Making progress on my Monaco.

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

sscobra

Re: Making progress on my Monaco.

Postby sscobra » Sat May 07, 2016 11:04 am

Finished the second layer of ply on the deck. Fortunately I had enough ply and didn't have to special order anymore of it! Nailed it down around the hull perimeter and around the cockpit perimeters. Then I routed the sheer and transom for the solid piece of Mahogany to tie the sides into the deck. Going to be interesting to glue that piece of wood in and then sand it to match the contour of the sides and decking. Months ago when I attached the side plywood layers, I screwed the layers of ply to the sheer and thought I made sure that the screws where low enough to clear the routing process for the solid wood edge. Well, apparently I didn't. When I routed the port side sheer I hit a number of silicon bronze screws. Needless to say that ruined a $60 router bit very quickly! Nothing I could do about it, so I just kept routing until I got to the correct depth. It was a little tougher with a dull bit, but managed to get it finished. Note to those who are just now doing their sides....remember to put the screws where they won't be in the way of an expensive router bit! Skip
Attachments
deck3.jpg
deck5.jpg
deck4.jpg
Built the Glen-L Monaco, 2016.

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Sat May 07, 2016 1:02 pm

Look's Great!! Been there, done that on the routing the screws.

Roberta :D :D :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

sscobra

Postby sscobra » Wed May 11, 2016 12:02 pm

Made the solid Mahogany sheer pieces and installed them. I came up with a fairly easy way to mount them. I got the idea from Dave Lott's Riviera build blog (Midnight Cry). There are very few places to use clamps, so I made about 4 dozen wood clamps in about an hour. Definitely worth the time! I clamped the sheer pieces in place where I could (cockpit openings) and then worked from the transom toward to bow, hooking the wood clamps over the edge of the sheer and pushing down and toward the center of the boat while screwing the wood clamp down to the deck. I used a piece of wax paper under each clamp to keep from epoxying them to the deck. The section near the bow has quite a curve, so I first steamed the sheer piece. I mounted a number of the wood clamps upside down to the deck and used F-style clamps to pull the sheer piece into place as I worked toward the bow. I also screwed the sheer pieces down where I could with silicon bronze screws. Next up is to start on the covering boards. Skip
Attachments
deck6.jpg
deck7.jpg
deck8.jpg

sscobra

Postby sscobra » Wed May 11, 2016 12:05 pm

Here are a couple of photos of the finished sheer. Sanding them to the profile of the sides will be quite an adventure. I plan on first installing the covering boards and then sanding both the sheer and the edge of the covering boards at the same time. Skip
Attachments
deck9.jpg
deck10.jpg

BarnacleMike

Postby BarnacleMike » Wed May 11, 2016 6:29 pm

Skip, that's really impressive!
-Michael

Built Utility "Perseverance" — completed Aug 2016
Currently building a Zip
My Boatbuilding Blog: http://barnaclemikeboats.blogspot.com/
My Website of Boat Photos: https://michaelsmaddox.wordpress.com

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Wed May 11, 2016 7:48 pm

Super Skip!. That is going to polish off the deck real nice once you get it worked down. Have you purchased the remaining bling for the deck yet? I suspect quite a bit of that can get pretty expensive. I'm thinking the windshield frames for example.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

sscobra

Postby sscobra » Wed May 11, 2016 9:50 pm

Thanks Michael and Carl. Carl, I have all the bling except the rear anchor light and flag pole. I was lucky and found a Chris Craft windshield frame on Ebay about a year ago for a really good price. All the other bling is new hardware that I bought from various sources. It just blows my mind what such hardware can cost! Looking forward to hanging all the jewelry on the hull! Skip

sscobra

Postby sscobra » Fri May 13, 2016 9:39 pm

I am planning on using polished stainless steel rub rails on the Monaco. Does anyone have a recommendation on where to buy it? Hollow back or solid? One place I looked at has it in 12 foot lengths but wants over $150 just in shipping costs! Skip

sscobra

Postby sscobra » Tue May 17, 2016 10:23 pm

Purchased all the wood I needed for the deck. I bought one 1.5" thick piece of Mahogany and had the lumber yard re-saw it for me. My bandsaw just can't handle an 11" wide, 14' long piece of wood! I was able to re-saw the wood I will use for the planks. Spent most of one day thickness planing all the pieces, so have to show the usual sawdust pile! First up is the finishing boards. I thought I could make each side finishing board out of 3 pieces (2 joints) but turned out that I needed 4 pieces (3 joints). At first I thought I would just butt join them but Ozzieboat convinced me that the traditional "S" joint is the way to go. As you all probably know by now, I like to use the router a lot and use jigs whenever possible to ease a process. So I made a jig in about an hour to cut the "S" joints. I used a guide bushing in the router and it is critical that the jig pieces are spaced exactly the same as the bushing diameter to get the best possible cut. So I made a couple of 1/2" thick spacers to hold the pieces of the jig apart while I screwed them in place. After using the jig, one change I would make would be to make the wood guides wider to help keep the router from tipping. I cut the 3 joints on the starboard side finishing boards fairly quickly but when I went over to do the port side, I realized to make it look right, I needed a mirror image of the jig. So I took the jig apart and moved all the wood guides to the other side of the plywood. I will do the port side tomorrow. Skip
Attachments
deck11.jpg
Anyone need any Mahogany dust?
deck12.jpg
Router guide bushing with 1/4" spiral up-cut bit.
deck13.jpg
Finished router jig.

sscobra

Postby sscobra » Tue May 17, 2016 10:37 pm

I am happy with the joint the jig produced. Here is a photo of the joint right after routing without any sanding or fitting. The trickiest part of the process is clamping all the pieces together in such a way that the finished joint is at the right angle and the finishing boards cover the correct amount of the deck. Once everything is in position, it takes about 1 minute to cut the joint. After I finish the port side, I will try to figure a way to use the router to cut the inside curve of the finishing boards! Skip
Attachments
deck14.jpg
Routed joint.
deck15.jpg
Four pieces in place and the outer edge roughly finished.

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Wed May 18, 2016 5:50 am

Skip

Twelve years ago, if I had seen the pictures of what people are doing now, I would never have taken on the Tahoe. The boats just keep getting better. Sometimes, I feel like I should stay on the porch.

Never mind that I didn't have tools or anybody to ask. Then I found this forum and at least found people to ask and share a beer.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

jamundsen

Postby jamundsen » Wed May 18, 2016 5:59 am

I started 5 years ago and the things I see today astound me. It's a good thing I decided my boat was for me to enjoy. The boats being built today are absolute masterpieces. Having said that I'm still bringing mine to the Gathering flaws, errors, mistakes and all. It's all about the fun.
John Amundsen
Monte Carlo
Lakeland,Fl

Work tends to get in the way of boat building

Soloboat

Postby Soloboat » Wed May 18, 2016 7:47 am

Those joints look superb. Like Bill said, not to hijack this thread but all I had when I started was Barry and what is now
the Archives and no build pics of the boat I was building. It is a delightful to see all the expertise here on this forum and all the great boats being built :)
) Champagne dreams and wishes are possible on a beer budget. Just build the boat.
Nice curves are easy on the eyes.
Go sell crazy somewhere else we're all stocked up here."As Good As It Gets" Jack Nicholson.

steveh41

Postby steveh41 » Wed May 18, 2016 8:59 am

Looks terrific Skip!

Agree on the value of this forum in advancing the art...

Steve
The longest journey begins with a single step… then repeat as necessary!

Cabron

Postby Cabron » Wed May 18, 2016 12:49 pm

Hi Skip. You bordered the sheer and transom with strip before laying down the cover boards.

Just wondering why you chose not to carry the plywood to the edge and did the strip

Looks great!

Return to “Power Boats”