Making progress on my Monaco.

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Jimbob

Re: Making progress on my Monaco.

Post by Jimbob »

Your boat is absolutely beautiful!

I just finished downloading the pictures of the interior of your boat which I will use for reference when it is time to do my interior. I really like the style and the color of your seating. I plan on doing something similar in my boat. Looks like you have storage behind the front seat. I was planning on having storage under the rear seat, but now I think I will do both the front and rear seats with a piano hinge and a strap to lift the seats from the back. I also like your the carpet. I was thinking of trying to be original with a vinyl floor, but after looking at yours, I think I will go with carpet.

Thanks for the Pics.

Jim Neeley
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

sscobra

Post by sscobra »

Jim, I have storage under the front seats, in the bow area, and storage on both sides of the engine compartment. You can see what I did on and around page 23 of this posting. There is access to the storage compartments beside the engine compartment from both the front and rear cockpits. It is open to the rear cockpit, but behind the front seat back in the front cockpit. There is additional space below and behind the rear seats but it is not finished off. It is where the exhaust hoses run, all the plumbing for the water intake, and the battery sits, so the space is only partially useful for storage. Skip
Built the Glen-L Monaco, 2016.

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Thanks Skip!
Forgot to ask. How did you attach the carpeting, and where did you get it? The carpets were glued down in a previous runabout that I owned. I am now thinking of using snaps so they are easy to remove or replace. I once saw the snap in carpet in a Wellcraft Offshore Cigarette Boat. Seemed like a good idea.
Jim
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

rleete

Post by rleete »

Google "screw in snaps". They are available from a lot of places.

Fabric stores usually carry them.

sscobra

Post by sscobra »

Jim, my front carpet pieces are just sitting on the floor because it is a recessed cavity and the upholsterer made them a tight fit. The rear ones have velcro strips to hold them in place, but they are also a snug fit on two sides so I am going to see how well they stay in place before I stick the velcro pieces down. Skip

sscobra

Post by sscobra »

Decided to try to start the engine today. Hooked up the cooling water and a friend, Glenn, and I looked for leaks. Found a couple of very small ones. Cycled the ignition switch a few times to prime the fuel system, and hit start. It started right up. That surprised me! I didn't expect it to start so easily. It purrs like an angry kitten! Did find that the transmission is running backwards from what PCM told me. Just have to re-route the transmission cable in the throttle control unit and that will fix that. Just a few more things to take care of then off to the lake. Maybe sometime next week! Here is a youtube video of the engine running. Skip

https://youtu.be/SJ9HlWQrVjQ

jenko

Post by jenko »

sounding good, exciting time , :D

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

Sounds Great!!! Fuel injection is wonderful!!!

Roberta :D :D :D :D :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

Now you're makin music!
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

sscobra

Post by sscobra »

MADE THE FIRST SPLASH!!! I attempted to put the boat in the water last Wednesday, the day before Thanksgiving. The weather was good, though a little windy. A longtime friend, Glenn, and my boat building friend, Carl (mrintense, Building the Vera Cruise, here on the forum) came out to help and enjoy a ride on the lake. It wasn't to be. For some still unexplained reason the engine would not start. It ran beautifully just a few days prior, but this time it just would not start. It definitely became flooded, which is unusual for a fuel injected engine. Glenn and I brought it home and took the ignition system apart and checked everything involved in producing spark. Everything was normal. Put it all back together and tried again. After some serious coughing it finally started. Once again it ran beautifully. We ran it for 15 or 20 minutes, stopped it, restarted it, waited some time, and restarted it again. The next day, Thanksgiving, was a beautiful day, but family comes first, so no splash that day. Friday was miserable, windy and rainy. Saturday was partly sunny, so we decided to try again. That morning before heading to the lake, I hooked up the water to the boat again to try to start the engine. Started and ran nicely. Called Glenn and Carl and we were off to the lake. Between the three of us, we probably have a few hours experience with boats so we knew it was going to be interesting getting it in and out of the lake. Got it in the water and it floated! The engine fired right up and I managed to get it over to a dock. Checked everything for leaks and now it was time to go for a ride. Carl and Glenn insisted that I go out on the first ride with just my wife, Laura. Off we went and what a fun time that was. I made a couple of rookie mistakes, which I will talk about at a later date, when I can get a video posted. Came back to the dock and Glenn, Carl, and I took it out for another ride. The boat performed beautifully and I still can't get the smile off my face when I think about it. We each took a turn at the wheel, then decided to call it a day, because we still had to face getting it back on the trailer. There is a lot of testing to do, such as determining if I have the right prop to keep the max rpm within range, but we decided that would be on another day (or days!). I don't have any guides on the trailer yet so it was somewhat difficult getting it and keeping it lined up on the trailer. We managed to do so and successfully got it out of the water. For now, the boat is grounded, so I can paint the boot stripe and mount the cutwater. Towing the boat is definitely hard on my truck. This last tow to the lake showed some serious brake noise so will probably need to put on some new rotors and brake pads. Below are a few photos of the boat by the dock. I will work on putting a video together this week and will post that when I can. Skip
Attachments
launch1.jpg
launch2.jpg
launch3.jpg

jenko

Post by jenko »

fantastic :D

Ozzieboat

Post by Ozzieboat »

Skip
Congratulations on a job well done. No serious problems, so the launch was a 100% success.

Captnick

Post by Captnick »

Congrats to you Skip! I think your early engine troubles were just the lake spirits sending you a reminder that you'll be in a hostile environment, even on the best days, and that you've got to have everything tip top before you cast off. When you get the bootstripe and cutwater done, you'll have a real centerfold on your hands- Bravo Zulu!
Nick

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

Congrats!!! That Boat Grin is called the Glen L Grin, much like the RV Grin when we first fly the RV planes we build. You can't wipe it off, so ENJOY!!!

Roberta :D :D :D :D :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

:) always grin for the first splash. Beautiful Boat!

That Grin... Kens has still has the pillow from the first night after his splash. It has the imprint of his grin!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Return to “Power Boats”