Cold molding methodology

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

greyrfox

Cold molding methodology

Post by greyrfox »

I have a question on cold molding methods. If I was to use 3 layers of ply for a planing power boat hull, would you want to put the first diagonal layer on going in a aft to forward direction from keel to chine? Any input is greatly appreciated. The skin would end up as 5/8" thick.

Bill Edmundson

Re: Cold molding methodology

Post by Bill Edmundson »

It really doesn't matter. Particularly if you have a last layer that runs parallel to the boat.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

greyrfox

Re: Cold molding methodology

Post by greyrfox »

Thanks Bill; I was actually thinking of using 2 layers of 1/4" and one layer of 1/8" all ply. I was thinking of using the 1/8" as the center core. I have read where some use an 1/8" layer of lumber such as Khaya for the last layer but I was under the impression that was for the benefit of having a bright finish. I will be using a painted finish so that is not the reason for me. Is my thinking wrong in going with the center core as the thin one and if so, would I still lay all layers diagonally and end up with the grain direction of the last layer as I originally stated. Maybe it does not matter after everything is glassed over anyway.

Return to “Power Boats”