Making progress on my Monaco.

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

hoodman

Re: Making progress on my Monaco.

Post by hoodman »

An in-hull transducer cannot shoot through wood, at least according to Raymarine. Also you want to mount it at least several feet from your motor and run the wire from it to your head unit away from other power wires to avoid interference.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

sscobra

Post by sscobra »

Can someone recommend a bilge pump? I have been looking at Rule, Attwood, and Johnson. They all basically work the same way, which I find a little disturbing. The manual ones with a float switch all seem to turn on when the water gets 2" deep in the bilge and shut off when it drops to 3/4". I really don't want 2" of water in my hull, let alone 3/4". It seems that all the ones that I looked at with an automatic water sensing detector (not a float switch) got very bad reviews. The Rule 25S seems to be the worst are far as reviews are concerned. They all seem to fail within a year. Any suggestions? Thanks. Skip
Built the Glen-L Monaco, 2016.

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

I had a Rule 300gph with float switch in a sailboat that was in the water all the time. The pump never failed, the shaft leaked all the time. The switch stuck on and ran the battery down. I've never had a problem with the ones on the Tahoe. The Tahoe is not in the water but a few days at a time. Last year my, at the Gathering, the shaft seal was almost gone and we could not get the packing fixed. The pump worked great.

I'm not endorsing Rule. Mine work.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

I went with the Rule 750 automatic. I have one in the low part of the hull just in front of the seats mounted on the keel. The other is mounted back by the rudder port on the bottom planking. I put the aft one on the bottom blanking so it would pick up water as soon as possible. The front one is in an area where the keel top and bottom planks are nearly the same level (fairing the keel at the area made the keel height low). This area would most likely see the most water as the keel runs downhill to this point from either direction. I put switches that can be set from off/on/auto so I can set the pumps as needed. The Rule auto pumps pick up at 2-1/2" and pump down to 1/2"

Our boats are pretty tight as compared to older traditionally planked boats. The amount of water I found in my bilge after a full day on the water wouldn't even fill a small sponge. As long as the rudder port and the shaft log packing are in good shape, you shouldn't have much water at all and the pumps most likely will never run.

Roberta :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Bob Perkins

Post by Bob Perkins »

Some people do two pumps - a big for issues and a small for low water.

Unless you keep it uncovered, you should not get water in the hull.. I got the sealed bearing packing... zero drip on that..
I never get water really.

HTH
Regards,
Bob Perkins

All the Fun Stuff
https://bperkins.wordpress.com/

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

If your pump fails and you still need to get rid of some water you can pull the drain plug while you're on plane and it will drain out. If it rains you'll get water and also from people boarding after swimming.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

gdcarpenter

Post by gdcarpenter »

For what it's worth

I went with 2 bilge pumps on my ZIP, one is a "Whale" that kicks in at about 3/8" of water and one is a "Rule" that kicks in at a much higher level, sort of a redundancy set up. Both pumps have both automatic operation with a separate dash switch 'override' as backup - on a 3 way switch that allows me to turn on one or both pumps from the dash. Both have anti siphoning or anti-back flow check valves. I have no hull drains in my transom so the bilge pumps are my main water emptying mechanism, both while in the water and/or towing in the rain.

I have had the boat tied to the dock at our water access only camp for a month at a time on several occasions, and overnighted in the water it at a 'Gathering' when near gale force winds hit. The pumps have never let me down, and the 'redundancy' expense is one I do not regret.
This is my first, last and only boat build.

http://www.gdzipbuild.blogspot.com

sscobra

Post by sscobra »

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. I also plan on using two pumps, one up front near the seat and one back by the transom. As you all said, our boats are very tight and shouldn't get much water in them. Thanks gdcarpenter for the suggestion of the Whale pumps. I had not heard of them before. I looked them up and they have one that can pump down to 1/3" of water. I will investigate them further. Thanks again. Skip

sscobra

Post by sscobra »

Making a little progress this week on the mechanicals. Installed the stopcock valve on the water intake, had the rudder machined for the key way, installed the hydraulic cylinder for steering (followed Roberta's advise), and finalized the motor mounts. I have had the engine in and out several times and am getting good at it! I installed aluminum mounts for the front of the engine, but went with mahogany mounts for the rear/transmission. Epoxied and bolted the wood mounts in place. I kept forgetting to measure for the prop shaft, but on the last engine install, managed to make that measurement and placed an order for it. Skip
Attachments
steering1.jpg
motormounts1.jpg
motormounts2.jpg

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

As always Skip, very clean work. After seeing that engine on Sunday, I can imagine the job it must be to get it in and out of the boat.
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

gap998

Post by gap998 »

That's a scary chunk to cut out of the frame! Although I suppose now everything is epoxied together, you've effectively got a unitary construction to distribute the loads.
Gary

Planning a whole fleet, but starting with a Zip...I think.

"Just when you think you've made something idiot-proof, someone builds a better idiot!"

sscobra

Post by sscobra »

You're right Gary! That was a scary chunk to cut out, but there is no choice. Needed to make room for the oil pan and bell housing on the engine. All the other structure will take the load and the engine itself, when bolted in place will also hold the motor stringers in place. Skip

sands35

Post by sands35 »

Looks like you have some fabrications skills, might want to put in a brace to tie either side of the cutout together.

There are also shallower and wider oil pans out there.

billy c

Post by billy c »

Skip- you might want to add a limber in the routered slot in the keel.
...Why not use aluminum angle for the rear mount too?
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

sscobra

Post by sscobra »

Sands35, I am not sure what you mean by a brace to tie the two sides of the cutout together. There is no place to put that brace because the engine sits there. The engine itself will be the brace when it is bolted in place. I apologize if I am not seeing what you mean. Billy, I bought the aluminum motor mounts from Marine Hardware. They are gusseted and look like they can hold a freight train. Unfortunately, the rear engine motor mounts are different than the front ones and Marine Hardware doesn't sell one narrow enough to fit in the space where I have the wood ones. The wood ones rest on the frame and are bolted and epoxied to the motor stringers. Hopefully that will be strong enough. Cleaver idea about putting a limber in the routed slot in the keel. I hadn't thought of that. I put the slot there because the engine oil pan has a fitting and a hose attached to it on the bottom of the pan to drain the oil. The engine sits that low in the boat! Skip

Return to “Power Boats”