Making progress on my Monaco.

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

hoodman

Re: Making progress on my Monaco.

Post by hoodman »

I'd be interested to follow along with the next project whatever it ends up being.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

sscobra

Post by sscobra »

Thanks BayouBengal! Sorry I got you hooked on the Bring A Trailer site! Yes, it is very addictive. I am really not a notch above anybody here, but thanks for the compliment. My boat came out the way it did by my standing on the shoulders of those who built before me. There were many builders here that really inspired me and I learned a lot from everyone on here. I am not going anywhere. I monitor this site everyday. I haven't decided what I want to do next. If you all promise to keep it quiet and not tell my wife, I am thinking of building an airplane. I will have to put it on floats to keep up with the nautical theme! Skip
Built the Glen-L Monaco, 2016.

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Skip

Several people here have built airplanes. So, you can still come here for help.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Well Skip, I know that must have been hard to do. The new owner is getting a nice work of art and I hope that he takes good care of her. I'll always remember that first launch. It was a blast.

If you build plane, any ideas which design you are considering? What type of material? I once considered doing this many many ears ago, but ultimately the cost was far too much for me at the time.
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

sscobra

Post by sscobra »

Thanks Bill. I will be coming here very often to keep up with all the great builds going on. Thanks Carl! It was hard to sell the boat, but in the long run it was the right thing to do. I have several planes that I am interested in such as a RV, biplane like the Pitts or Christen Eagle, or even a seaplane. I will probably have to win a lottery to be able to afford to build one. Right now it is just a dream, but building a boat was a dream also! Skip

billy c

Post by billy c »

Skip-
An airplane is probably easier than what you just built :wink:
Billy
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

tightbox

Post by tightbox »

Skip, I came here see your build after following the auction on BAT -- AMAZING work!

Have you ever done any restoration work? I recently acquired a stripped 1954 Chris Craft Riviera and I'm wondering which way to take it. It is stored at Lake Medina, just south of Dripping Springs. Any interest in helping guide my next steps in the restoration?

sscobra

Post by sscobra »

I have never done any restoration on boats, but I will be happy to help in anyway I can. Skip

sscobra

Post by sscobra »

Well, the day finally arrived to say goodbye to my Monaco. As you all know I sold it on an auction site, called Bring a Trailer. Well that deal fell through, fortunately. The auction winner was going to put the boat in Lake Eden, which turned out to be very small. It is a 190 acre lake of which only about 60 acres is deep enough for the Monaco. It turns out that the winner realized he couldn't put it in that lake so he decided he was going to sell it right away. He took his sweet time getting the money to me, so I eventually gave him a deadline for full payment, which he couldn't meet. Also, fortunately another bidder reached out to me, offering to buy the boat at the auction price if the deal fell through. This bidder assured me he could send me the entire amount at a moments notice and also very, very kindly offered to cover the auction buyer's fee the first bidder payed to Bring a Trailer. I presented this to the first bidder and he accepted. The Monaco is leaving the country! The new owner is from the Ontario, Canada area and lives on Lake Joseph. He recently purchased a cottage and boat house on Lake of the Bays, an incredibly beautiful area. The Monaco will be a perfect match for either of the lakes he puts it in. He drove down from Canada (about 2000 miles) and arrived yesterday to look at the boat, and fortunately it met his expectations. The new owner is a great, honest person and I feel like I made a lifetime friend in the short time he was here. I arranged for a shrink wrapper to come up from Houston to wrap the boat for the long drive back to Canada. The company is Texas Mobile Shrink Wrap and I highly recommend them to anyone. The weather here has been very nice except for the day the shrink wrapper came. Fortunately they were able to wrap the boat inside my shop in a timely manner and at a very reasonable price that the new owner kindly covered. Shortly thereafter we hooked up the trailer to his tow vehicle and off he went (in the rain) back to Canada. Very sad to see it leave, but so happy to see where it is going. Here is a link to a video of the Monaco's last moments here in Texas. Skip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2YMFa6oFkM
Attachments
shrink1.jpg
shrink2.jpg
shrink3.jpg
Last edited by sscobra on Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Skip

I'm sad but glad for you. I think that everyone here gets a little attached to all of OUR boats.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

vupilot

Post by vupilot »

What a interesting turn of events. I'm glad it found a great home.

speedracer

Post by speedracer »

Skip, I'm glad it all worked out for you. I feel like I lost a boat too.
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Albert Einstien

tysman52

Post by tysman52 »

Glad it found a good home skip! Sad to see it go I’m sure. On to the next project!

JT

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Well I know that had to be hard. It was hard for me to watch it leaving. Good luck Skip with whatever project you choose to do next. My own personal experience with your workmanship makes me know that it will be a beauty.
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

sscobra

Post by sscobra »

Thanks guys! I am spending some time trying to come up with something to work on, but for now, I am putting up shelves in the now vacant part of my shop. Lots of room to expand into with all my tools and scrap wood (lots and lots of scrap wood)! Skip

Return to “Power Boats”