Stain, Fibreglass and paint

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

keith

Stain, Fibreglass and paint

Post by keith » Sat May 03, 2014 11:48 pm

So all of a sudden I am almost at the point of staining, fiberglass and painting, and I have done very little thinking, research etc.

I have trawled the forum a bit for some answers but thought I might post a question and get peoples opinions.

1. while sanding today I noticed a really marked color difference in my strakes, will staining largely mask this difference? I am planning on a fairly deep red stain.
20140504_144218a.jpg
2. What are the pro's and con's of fiberglassing the sides ? I am not worried about the cost which is fairly minimal.

3. A search of the various paint manufacturers show "bottom" paint, which is usually some form of Anti-Foul which obviously a Monaco doesn't need. So is using "topside" paint on the bottom ok ?, also does it need to be specifically marine paint. My boat is unlikely to spend more that a day in the water at any one time. I wasn't planning on house paint, but maybe Automotive ?
Building a Monaco....provisionally called "Serenity"
http://glen-l-monaco.blogspot.com/

Roberta

Re: Stain, Fibreglass and paint

Post by Roberta » Sun May 04, 2014 4:50 am

Hi Keith! The Red Chris Craft stain I used evened out the colors on my Zip Redo. I personally would not fiberglass over any bright finished wood. Too big a chance for the weave to poke through, especially if recoating at a later date and sanding. A good two part polyeurethane topside paint is fine for a bottom that does not spend long times in the water. I used System Three WR-LPU on the Zip and it is holding up well, but tricky to use. The Torpedo is getting either Epifanes, PPG Amercoat, or Supermarine.

Roberta :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

cusoak

Post by cusoak » Sun May 04, 2014 6:01 am

Hi here is what I have done to my Zip I built and my 1966 Century Resorter Mahogany boat.
Both of my boats spend time in the water. So they have antifouling paint on them. I did how ever try above the water line paint and after letting the boat set in the water the paint pealed off. So removed and put the antifouling paint on. But if the boat will not spend an extended time in the water then that type of paint will be ok.
Sides and decking I use what is called filler stains. I used Century Red Mahogany color. It has to be thinned to use. It will fill the pours of the wood so that you end up with a some what smooth surface to then put the varnish on. After staining you want to seal the stain, using a thinned coat of high build varnish, a couple of coats. This is done after the stain has had a chance to thoroughly dry. When that has dried good you can use a very fine foam sanding pad to knock off the dust and get smooth for the next coat. After about 4 coats of high build varnish you can then switch your high gloss finish varnish and putt on how ever may coats you want sanding in between coats. I used Pettit's 2056 high build varnish first then Eplfanes high gloss clear varnish. Roll on with the west system yellow foam rollers and tip off with a cheep foam brush.
Jeff
Attachments
lift eye1.jpg
13 century.jpg

cusoak

Post by cusoak » Sun May 04, 2014 6:03 am

Sorry wrong picture
Attachments
lift eye1.jpg

cusoak

Post by cusoak » Sun May 04, 2014 6:06 am

Sorry still got wrong picture
Attachments
100_9366.jpg

gdcarpenter

Post by gdcarpenter » Sun May 04, 2014 6:10 am

I understand that some folks have had minor issues with top side paint not standing up the best to trailering, launching and retrieving. Since the bottom is the most difficult to 'redress' on my ZIP I used Interlux VC Performance bottom coat, it's been virtually bullet proof and the boats been in the water for a month at a time. I did have a 'Pro' shoot it and it was smooth as glass. I only glassed my side to a tad above the waterline.
This is my first, last and only boat build.

http://www.gdzipbuild.blogspot.com

slug

Post by slug » Sun May 04, 2014 8:04 am

Keith; I stained and varnished, still only up to 4 coats on the last.
I used Minwax conditioner first. It tends to prevent the stain from "blotching" and I think gives you a more uniform stain finish. Note; Be very carefull to do a thorough sanding to get rid of all major scratches...I have some showing, and after staining it would be tricky to get rid of them without a problem blending in the new stain, so they are there if you look hard.

I used Minwax red chestnut for my stain after doing test samples of other colors.
Then I topped with Pettit Valspar varnish (Flagship 2015).

As for the bottom, I used Carquests Pro-Form high build two part urethane primer....several coats. Beautifull stuff to sand!
Topped with Nason Ful- Thane 2 part (or 3 counting reducer) ....about 3 coats. Not counting the one I had to sand off due to a problem :evil: )
This again is great paint to use, and is quite workable if you get runs or imperfections....very user friendly and very durable. I used it in the Titan with great results...even on the decks which take a lot of abuse. Similar to PPGs but a little less $.

This boat will not spend a lot of time in water, but on the Titan, it has been open outside all summer with water puddling on the decks, and so far no problems.
Attachments
Some waves showing from not enough flat board sanding.
Some waves showing from not enough flat board sanding.
After 4 coats of varnish...2 or 3 more to come. Takes at least 3 to start filling grain.
After 4 coats of varnish...2 or 3 more to come. Takes at least 3 to start filling grain.
A look at the bottom finish
A look at the bottom finish

keith

Post by keith » Mon May 05, 2014 4:33 am

Thanks for all the replies.

Unfortunately I suspect some (most ?) of the products you guys have recommended may not be available in NZ, but we have some pretty good alternatives.

So I am going for no glass on the sides, and I'll do some more digging for a decent bottom paint.

Stains I have been researching tonight, too many choices....I figures I have another 3 or 4 weeks of intermittent sanding (only get to do it on the weekends) so I have a bit of time up my sleeve
Building a Monaco....provisionally called "Serenity"
http://glen-l-monaco.blogspot.com/

Flash

Post by Flash » Tue May 06, 2014 10:48 pm

Hi Keith,

I'm probably in the minority but I think your picture shows the beauty of natural wood. The unique colors and variation of the grain patterns are the reason I do this instead of buying a Sea Ray.

Flash
Flash
Yellow Submarine II - Flying Saucer
Summer Wind - Zip

slug

Post by slug » Wed May 07, 2014 6:06 am

Keith; Try these guys for PPG products. Go for the 3 part urethane for the paint part on the bottom..
http://www.autolinkdistributors.co.nz/products

Doug

Return to “Power Boats”