG

sscobra

Post by sscobra »

Thanks Trisailor. You have a beautiful hull there! Skip

Bob Perkins

Post by Bob Perkins »

Looks great! I put a few coats of varnish on the topsides for protection.. there are so many that go on once you get the final finishing done..
NIce color and shape :)
Regards,
Bob Perkins

All the Fun Stuff
https://bperkins.wordpress.com/

Riff

Post by Riff »

Just read the thread from start to finish :D
Looking great. Nice work :)
Kurt

My build, hopefully a tribute in remembrance of my grandfather Jon.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=26502

Return to “Power Boats”