Making progress on my Monaco.

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

BayouBengal

Re: Making progress on my Monaco.

Postby BayouBengal » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:21 pm

I think the best place to sell a boat is at a boat show with the boat in the water ready to take a prospective buyer out for a test drive right there on the spot. I say this because that's how I sold my Squirt. It was bought by a divorced middle-aged woman for the full asking price who had no intention of buying a boat when she came to the show. And while I'd decided I'd be selling the boat at some point in the near future, I actually didn't have a "for sale" sign on it at the show and had no expectations that I'd be selling it that day.

Buying a unique and special item such as a handcrafted wooden boat for many people is an impulse buy. They see the eye candy, they ride in it, drive it around the lake once or twice, and simply can't resist it. So, you want to be ready to close the deal and deliver the goods immediately. Given time, the impulse buyer will come to their senses and think through all the negatives, such as where will I store it, will I use it enough to really justify owning it, how will I maintain it, etc., and probably decide against the purchase.

In the case of my boat above, I know personally that the lady wishes she'd not bought the boat because she wasn't prepared to own a boat (any boat). But I have no guilt over selling it to her even though from our discussion I suspected that taking care of the boat may be a problem for her. She wanted to buy it that day and willingly put the cash in my hand. Who am I to deny her desired impulses.

By the way, like everyone else on here, I think your boat is extraordinary and a cut above the usual. Because of that, you probably don't have to sell it to an impulse buyer to get top-dollar; but I wouldn't exclude them and bringing the boat to a show is where you're most likely to find the impulse buyer.

sscobra

Postby sscobra » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:33 pm

Thank you for the suggestion, BayouBengal. At the only boat show that I have had the boat in, I let it be known that I would be selling the boat. One couple was very interested and the husband kept coming back to look at it and ask more questions. The wife loved the boat also, but she seemed to have the final say. She told him he could buy the boat if and when he sold his present boat. I gave him my card, but haven't heard from him yet. Guess he hasn't found an impulse buyer for his boat yet! The problem I am going to have is that there are very few boat shows here in Texas. There is one coming up in May (a big show) called Keels and Wheels. If I don't find a buyer by then, I will take it to the show. Skip
Built the Glen-L Monaco, 2016.

speedracer

Postby speedracer » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:11 pm

Skip, I haven’t visited the forum in a while and just saw your decision to sell your boat. I am blown away but I certainly can understand where you are coming from. I used to build hot rods and loan them to my friends to break. I discovered a long time ago that I enjoy the challenge of the build much more that the using. I think it will be the same for my Monaco although I plan to keep it for a while.

I have realized that the Monaco design is somewhat limited in its use due to the seating arrangements. It’s hard to admit after all of this work but if I had to do it again I would have built something like the Tahoe 23. I’ve studied the design quite a bit and have even made some drawings to expand certain dimensions within recommended tolerances. The wife heard me mention this to friends and looked somewhat shocked. We shall see. I feel that building a boat is like an ex-wife – you need at least one under your belt before moving on to the real thing. It worked for me.

Not sure how to phase this but I was wondering what these models are worth. I am fast approaching the time to register and insure my boat but I have no clue how to go about this process. If you are selling, I wonder how you are going to determine a price? None of my business of course, but I am sure all builders wonder about this at some point.

I can say this about your build, whoever has the good fortune to purchase yours, they will be buying one of the finest builds many of us have ever seen. I don’t have furniture in my house finished as nice as your boat. If you build another, I certainly would like to see how you could top it. Good luck my friend and keep us posted.
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Albert Einstien

sscobra

Postby sscobra » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:52 pm

Thanks Chris for the nice comments. By the way, your boat is really coming along nicely! Can't wait to see it finished. I sometimes have a little regret for building a two cockpit boat. It is not easy to communicate with the rear cockpit when the boat is moving. I could have installed mufflers to make that easier, but right now, love the noise the engine makes! I settled on the Monaco because I really like the long fore deck. It really makes the boat look like it is moving fast even sitting at the dock. As far as deciding how much to insure the boat for, I insured my boat for what it cost me to build it. Boat insurance is expensive! Skip

speedracer

Postby speedracer » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:45 pm

Thanks Skip. I'll be posting more on my string as I am on a tear to finish as soon as possible. Summer is almost here in Louisiana.
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Albert Einstien

sscobra

Postby sscobra » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:17 pm

As I mentioned earlier, I am selling my Monaco. I decided to try an auction site for the first attempt. It is an unusual place to sell a boat, but they have sold several Chris Craft's in the past. It is called Bring A Trailer and is used mostly to sell autos and a lot of very expensive cars sell there. So it has a viewing of a lot of people with money so maybe someone will see it. The auction site link is: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2016-glen-l-monaco/
The auction has only been up for a few hours and has already been viewed over 1400 times. Lot of nice compliments. I didn't want to post this on this forum at first but because of the nice compliments for Glen-L boats, I wanted you all to see how our boats can be appreciated. I really doubt it will sell but you never know. I would appreciate it if you would let your friends know about this auction, just in case there is someone out there who wants to buy a mahogany boat (or just doesn't know it yet how much they want too!). Thanks. Skip

billy c

Postby billy c » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:42 am

Skip,
Such a beautiful job you did on the Monaco. Your boat presents well on that site and you seem to have a lot of action. Never know where you will find your buyer. At Winnipesaukee there are lots of classic boat lovers and folks with $$$. You could try it in the classified section of our lakes forum https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/vbclassified.php I would put a $ number on our site as it won't scare these folks away. :wink:
Billy
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:40 am

It's already out of my price range! Good luck with the auction!

Jimbob

Postby Jimbob » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:48 am

Hi Skip,
Sorry to hear that you are selling that beautiful boat. I have referred to your build many times while building mine. I have given a site below that sells classic boats. Looks like they have been doing this for years. They have lots of classic boats for sale and show boats that they have sold in the past. I have seen some glen-l boats there. I refer to their pictures of the boats they have sold or are for sale often.
http://www.classicboat.com
Good Luck!
Jim
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

Brad Tucker

Postby Brad Tucker » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:37 pm

Beautiful boat, Skip, and best of luck selling it. I too love the challenge of the build, and now I find myself sitting around waiting on the perfect combination of good weather, off work, and wife home so we can use it. That is what frustrates me. On top of that, when the WX is great, SHE wants to go fishing, and use the worn out fish and ski! I mentioned possibly building a fishing boat. I am still alive, but I think the look she gave me meant "probably not." Again, that is a beautiful boat!

speedracer

Postby speedracer » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:16 pm

Skip,

Did your boat sell on the auction site? It appears that it did.

speedracer

Postby speedracer » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:26 pm

Skip,

I just figured out how to drill down on the auction site. Clearly it did sell. That was one beautiful boat. Good luck on your next project.

billy c

Postby billy c » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:36 pm

Skip-
Congratulations on the sale of your Monaco. It sure is a beautiful boat and the winning bidder is bringing it to my neighborhood :D .
Just may see it in person this summer.
Looks like you have an order for another from the running commentary on that site.
Keep us in the loop with what you are working on next!
Billy
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

sscobra

Postby sscobra » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:09 pm

Thanks everyone. Yes the boat did sell and now I am sad. It was definitely an experience. It didn't sell for what I hoped it would (does it ever?) but I got what I expected. The way the bidding was going, it looked like it would go really high, but then it just stopped. It is an international auction site so I got comments from all over the world. I was blown away by all the very nice comments and wanted to thank vupilot and BayouBengal for the nice comments they made during the auction. I have talked to the new owner and he seems like a very nice guy. He made a completely spontaneous bid and never thought he was going to win. Boy was he surprised. He wants to fly out and "lay some hands on it" before he arranges for shipping it. He lives in California but he and his wife recently bought a lake house on Lake Eden, in Vermont. The boat should have a great home. I haven't decided what my next project will be, but whatever it is, I shortly will have space to work on it! Skip

BayouBengal

Postby BayouBengal » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:37 pm

Yes the boat did sell and now I am sad.

Of course, you're sad. I'm pretty sure everyone on the Glen-L forum is sad to see your boat go. :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

That Bring-A-Trailer website is quite interesting and adds just one more distraction in my life that takes me away from more important things that I should be doing. I hope that I get over it soon and quit looking at it, otherwise, I expect at some point someone somewhere will put something on there that in an impulsive moment think that I just can't live without and then it will cost me some money.

Congratulations on the sale since that's what you wanted to do in order to clear the way for your next project. It's easy to see from following your build that your craftsmanship is a notch above many of the rest of us. There's a lot that can be learned from following your work and so now we're all anxiously awaiting your next project and hoping it's another wooden boat so you can take us along for the construction ride all over again.

Return to “Power Boats”