Tunnel King Build

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

SJC

Re: Tunnel King Build

Postby SJC » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:06 pm

As you can see in the photos above, the boat sits pretty high in the water. This is partly due to moving fuel and battery forward. So I see no downside to running the shorter engine on the lowered transom. I think that at some point I might try moving the battery aft just to see what happens. When you look at the boat bow on I think that a Tower of Power mounted on the original transom height would really be a tower. :lol:

Dave Grason

Postby Dave Grason » Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:10 am

SJC wrote: Max speed 55.9 mph on the gps.

Was this in the heavy chop?

In your previous post, you said this:

SJC wrote: A few times I trimmed the motor up and I could feel the boat really lift out of the water and begin to just skim.

The reason that I ask is because I sorta thought that the Tunnel King with a 150 would go considerably faster. I wonder if changing prop would have a huge effect? ...hmmmmm!!
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

SJC

Postby SJC » Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:11 am

So far the top speed of 55 is only because of the driver :shock:
I have not had the motor over 5000 rpm for more than a few seconds and I most of the time I have had the bow trimmed down. I am just getting used to the feel of the thing and I have watched a few too many youtube clips of tunnel boats blowing over :lol:

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:12 am

55 is pretty quick on the water! Ain't no bass boat doin 55 with a 150, at least I doubt it.

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:59 pm

Please be careful learning to handle this boat! I was in Augusta GA for a couple of years. They had races on the river each year that featured tunnel hulls. They are fast, run flat and turn incredibly fast! The pilot had their helmets strapped to their shoulders. I've seen them get airborne and do a Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, Flying Sub entry in the river only to come up as splinters. Neat boat! Just be careful!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

LSaupe

Postby LSaupe » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:25 pm

SJC: Any further updates of sea trials?

Hope she is performing well and meeting your expectations.

SJC

Postby SJC » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:29 pm

Boat has not been in the water in several weeks :(
I hope to get out early this weekend for some more fun.

SJC

Postby SJC » Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:49 pm

I burned up some gas today. Max speed with this prop appears to be just over 60 mph. It can cruise :lol: consistenly at 55mph. I had a tough time seeing all of the seaweed and logs in the water because my eyes were watering so much :shock: . Next time I will upgrade the glasses to goggles.
Just pure fun on the water.

jaydee

Postby jaydee » Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:52 pm

Glad to see you getting some run time on the boat. Ive run my tunnel king for 3 seasons now and have learned a couple of things.
Prop choices are pretty critical. when i have a pasenger, i use a yamaha race copy as it gives some, but not much bow lift. when im by myself, i use
A merc cleaver. you really dont need much bow lift for that hull. the cleaver is 28p and the signature is 26p. I put a bobs cone with lwp on it and run
The cone slightly above center. So far, i was able to hit 60 with the 26 and 72 ish with the cleaver. My lakei snt long enough to hit top speed, but trimming
Up slowly will loosen the hull and you can feel the speed increase. i agree goggles are a must. watering eyes. ihave to look out for ducks! im still playing with weight distribution. My battery is at the rear. Fuel just behind the seat. i may try moving fuel aft to see what it handle like. Probably will move motor up slightly, the jack plate makes it easy.

jaydee

Postby jaydee » Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:03 am

One trait i found is that the hull changes attitude at about 55mph. The bow starts to porpoise and gets a little un nerving. Pushing past that it levels out and feels looser. I think at that speed it goes from hydrodynamic and enters aerodynamic. you can really feel the lift from the air packing in the tunnel. Thats where the fun begins! Sorry to hear about how the bow packed into a swell. To date, i havent had that experience. I have heard tunnels are prone to that, however. I think i will install bilge pumps this winter :(

SJC

Postby SJC » Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:39 am

Thanks for the input Jaydee.
I am right now installing low water pick ups and will be installing a jack plate soon. I am going with a transom water pick up because "everyone" says that a nose cone on the inline merc is slower until you are running over 80 mph. I'll post photos when that is done.

Interesting notes on the props too. I am running a mercury chopper.

What type of jack plate do you run?

jaydee

Postby jaydee » Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:08 am

Had i to do over again, l would go with a transom mount pickup. at the time, the s&f guys said a bobs. who knew. The plate is a th marine. Easy to adjust.
It took me a while to remember which brand the one prop was. it a hill marine yammy race copy. I had it tuned and cupped by dah and that made a marked improvement.

SJC

Postby SJC » Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:46 pm

Thanks for the input Jaydee.
I checked out your posts on Scream and Fly. It looks like you are running a jackplate with 6" setback and the cleaver prop. Are both of your props cleaver style? From what I read those provide stern lift versus bow lift with the chopper. What was the setup in the video? That DAH prop looks very nice.

I just purchased a 4" jackplate and will mount it as soon as it arrives. That plus the low water pickup should allow me to see if jacking makes any difference with my 14x24 chopper. I really like the way the boat performs with the current setup, but I think I am missing the top end.
We shall see.

jaydee

Postby jaydee » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:31 pm

The video was prior to the jack plate and good props. The prop was a standard aluminum omc prop. the bow really wanted to fly. i think that was why it was porpoising so much and riding too high. I think after raising the motor and a prop with less lift, really made a difference plus the motor spins up faster running on the surface. i havent had the opportunity to have the new setup video'd yet. the merc cleaver is a 28p and the ron hills signature is a 26p. the cleaver seems to run the best. i dont know if one exists, but a prop with a little more trailing edge than the cleaver might be the ticket. I dont have much knowledge on the different styles of props just my limited experience that this hull doesnt need much bow lift. i think you should be able to run a 28p wheel
pretty easily with that motor especially closer to the surface.
please post some photos of the water pickup as i am interested in doing that also.

Good luck

SJC

Postby SJC » Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:38 pm

I am on the hunt for a 14x26 or 28 cleaver.

I have a thread going over on Scream and Fly that is getting some good advice on setup

http://www.screamandfly.com/showthread. ... ost2815885

Return to “Power Boats”