Mahogany runabout build in pictures

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Psuedomonas

Mahogany runabout build in pictures

Post by Psuedomonas » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:41 pm

Its been some time since I posted anything about my runabouts. The build process has changed somewhat as I've improved my technique. In fact I've had the runabout redrawn to accommodate the new larger 3.0L Mercruiser engine. I'll continue posting until its apparent that nobody is interested as judged by comments.

DaveLott

Re: Mahogany runabout build in pictures

Post by DaveLott » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:53 am

Would love to see more pictures. Are you doing this commercially or for your pleasure?
Dave

Riviera build - the Midnight Cry Project
Glen-L Sea Kayak
Mahalo Standup Paddleboard

Video of Midnight in Action

Few things in the world measure up to the thrill and satisfaction of boating in a boat that you built.

Psuedomonas

Post by Psuedomonas » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:55 am

Actually, I'm selling everything I build- but since a build takes nearly a year, you can hardly call it commercial. So, how did my picture get posted after my first attempt?

DaveLott

Post by DaveLott » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:13 am

Lucky, I reckon. How many have you built? It is a amazing you have found a market. So many have tried.
Dave

Glen-L Sea Kayak

Few things in the world measure up to the thrill and satisfaction of boating in a boat that you built.

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:15 am

:lol: So, how did my picture get posted after my first attempt?

I fixed it. :wink:

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

DaveLott

Post by DaveLott » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:23 pm

Ahhh, Gremlins behind the curtains. :lol:
Dave

Glen-L Sea Kayak

Psuedomonas

Post by Psuedomonas » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:40 pm

so Bill- tell me how you fixed it and I can then post more pictures.

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:58 pm

If there is a space or line break before the last [url] it won't work. Delete that gap and it will come up. I just found it by accident one day.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Psuedomonas

Post by Psuedomonas » Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:30 pm

This photo shows the completed frames on the building jig enclosed in a steel rotisserary which allows me to rotate the whole construction 360 degrees. I got the idea from the old cars guys, but I've never seen another boat builder use one.

Notice I've used two sets of 1 1/2" laminated engine stringers- one set carries the weight of the 900lb engine and the other set carries the weight of the 4 people and the fuel cell. All frames are epoxy filleted to the stringers, which themselves are mortised into the 2" thick transom. Two steel hanging knees further reinforce the transom.

Better picture of the hanging knees.

This shows the engine compartment forward bulkhead. The white plastic thing is a hatch that will be behind the rear seat back that will allow easy access to the front of the engine to allow belt changes and such.

And finally forward showing the 2"thick laminated stem. This will be fully braced and reinforced to the first bulk head with a 1/2" threaded rod. You see, I'm not adverse in using a little steel in a wooden boat- specially if you can't see it.

DaveLott

Post by DaveLott » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:26 am

How many man hours do you have in a boat? Just from what I see so far, you have this down to a science.
Dave

Glen-L Sea Kayak

billy c

Post by billy c » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:55 am

thx for the photos. was hoping you were still out there building. :)
fixed a few more for you (make sure to use the img tag before and after your image. (you can go in to edit one of your earlier photo posts that works to see how the code was entered)
is the hull developed for sheet plywood throughout?
can you give a few specs on the new (improved) design that you are building.
-Billy
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

jeffh

Post by jeffh » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:16 am

Really cool stuff. I have seen your website before. I noticed all the bulkheads and forward compartments in these photos and on your website. Are those compartments watertight? Also, what's the deal with your user name? Were you formerly a microbiologist?
2011 MALAHINI - KICKED IN THE HEAD
I wake up with a 16ft woody every morning :)
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=534DBtp1Cnc

Psuedomonas

Post by Psuedomonas » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:30 am

Hmmm, yes a former microbiologist who chose the Army.

The compartments are not watertight as they have limber holes. However, most of the space in the bow compartment and the spaces between the stringers are filled with 2 part foam as per CG requirements.

The hull was originally developed for plywood by Ray Sargent who won WB's design contest for a runabout based on the Subaru EA82 engine. I built that boat but felt that the marinized Subaru was too much engineering. I stretched Ray's boat and installed Mercruiser's Vazar 4 cylinder engine and a second cockpit. This engine is no longer available so I had the go the Mercury's 3.0LTKS 4 cylinder. This required that the whole boat be redrawn to raise the sheer 6" and widen the boat 4". My expert friend Gary Schollmier did a marvelous job with this task. The hull is very shapely as the pictures will soon show.

Psuedomonas

Post by Psuedomonas » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:34 am

Dave- I don't know how many hours I have in a boat- I suppose it takes 8 or 9 months to build- but whatthehell, I'm retired

Psuedomonas

Post by Psuedomonas » Mon May 05, 2014 7:33 am

In this picture the bottom is installed- 2 layers of 1/4" meranti ply glued and screwed to the longitudinals. Quarter inch plywood hardly ever lies flat- even on the shop floor. So stretched over 4 boat frames there will be hollows and dips that must be filled. You could of course do this with epoxy thickened with silica. Or, you can do this :

Fill it with kitty hair and this dip was 1/4" deep. This is Bondo mixed with long (or short) strands of fiberglass. It is much cheaper and sands smooth very much faster than epoxy. It will even bridge gaps- I think I could build a fender with it. Remember this will all be under several layers of glass cloth and epoxy, so it will not be exposed even as much as on a car fender.

Get it from your auto paint store.

Return to “Power Boats”