Jet Tunnel

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

crowsridge

Jet Tunnel

Post by crowsridge » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:39 am

Hello all,

I bought plans for the Rogue Runner a couple years back. I got the mahogany and meranti plywood and even got the frames built. But, I have since found that I can weld aluminum to a satisfactory level and am changing over to an aluminum version. I will use the wood for a boat better suited like a Tahoe or one of Roberta's prizes.

I see many of the jet boats built with a tunnel now. Is that for outboards only? I had thought having it for my inboard would be cool, giving better control, water deeper into the intake etc.. Is it better to have a slight Vee all the way back, a tunnel behind the bow Vee about 6 feet start or a delta pad just around the intake grate?

Thanks, Chris

elwood16

Re: Jet Tunnel

Post by elwood16 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:28 pm

With an outboard a tunnel is meant to get the foot of the jet flush with the bottom of the boat, allowing you to run shallower. The jet on an inboard setup is already above the bottom of the boat, so a tunnel on an inboard drive would raise the jet drive unnecessarily and I wouldn't be surprised if it would diminish performance slightly.

crowsridge

Re: Jet Tunnel

Post by crowsridge » Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:14 pm

Thank you!

Return to “Power Boats”