Making progress on my Monaco.

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

sscobra

Re: Making progress on my Monaco.

Postby sscobra » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:07 pm

Little update: I managed to remove all the old fuel and replaced the two fuel filters. While I was at the dealer getting the filters I talked to them about the water pump impeller. They suggested it be replaced every year even if the boat hasn't been used. Since my engine is 2 years old now, but only run for about 3 hours, I decided it was cheap insurance ($50) to replace it and it would give me the chance to learn how to do it. Turned out it was very easy to replace, but I think they were a little over eager to make a sale, because the original impeller looked and felt brand new. Oh well. Using the info that jenko posted, I was able to run a test on the fuel pumps. I pulled the fuel pump relay and shorted two of the contacts in the relay socket for 10 seconds to turn on the two fuel pumps. I also removed the fuel return line from the fuel control cell and put a shorter piece of hose in its place and into a small container. Then by running the fuel pumps for 10 seconds, I was able to verify correct fuel pump output of about 18 oz of fuel. Yesterday, my friend Glenn came over and we pulled the boat out of my shop and started the engine. It ran perfectly. We tried to reproduce what happened on the lake, by running it for awhile, letting it sit in the hot sun for an hour and restarting the engine. Again it ran perfectly. So maybe its fixed. We will see for sure the next time we take it out. I put together a short video of the cruise on Lake Austin from last weekend. The audio is not very good. Will have to find a better way to mount the GoPro cameras to get better sound. Skip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3ej2TpSr9g
Built the Glen-L Monaco, 2016.

BayouBengal

Postby BayouBengal » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:48 pm

Beautiful boat and great scenery. Looks like you were staying plenty dry in the Captain's chair; so, all is good, no spray rail necessary. :D

jenko

Postby jenko » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:13 pm

Great video, hope you have your engine issues sorted :)

speedracer

Postby speedracer » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:46 pm

I loved the video Skip. Keeps me pushing ahead on mine. Please keep us all posted concerning the fuel issue and if you've got it sorted.
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Albert Einstien

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:08 pm

Skip

Keep the old impeller as a spare. If you need it on the water, you know it fits.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

psychobilly

Postby psychobilly » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:17 pm

Skip,

I pull my WP impeller in late Oct, early Nov when I lay her up for winter. ( I know, that's late for our northern friends :lol: ) I place it in a zip loc and sit it in the Drivers seat with my bilge plug. I normally run it two to three seasons, but I always have a back up in the boat ready. When I do finally swap impellers, I throw out the back up, pull the one in the WP, it then becomes BU, and then new one goes in.

Not too sure about your beautiful boat shed if its heated? If so, you have it made. I'm in a normal rental boat storage away from home and since I work overseas I have to do a full winterization. I have added Raw water drains on my manifolds and my exhaust to make this simple from Discount Inboard Marine. They are GREAT people to deal with and a GREAT number to have in your mobile when on the lake and you experience issues like you did last week. There's been several times I have had the gremlins on the water. I call DIM up, ask for Vance in their Tech dept and he's always got an answer. I can't say enough about them.

Nice video as others have said and funny to hear the girls screaming from the spray cooling them down in our Texas heat. Prolly best seat to have other than helm. :wink:

sscobra

Postby sscobra » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:18 pm

Thanks for all the great comments. I do manage to stay dry in the captain's chair! The only time I get wet is if I slow down too quickly in the swells, so that doesn't happen anymore. The girls were enjoying themselves in the back. For some odd reason Mary was the only one who got a little wet on the port side. Maybe because my wife was on the starboard side, I knew better than to get her wet! Great idea, Bill, about keeping the old impeller as a spare. I hadn't considered taking it on the boat with me. I guess I had better take all the appropriate tools also. When I changed the impeller out, I expected a fare bit of water to come out with it, but it was dry. Not a drop of water came out of the pump housing. I did clamp off the upper hose going from the top of the pump to the heat exchanger, so maybe that helped. Psychobilly, my boat is spoiled. I keep it in a heated and cooled shop so I don't have to winterize it (except from now on keep stabil in the fuel). I agree with you about Discount Inboard Marine. They are great people. I bought my engine and prop shaft from them. I hadn't thought about calling them for technical advise. Good call. I will call them for some advise on my (hopefully fixed) problem. Skip

Bob Perkins

Postby Bob Perkins » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:16 am

Hope your engine problem is solved..

They are a little aggressive on the impeller - My engine sat for a number of years during the build - then I used it a few seasons - and it did fail!

I did't realize the big V8 had an impeller (duh) - I just figured a more traditional water pump was at work.

That said - the engine shop told me replace every 3 years, but because the rubber deteriorates over time. He even said to not buy one and store it, get a fresh one when you are going to replace it..
I've replaced it on schedule once since then.. No issues.

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:53 pm

Huh, I missed all of this. Skip, really glad you got the engine sorted out. Nice to see you getting some use out of her now. I can just imagine how hard it is to come out to your shop and not be able to take the boat out whenever you want. Probably a lot like waiting to get it built. I definitely know what that feels like!
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

sscobra

Postby sscobra » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:03 pm

Bob, it is good to hear that the impeller lasts longer than 1 year. I will most likely follow the PCM maintenance schedule just to be safe. I will keep the one I pulled out as a spare, but when it is time to replace it I will buy a new one. My engine has both a conventional water pump for the antifreeze side of the engine and the impeller pump for the lake cooling water side. Makes it a lot easier to store in the winter. Carl, not sure the engine issues have been solved yet, but hopefully so. Won't know for sure until I get it back in the water for an extended period. Yeah, building my shop addition to build the boat in made it very nice to build it, but a pain to remove it. It is not a one person operation and even with two takes about 15 minutes. My wife is able to help me with it now, but it stresses her out a lot! The first time we did it took almost an hour, so we are making progress! The ideal solution would be to build another garage to store it in, but I don't really want to spend the money for that and my wife wants nothing to do with another structure on the property. So for now I will have to live with it the way it is. Skip

sscobra

Postby sscobra » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:55 pm

My wife and I attended the 35th annual Hill Country Boat show in Horseshoe Bay, TX this past weekend and took the Monaco for its first boat show. There were about 30 boats there, including a few fiberglass ones. It is an ACBS event, but it was not officially judged. The members present were asked to vote for the best wood boat and the best fiberglass boat. I was completely surprised when they chose my Monaco as the best wood boat. It was quite an honor to be voted best boat by the owners of the beautiful original boats in attendance. It says a lot for the attention that Glen-L boats receive. Skip
Attachments
pic5.jpg
pic2.jpg
pic1.jpg

sscobra

Postby sscobra » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:57 pm

Here are a few more photos. Skip
Attachments
pic3.jpg
pic4.jpg
pic6.jpg

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:10 pm

sscobra wrote:My wife and I attended the 35th annual Hill Country Boat show in Horseshoe Bay, TX this past weekend and took the Monaco for its first boat show. There were about 30 boats there, including a few fiberglass ones. It is an ACBS event, but it was not officially judged. The members present were asked to vote for the best wood boat and the best fiberglass boat. I was completely surprised when they chose my Monaco as the best wood boat. It was quite an honor to be voted best boat by the owners of the beautiful original boats in attendance. It says a lot for the attention that Glen-L boats receive. Skip

I for one am not surprised. I've seen Skip's boat in person and have had the pleasure of riding in it. The workmanship is exquisite. Congratulations Skip, :D :D
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:18 pm

Well Done, Skip!!! Beautiful boat.

Roberta :D :D :D :D :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:46 pm

Skip

Makes me :D :) :!:

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Return to “Power Boats”