Can I water ski? Catalina Express -Full length deep vee hull

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

themiser

Can I water ski? Catalina Express -Full length deep vee hull

Postby themiser » Tue May 27, 2014 11:39 am

Hello Everyone,
I'm still in the planning stages of which boat I want to build and as someone who has very little experience with boating, I am curious as to the restrictions / limitations of different types of boats / hulls.

I'm looking at the Catalina Express which is a 27' Full length deep vee hull cabin cruiser (mini yacht) which will serve the majority of purposes that my family will need in regards to space and accommodations. https://www.boatdesigns.com/products.asp?dept=389

I am wondering if I would be able to use this boat to do recreational water skiing/tubing/wake boarding. From initial research, I know that the boat is capable of the ball park speeds required for water skiing (implying an appropriately sized motor according to the speed chart) but is there something else that I'm missing in regards to simply being able to do this? Any information on this would be great appreciated.

I hope everyone had a good weekend.

Regards,
Sean

mrintense

Re: Can I water ski? Catalina Express -Full length deep vee

Postby mrintense » Tue May 27, 2014 12:27 pm

I can't answer about the hull or the boat directly as I too am a relative newbie to boating, however it would seem to me that a larger boat such as this will need more power to get up to water skiing speed and therefore will consume more fuel in the process. Just a thought. I am sure more knowledgeable people can give other answers.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

themiser

Postby themiser » Tue May 27, 2014 12:38 pm

Thanks Carl,
I agree with you, and as I stated, I'm not planning on this being a water skiing boat, and who knows, maybe that's what I'll build next, but in the mean time, I was just wondering if there was some hidden reason why it wouldn't work or shouldn't be used. According to the speed chart, if properly powered, it should easily hit water skiing speeds.

Carl, also, your build is coming along great and I always stay up to date on what you're accomplishing. It looks awesome and I can't wait to embark on this project myself.

Regards,
Sean

benpetre

Postby benpetre » Tue May 27, 2014 3:48 pm

There are 2 issues you may be overlooking which should not be deal breakers.

1 top speed is not the only engine concern. Acceleration and time to plane is equally or more important. Your poor skier will never get up on the water if it takes a long time to get up to speed. They will lose grip strength and suck down a lot if water.

2 turning radius- this is a safety concern as you will likely be doing many passes in close quarters of a immobile Han in the water when they fall and you need to get back to them and bring them the rope. A boat that turns well is important to get back to them quickly and be safe turning around them.

This is why true ski boats are small(ish) and have tons of power.

Your size is not too big, but size and the vee will slow down your turns. Given enough torque (power, gearing and prop) you should be able to configure to pull a skier.
http://drpetre.com

Building the barrel back 19 ever so slowly.

themiser

Postby themiser » Wed May 28, 2014 1:14 pm

Thanks,
Those were definitely a couple of concerns that I was not entirely thinking of. My experience with boating is limited to small(ish) ski boats or fishing boats and sail boats. Obviously, skiing is not the primary or even secondary purpose of this boat, but the knowledge that I should be able to do it with some considerations is nice to know.

I've also been water skiing with a very small and moderately under powered boat and know that if I were a first time or inexperienced skier, then I would not have made it up at all. It would sometimes take a solid 10-15 seconds before the boat's engine would get to plane with a skier. Fortunately, I was both strong enough and experienced enough to sit and wait and hold on until it did. So I do understand the needs in regards to skiing am not well versed in the changes between a planing ski boat w/outboard and a deep vee with inboard.

I imagine that the turning radius required might be assisted with the addition of stern and/or bow thrusters that are sometimes used to assist in docking.

Thanks again for your input.

Regards,
Sean

tclarkha

Postby tclarkha » Thu May 29, 2014 6:05 am

http://worldheritagecruises.com.au/inde ... ski-record

Moral of the story is you can ski behind anything. As long as it has enough power.

27ft is a pretty big boat so you will need a lot of power of do it easily. Eg twin 350 chev.

Size of the wake is the other limiting factor. Big wake isn't fun to properly ski on. Flat wake allows you to dart from side to side quicker which is more fun.

Return to “Power Boats”