Progress pics and questions on Aluminum Double Eagle build

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

North

Re: Progress pics and questions on Aluminum Double Eagle build

Postby North » Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:38 pm

Got back bunks done and boat is sitting on them. Need about another hour to finish front bunks, and a few more hours to take care of odds and ends, before being ready to tow to the water.... I start vacation on Thursday, so some time after that I hope to get a day to work on it and then do the two hour tow to our cottage.

Those trailers look awesome.. And if Iwere in the States, $4\k is reasonable.. But our Candian dollar is at 75 cents US now, so with the exchange, tax/duties, and going to get one, I would be up to about $7K.

Thanks for the info and pics Ken! I am debating on material for the removable goal posts. Are your's rigid - so they will hold the boat in proper alignment, even in a good breeze? Or, are they flexible enough that the boat would push them over if very windy and they therefore only 'mark" the corners?

kens

Postby kens » Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:55 pm

they are adjustable, held on to the frame with ubolts, they are PVC plastic pipe topsides, and aluminum tubing bottoms.
adjust them for the width you like, mine are not bolted in real tight, I can push them around, especially if I miss the trailer, they just bend over instead of breaking off.
In a stiff breeze I usually end up tying off to one side goal post to hold the boat to that side.
I tried them adjusted tight to the gunnel and didn't like that, I like them a little bit open.
When I am recovering:
The bow is captured in those flat bow bunks, and there is about 3"-4" gap at the goal posts to gunnel, and the wind/current may move the boat around as does wave actions, but the bow is captured already.
I watch in my mirror and when the gunnel gap to the goal post looks right,,,, pull 'er out.
you only have to pull about 3' up ramp and the forward end of main bunk has captured the mid-hull.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

North

Postby North » Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:40 pm

Finished trailer today and did a test tow for a couple of miles. Seemed to handle fine.

All set for 2 hour tow tomorrow morning to cottage and hope to sea trial a few days later. Stay tuned!
Attachments
IMG_20160717_203324.jpg
IMG_20160717_203338.jpg
IMG_20160717_203346.jpg

North

Postby North » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:39 pm

Sea trial a success!!! A friend rode in a zodiak and took some video but I don't have it yet. He said boat looked very good running. I didn't take GPS yet but can't imagine we didn't hit 25 kts. The 150 HP Cummins moved the hull it like it weighed about 100 lbs. Very happy!

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:51 pm

North

Very Happy for You! I had no doubts.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:32 pm

Congratulations North. Nice to hear about another successful build. Looking forward to seeing the video.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

kens

Postby kens » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:26 am

Very cool. Thats a good feeling isnt it?
Can't wait to see the video.
If you turned up 2800rpm, and if you turned a 15x14 prop, then you were moving 32mph, and if you got some cupping in the prop, you might have beat that 32 !!
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

North

Postby North » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:45 am

Thanks guys. Still alot of finished work to do this upcoming winter, and some major quick hits right now, to make it safe/ usable for this summer, albeit unfinished...
off the top, currently running:
- an temporary electric pump for seawater cooling
- no wet exhaust elbow - have to finish tig welding one.... right now just bare exhaust at the turbo...
- jerry can for fuel -will measure quick for about 20 gallon molded tank - can always add 2nd one later...
- gunwales not finished some sharp corners of frames inside boat, etc..

North

Postby North » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:14 am

not a great video, but the only one I have so far. will try and get one taken from another boat, or from shore, at some point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXh7niBBAFo

kens

Postby kens » Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:04 pm

So, what do you think of the Cummins 4BT and the 1:1 VelvetDrive?
I remember you discussing it a bit.
What you think of that combo now?

North

Postby North » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:01 pm

Hi Ken. I haven't run it enough at higher speeds to know for sure but right off the bat I think it's dialed in quite nicely. Not overpropped or I wouldn't be able to hit say 2800rpms and I think the drag on the keel is the only reason it will likely top out around 24kts. Very happy so far. My wife was driving in video for 1st time and she accelerated very slow. I will get another one soon to show a much quicker hole shot.

kens

Postby kens » Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:47 pm

Ya, if you hit 2800 your not over propped, but you may still be under propped.
You have find out your high idle to be able to tell.

North

Postby North » Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:43 am

Hi Ken. Can you explain that? How to find high idle?

By the way, stopped by my local marina (where I have my sailboat launched from) and they had 2 ss diesel tanks left over from a yard sale. Only about 10 gallons each but in good shapes and with good quailty fitting. Got them for 10 bucks each so no more Jerry can soon.

psychobilly

Postby psychobilly » Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:48 am

Sorry to interrupt but man I'm sooooo jealous!! That Cumins hole shot sounded sooooo sweet! I mean I love my 454 BB Indmar sound but that turbo winding up is one sweet sound!

More videos please!

kens

Postby kens » Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:23 am

North wrote:Hi Ken. Can you explain that? How to find high idle?

By the way, stopped by my local marina (where I have my sailboat launched from) and they had 2 ss diesel tanks left over from a yard sale. Only about 10 gallons each but in good shapes and with good quailty fitting. Got them for 10 bucks each so no more Jerry can soon.

For all diesels, there is a speed at which the injector pump prevents RPM from running away in case of some failure. This is called Max Governed speed, or, as Cummins calls it, High Idle.
Find it by pushing the throttle ALL the WAY wide open in neutral, and let her wind up all the way. that RPM should be approx 100-150rpm above rated rpm.
For your 4BT rated @ 2800, you should see about 2950 WOT in neutral. It should go up there and stop winding up any higher. Rather than runaway, the governor will hold at 150 over rated speed because it senses this and starts de-fuelling.
Take note of this number.
Go out and run the boat WOT and you should see a rpm number between 2800 and 'high idle', this is correct prop size.

Example: a diesel runs WOT on the water at its quoted rated rpm of 2800, the skipper may think he is propped correctly, however, he does not know his high idle. Example he attempts high idle check and sees the same 2800. If high idle and WOT are the same number you are under propped.
In this case the injector pump starts de-fueling @ 2800 because it thinks this is a runaway situation.
When you know your high idle number, then you prop to 100rpm under that, you now know you are truly fueling @ rated power.

If you see WOT and, high idle both at 2800, then I can think of 2 scenarios for that.
1. the tach is wrong and you are under propped
2. the injector pump is not running right and you are under propped

If you never reach 2800, thats when you know you are over-propped.
As light as you are now you should prop to 2850, because you will add weight to finish out the boat thus it will be loaded heavier.
Do you have one of those optical tachs? it good to verify your instrument panel tach.

http://www.tadiesels.com/assets/docs/4B ... rmance.pdf
notice high idle speed on page 2

Return to “Power Boats”