Progress pics and questions on Aluminum Double Eagle build

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

North

Re: Progress pics and questions on Aluminum Double Eagle build

Postby North » Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:30 pm

Transom fully welded and finished welding bow and forward spray rails / chines.
Put prop on. Just need trailer, steering ram fixed and seawater pump to sea trail.
Attachments
IMG_20160626_154109.jpg
IMG_20160626_154139.jpg
IMG_20160626_154148.jpg

kens

Postby kens » Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:32 pm

Out of curiosity, what size prop you starting with?
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

North

Postby North » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:59 pm

It's a 15" x 14" 3 blade.

Checked out my crankshaft / and accessory pulley bolt pattern, to see if a commonly available Johnson seawater pump would fit.. Cummins crank/ balancer has 4 bolts with 1 3/4" spacing between bolt centers. The accessory pulley, which bolts to the crank's 4 bolts, has another 4 bolt pattern available with 2" between bolt centers.
Unfortunately, I asked the seller on Ebay, whi has the Johnson pump, what the bolt hole distance was, and he says it is 3 1/2" so no chance it working on mine.

Broke down and bought new tandem 3500lb axles, tires and rims - I am done friggin with old used stuff and juts want to get moving and sea trial. Will use steel jig for trailer frame - hopefully build this weekend.....

North

Postby North » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:25 pm

Trailer almost done. Bit more welding and then I will move the trailer under the boat and build bunks and supports to the proper heights. One pic was taken before I cut crossmembers and dropped them in middle to allow keel and boat to sit lower.
Will also beef up area where tongue meets main frame sides.
Attachments
IMG_20160707_155908.jpg
IMG_20160707_194919.jpg

kens

Postby kens » Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:37 pm

Nice looking work and layout there.
I once thought about building my own trailer, but then I added up the cost of all the axles, brakes, suspension, and so on, I just bought one.
I got a good deal on Ebay, and the guy customized it a little bit too.
You mentioned setting the bunks low,
may I suggest caution with that?
my bunks are what is commonly sold as 'high' bunks. The builder suggested high bunks because it is an inboard.
Im glad he did.
I have run over trash an junk on the hiway, and backed over curbs, and never bummed a prop.
And, it is still easy to launch. With a 27' long trailer, you still got a lot of water to float your boat.
With a trailer to fit a 25' boat, plus length of tongue, that puts the transom 30' behind the truck.
Plenty of boat ramp to float a boat.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

North

Postby North » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:04 am

Hi Ken - Sorry, I meant that I modified my cross members to dip in the middle, as is common on production trailers. I did not get drop axles, but wanted the keel as low to the axles as possible, with clearance for spring movement/ bumps, etc.
The bunks will be as high as needed to support the hull, likely about 2ft or more high as a guess.

Trailers here run about $7-8K, with rare used ones being about $2-2.5K. I already had the steel, and it wasn't worth much as scrap, and was an eyesore... so decided to build. Cost near as much as buying used, but now have brand new axles, tires, etc...and a custom fit..hopefully.
Darrell

kens

Postby kens » Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:35 am

cool,
you got any idea when we get some video of sea trials??? :D :D

North

Postby North » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:21 pm

Trailer inspected and under boat. Bunks next
Attachments
IMG_20160708_151020.jpg
IMG_20160708_151034.jpg

North

Postby North » Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:38 pm

A few more pics.
Top pic was taken while pushing trailer under boat by hand. Started with truck but wanted a bit more control of trailer and tongue jack slid easily on cement floor.

Just guessing at boat's location on trailer. Boats center of bouancy and engine is over front axle.
Once bunks are built, I will put the boat's weight on the trailer and see how the tongue weight feels. I could always move boat a bit before welding on bow rest support.

Open to input! Let me know if you see glaring errors or have advice.

Hope to sea trial within a week or so! Will get some video if home made stuffing boxes allow time to film!!
Attachments
IMG_20160708_145530.jpg
IMG_20160708_150958.jpg

kens

Postby kens » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:52 pm

Looking Good !!

North

Postby North » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:46 am

Thanks Ken!

re: bunks - Ken I noticed your trailer has the bunks made of what looks like heavy wood planks (carpeted) put on their vertical. How heavy of a planks are they -i.e. dimensions? Also, are they straight or do they have some curve to fit the hull bottom?

I have a couple of spare planks laying around - I think they are rough sawn (true) 2" x 10" or maybe 2" x 12"...
Do you think they would be stiff enough if bolted to angle brackets on both sides like yours?
If they are lighter / less strong than yours, I guess I could juts add more angle supports - have them closer together......

Other option is to use heavy angle or spare 4x4 steel materials for uprights, with heavy angle welded horizontally on top. and bolt the planks flat / horizontally on top of the angle... I think that would fit the curve of the boat more, but it would likely be stronger the way your's is done?

Thoughts?

PS. Had a couple of hours to work on things this evening, so I cut,drilled and tacked in place the back bunk mounts and welded front ones in solid. Similar to Kens trailer, I will run planks vertically through these supports bolted at proper height.
Attachments
IMG_20160709_193638.jpg
IMG_20160709_193649.jpg
IMG_20160709_193707.jpg

kens

Postby kens » Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:23 pm

The vertical bunks appear to be a 3" x 8" timber, covered with carpet.
The tops are cut on a straight bevel, an average bevel of the hull form that sits there. The carpet takes up extra space.
The forward flat bow bunks are about a 2x6 or 2x8. These are the best thing since sliced bread.
The bow bunks capture the deep vee of the bow and center the boat when recovering.
This plus the goal posts at the back make recovery very easy.

for your 3x8 bunks, you might glue together two 2x8 and get your size.

North

Postby North » Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:39 pm

Well I welded brackets before seeing your response about the 3 x 8 specs. I only allowed 2" in between my brackets. Rear ones only tacked but front ones fully welded. 3" would likely be better but I can't imagine that 2 x8 would not be strong enough when placed vertically like that.....
Maybe I'LL add a middle bracket on each side to stiffen and prevent the planks from moving latterly.

Will copy your front bunks or something close. Thought about adding small diameter pipe section vertically at each side or rear so I could add temporary goalposts. I can't see anything in your pics. Be great if you described your goalposts or how they attach!

Thanks for the help!

kens

Postby kens » Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:12 am

there is a lot of stress on the bunks, especially when you accidentally run over a curb, or bounce the boat over a bad hole in pavement, and other such nonsense.
I have seen busted bunks before.

kens

Postby kens » Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:18 am

here is a pic from the Ebay guy that I got my trailer from. It is a Acr Trailer from the Tampa area Florida. This is his Ebay website. My trailer is the same only 2 axle.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-ACE-2016-AL ... 2512784880

oops, here is the goal post
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-ACE-2016-AL ... 2091716775

Return to “Power Boats”