Making progress on my Monaco.

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

PeterG

Re: Making progress on my Monaco.

Postby PeterG » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:06 am

Skip- Well done, awesome looking and sounds great! A fine example of craftsmanship the rest of us to aspire to!

-Pete
Last edited by PeterG on Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:18 pm

Well, it looks great, but here's a small example of what it can do. Watch around the 1 minute mark. :D :D

https://youtu.be/9s9IiNh__XA
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Dave Grason

Postby Dave Grason » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:48 pm

WOW, that's gotta feel really good!

And it doesn't seem to have much of a shortage in the horsepower or performance department.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

sscobra

Postby sscobra » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:11 pm

Thanks guys! Thanks for posting the video Carl. That was a great moment! Neither Glenn or I thought to see how fast we were going or what the rpm was. We think it was only at about 4000 rpm. We still had 1000 rpm to go! I think we need to wait for a calmer day for full speed runs. The boat handled very well. It seemed to really smooth out at higher speeds. Almost like it was flying above the water. The engine break-in period is 25 hours. The first five hours is spent going to full rpm from idle for 1 minute, cruise at 2800-3000 rpm for half an hour, then repeat. After the 5 hours is up, the engine can be run at cruise speeds that are about 75-80% of wide open throttle rpm, varying the cruise speed by 100rpm. I think I will need to drink a gallon of "calming" juice before I get the nerve to go to full rpm! The tow vehicle is almost back to normal. Today I worked on the brakes. Had to completely rebuild the front brakes. Tomorrow I will test drive it to see how well the brakes work. Then back to the boat, painting the waterline and installing the cutwater. Skip
Built the Glen-L Monaco, 2016.

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:22 am

Wow, performance looks excellent!

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:56 am

Skip

I'd guess at 4000 rpm you are running 40 +/-. At 5000 rpm you'll be 50 +/-. That's fast in these boats. Be careful! These were really intended for 40 max.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

BarnacleMike

Postby BarnacleMike » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:22 pm

Congratulations on the launch! The boat looks great. Very impressive performance in the video, too!

(and like Bill said, be careful with that!)
-Michael

Built Utility "Perseverance" — completed Aug 2016
Currently building a Zip
My Boatbuilding Blog: http://barnaclemikeboats.blogspot.com/
My Website of Boat Photos: https://michaelsmaddox.wordpress.com

sscobra

Postby sscobra » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:45 pm

Thanks guys. I definitely plan on being very careful with this boat, particularly since I have very limited experience with boating in general. I am going to have to take it slow. Even though the engine break-in process says to go wide open throttle, I will work up to that slowly, if at all. I need to find the limits of the prop and engine, not to mention my own limits! I have to make sure that I can't exceed the engine's maximum rpm with the prop that I am using. I would be interested in hearing how others have broken in their engine. I don't want to hurt the engine by not following the manufacturer's technique, but I also don't want to hurt the boat or its passengers by exceeding safe limits for the hull. Skip

Dave Grason

Postby Dave Grason » Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:47 am

neel thompson wrote:Very nice Skip. Congratulations. Any chance we will get to see her first hand in Tennessee? Neel

Yes, I'm with Neel here. I would REALLY love to see this boat in person, too. I know it's a commitment but I'm really planning on taking a lot of photos, videos and putting together a program this next year like Chris Atwood did year before last. I would love to include this boat.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:12 am

Skip

The boat can be run at 50 with no real risk to the boat itself. But, if it's a little rough they may get squirrely. Just take your time and learn the boat. You have a break-in time also.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:21 am

I'm sure you will quickly get the hang of launch and retrieval. Many times early in the morning the lakes are much smoother. If you get out early and the lake is nice and glassy I'm sure you will be able to find WOT. You might wake up some lake dwellers but if I could afford to live on the lake I would not mind an early morning V8 screaming by. Especially if it sounded like yours.

40 will probably be around top speed in my boat. No one will want to ski or tube at 50 but it will be fun once you get the feel of it! I liked Carl's reaction when you finally put the hammer down!

sscobra

Postby sscobra » Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:31 pm

Neel and Dave, I will consider bringing it to the gathering. I am not sure my tow vehicle will handle that long drive! Do most of you tow the boat uncovered? I would be afraid that the cover whipping in the wind would damage the finish. On the other hand, towing it uncovered could also damage the finish with road debris thrown up on the boat. Bill, you definitely are correct in that I will have a long break-in period! Matt, I couldn't tell at first whether we scared Carl with the acceleration or he was enjoying it. He had a big smile on his face! Skip

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:21 pm

Skip

I always tow uncovered. The cover can definitely buff thru the coatings! I do have cockpit covers that keep rain out. If you do get some road grime, I'll bet we could find a hose. So far, I don't think anyone had an issue.

Most of your tow will be Interstate. So, the road in pretty good and the grades not too bad. not sure of your route. But, Texas to Birmingham is fairly flat. B'ham., north has a few hills. The last few miles on I-24 is a little hilly. The 2 miles to Hales bar from I 24 is flat.

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

jenko

Postby jenko » Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:57 pm

Skip the going to full throttle during break in does not mean run it at max revs at full throttle ,it means accelerate at full throttle to put max gas pressure on the rings to help bed them in , and then back off. The same is done in an auto engine and a dozen times is usually sufficient.

neel thompson

Postby neel thompson » Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:31 am

Skip,
I have towed my boat to Tennessee from Philadelphia (11 hour run) four times. Also from Philadelphia to Mystic, Connecticut, Philadelphia to upstate NY, as well as many trips down I 95 to Maryland. All without a scratch. I usually put cockpit covers on as Bill mentioned, but never a full cover. The boat does get a little dirty, but never damaged. I would say "knock on wood", but that would be wrong to do !! Your boat looks great and since our boats are about the same size, weight, and HP, I know how uncomfortable it is to open the throttle all the way. They do get a little unstable when you exceed 45 or 50. I love to cruise at 2500 to 3000 rpm and listen to the music coming from the transom. Hope to see you in TN next September and I'm sure I speak for everyone in saying we would love you to drag Carl along with you..... Take Care,,,,Neel

Return to “Power Boats”