Making progress on my Monaco.

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

sscobra

Re: Making progress on my Monaco.

Post by sscobra »

Finished the 4th (and last) coat of bottom paint. It is not perfect, but it is the bottom. Next up will be a couple coats of clear on the sides and then building some form of carriage to hold the boat right side up. Then the FLIP! Can't wait. Skip
Attachments
bottompaint7.jpg
bottompaint8.jpg
Built the Glen-L Monaco, 2016.

Riff

Post by Riff »

Wow. That looks really good.
A masterpiece in the making :D
Kurt

My build, hopefully a tribute in remembrance of my grandfather Jon.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=26502

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Skip,

How gorgeous!! She's looking really sweet. Let me know when you are going to do the flip. I'd like to be there to help.
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

Bob Perkins

Post by Bob Perkins »

I wish I had taken more pictures of my flip..

I did mine lower tech than most.

First on the building form - I bolted extension arms though the bottom inside and they stuck out past the sheer line so the boat when rolled would never touch the ground. They were very secure and I made sure the form could not let go or wrack..

Then I went to the local tire place and asked if I could borrow a bunch of old tires for a boat flip, and that I would bring them back..

We spread out the tires - covered with old blankets -

We tied a line to the inside and to a truck to ease the whole thing over.. we lifted, rolled and eased it down with the line onto the tires. It was all very controlled.

Then we all removed the building form, picked up the hull (maybe 800 pounds) and placed onto the cradle..

The trick for me was making sure the building form and extension arms would not rack or twist... It was pretty simple.. but nerve wracking the entire time.

There are many great ways to roll a hull. Congrats again!
Regards,
Bob Perkins

All the Fun Stuff
https://bperkins.wordpress.com/

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

Look's Great!!!!

I used Hi Tech mattresses and moving blankets for my flip and just pushed the whole thing over with lots of bodies and me watching in panic until it all went perfectly. Have a flipping party and lots of friends (and beer for afterwards).

Roberta :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

sscobra

Post by sscobra »

Thanks for the comments everyone! Thanks for the suggestions on the flip. I hope to be able to flip it right were it sits. I have two chain hoists mounted above the boat on hefty beams and I hope I can raise it and roll it over using pulleys and slings. I thought about just rolling it in the slings but thought that might have the potential of scuffing the bottom paint. If I use slings on pulleys hanging from the chain hoist hook then the sling will rotate with the boat as it rolls over. I will just have to be sure that it doesn't get away and roll over too fast and hurt someone or the hull. Carl, you are definitely invited over for the flip. I have planned all along to ask you to come over. Been wanting to meet you for some time. First thing is to investigate building the carriage for the boat to sit in. I really like the ones you use Roberta but not sure I want to spend that much money, unless it will cost about that much to build something! Skip

Bob Perkins

Post by Bob Perkins »

Here are mine. The only difference now is I purchased much more heavy duty wheels. The ones pictured started to bend as the weight increased.

They link together via black pipe and flanges to link the sections. Then I can take it all apart for reuse.
Regards,
Bob Perkins

All the Fun Stuff

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

The dollies were expensive, but are very adjustable both height wise and length wise . I have an AL square tube tying them together so I can vary the separation of the two. With our very slick boat bottoms, without the tie bar, the dollies would spread apart. The wheels are very heavy duty and support the weight of the boat well. I can move the boat about the hangar fairly easily. They will come in handy for those times when the boat will need to be in dry dock, so they will have a purpose in the future. Decent casters will set you back half the cost of one dolly.

Roberta :D

Bob Perkins

Post by Bob Perkins »

if you like...

I have my sailboat upside down on my cradle right now.. I can take additional pics if you go the build your own route.
HTH
Regards,
Bob Perkins

All the Fun Stuff

sscobra

Post by sscobra »

Thanks Roberta and Bob. You are right Roberta, good casters can be expensive. Bob, I like your design idea of the pipes to be able to take them apart. I have limited space as most do so that feature is nice. I think if I were to build mine, I might make them a little wider and double up on the casters. Bob, I would appreciate any additional photos you think might be helpful. Today I was able to apply the first clear coat on the sides. That is a sight I have been waiting for! Almost hate the thought of sanding it to apply the second coat. Skip
Attachments
bottompaint9.jpg
bottompaint10.jpg

Riff

Post by Riff »

That looks amazing :D
As I said, a masterpiece in the making :)
Kurt

My build, hopefully a tribute in remembrance of my grandfather Jon.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=26502

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Skip :!:

When that first coat of clear goes on... Suddenly it's all worth it!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

WOW!!!!

Roberta :D :D :D :D :D

trisailor

Post by trisailor »

Hi Skip- I found the price of a 600# furniture dolly was about the same or slightly cheaper than the cost of a single swivel caster wheel, so I ended up buying those. Now that my boat is done, I have four dollies that I've used often since. Worked fine. Bob's idea of attaching the two together is great!.
Attachments
I designed the cradle to telescope 9", although I never did raise it up after the boat was on the cradle.
I designed the cradle to telescope 9", although I never did raise it up after the boat was on the cradle.
cradle frame
cradle frame
Lag screwing the dolly to the cradle.
Lag screwing the dolly to the cradle.

Bob Perkins

Post by Bob Perkins »

I like the furniture dolly idea.. would have lowered everything quite a bit for me.
hmmmmm....
Regards,
Bob Perkins

All the Fun Stuff

Return to “Power Boats”