Tunnel King Build

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

SJC

Re: Tunnel King Build

Postby SJC » Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:49 pm

Here is a teaser photo of my low water pickup. There are two of these, one on each sponson.
I had the lower unit off last weekend to drill and tap for fittings. Maybe this weekend I will get a shot of the whole setup.
I do love the look of the AN fittings. 8)

jaydee

Postby jaydee » Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:53 pm

Just read the s&f posts. They have real good advice. The weight distribution is a big deal. My battery is next to the transom, but i moved my fuel tank further forward. I liked how your tank was located behind the seat and moved mine there. It wanted to porpoise too much. It ran better mid ship. I will moving it back to where it was, it rode better there with less up trim. I also puchased a larger tank when i moved it forward, i wanted more run time, less filling: :D

SJC

Postby SJC » Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:15 pm

It sure helps to hear what others have tried Jaydee, thanks. I certainly hope I do not have to move my fuel tank :evil:

I have been working on a few performance details with help for the folks at Scream and Fly. They recommended weight aft so I decided to move my battery back by the trim pump. Of course moving the battery also involved moving my master switch and 100 amp fuse assembly. But I was able to remove two 5 foot pieces of 1 gauge wire, so that saved a few pounds. I can't wait to see if there is any difference. Unfortunately the pump is not in a pleasant place for service. It is right up against the transom, now behind the battery. I thought I would never have to deal with it. If I have to again, I might try to figure a way to make it easier to get to.

I also got some work done on the new low water pickups.

SJC

Postby SJC » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:38 pm

New prop arrived today. This is a Ron Hill Signature prop. 14 x 26. It is a special blend of a cleaver and a drag boat prop. According to Ron, this should provide nice acceleration and stern lift at speed.
The prop I have been using is a 14 x 24 Chopper which provides more bow lift.

We shall see, I should get a chance to test out the new prop, transom water pickups and the jackplate in the next few weeks.

jenko

Postby jenko » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:20 pm

nice looking prop

LSaupe

Postby LSaupe » Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:04 pm

Sounds great, keep us posted!

BTW - how has that coating worked out for you? Have you had any situations to test its abrasion resistance?

SJC

Postby SJC » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:30 pm

The wearlon Speed coat has not peeled off :lol: I have not hit anything and I do not beach the boat, so not really so impressive. But I do notice that the boat slides very easily on the trailer bunks. My launch ramp is not very steep so often when loading the boat I get it centered on the bunks and just pull the boat onto the trailer by hand. If I wanted to I could just shove the boat off of the trailer without it floating.

SJC

Postby SJC » Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:08 pm

Ok, I finally got all of the parts necessary to mount the new prop.

I am hoping to get a chance to test on Monday.

LSaupe

Postby LSaupe » Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:59 am

Love the jackplate. Keep us posted on how the combo works for ya. Not much boating out this way(currently +2 F outside) :D

jdh

Postby jdh » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:47 pm

Its been quite a while since I have looked at the posts here and was wondering if you are getting performance improvements.
Ive had a chance this fall to buzz around in mine and have had some good results.

SJC

Postby SJC » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:35 am

Update:

I only used the boat a few hours this summer, too much working.
As to the performance, I have not really made any improvements :x Actually max speed is down from original configuration. Just thinking about that bums me out. New prop $$$, jack plate $$$: 8 mph slower.
New prop certainly does not work. WOT gives only 4800 rpm max. So then back to the chopper, this is the prop that several folks recommended originally.
I have much more hobby horse/porpoising than original setup. New setup is battery moved aft and the jackplate installed.
One problem is that the mounting of the jackplate does not allow the motor to be lowered to the same spot it would be if the motor were bolted to the transom. The lowest jackplate position is at least 1.5" higher, so that prevents me from testing whether the motor is too high. Also at the current lowest height getting the boat moving is an exercise in very gentle throttle application otherwise the prop ventilates and just spins. Once the boat is moving about 15mph the prop hooks up pretty well and it takes off nicely.

I should probably try removing the jackplate. Unfortunately that will require re-drilling all of the outboard mounting holes that I filled when mounting the jackplate. Ughhh.

jdh

Postby jdh » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:11 pm

almost sounds like to much bow lift by the prop. maybe cuz your lower is a short shaft, you don't need the adjustment up.
ive been running a merc cleaver about 1" above sponsons. it likes to porpoise at about 55mph but levels off and lifts after that. at 72mph I'm running about 5500rpms. I moved the fuel tank as far aft as possible. fyi, I have a similar tank, Rhodes racing, and the bottom seam split while in rough water.
not fun! don't give up. once you get it dialed in, its a ball !!!

Return to “Power Boats”