Malahini chine issue

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

theGreek

Malahini chine issue

Post by theGreek »

Hi all,

I am building a malahini boat. I just installed the chine logs. (Finally). But I noticed that there might be a problem. According to the instructions, the chine logs should butt the chine blocking. The instructions never mentioned that the chine blocking should be faired to match the landing angle of the chine log at the stem. Thus I bent and twisted the chine log at the same time in order to land perpendicular to the chine block.
Here are some pictures:
IMAG1800.jpg
IMAG1799.jpg
IMAG1798.jpg
Thing is, that the planking will probably wont lay on the logs correctly. Do I fair? Or do I do it all over again?

Thanks

Konstantinos

vupilot

Re: Malahini chine issue

Post by vupilot »

As shown i am afraid your chine when faired will lose too much material. I would consider backing the chine from the blocking to the frame with another lamination on the inside curve so you have substantial material left after the fairing.

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Yes, start the fairing process. I agree with Vupilot add some material to the inside. You will want more wood to set screws into from the bottom and sides.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

billy c

Post by billy c »

looks like maybe the breasthook is sitting proud of the stem too so the sheer is running beyond the stem. may need a bit of creative reworking to get back on the right track
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

theGreek

Post by theGreek »

Hi all!

Thank you for the quick reply! Sounds like very good news. My question is, what happens when I reach the stem at the chine blocking? Should I use the chine blocking as my extra material? Or add a piece of wood on the outside of the chine log?
Again thank you for your time.

Konstantinos

rbrandenstein

Post by rbrandenstein »

The chine block should have been set back from the stem so the chine logs hit the side of the stem. Then, when the stem is faired it will approximately align with the side of the chine. This is how mine worked out.
IMG_0381.JPG
I would be concerned about using the chine block as the material as it is plywood. The screws that hold the planking will need good solid material to grip. The end grain of the plywood is not the best.

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Greek

The breasthook at the shear should have the extension at the front even with the front of the stem.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

Yes, the breasthook and the chine blocking were both set too far ahead creating some issues with getting a nice fair shear and chine line. I think your easiest fix, if you haven't started fairing the stem yet, would be to laminate the outward/forward edge of the stem with 1/4" strips of wood the width of the stem to build it out to the correct relatioship to the chines and shears. Then you could fair the new part of the stem into the shears and chines as you would normally have done. The boat might be a bit longer (1-1/2" maybe), but I won't tell. :lol:

Roberta :D :D :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

rbrandenstein

Post by rbrandenstein »

I agree with Roberta. Just extend the stem by laminating several thin strips.

The plane of the chine should intersect the center of the stem. If you have the Building with Plywood book, look at Fig. 15-5 on page 136 to help with the alignment.

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

I agree. Build up the stem.

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

jprice

Post by jprice »

Roberta always has the best ideas... you'd think she's done this boat building stuff before. :lol:

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

When you make a lot of mistakes, you learn a lot of creative ways to fix them. :wink:

Roberta :D

Ranny

Post by Ranny »

rbrandenstein wrote:I agree with Roberta. Just extend the stem by laminating several thin strips.

The plane of the chine should intersect the center of the stem. If you have the Building with Plywood book, look at Fig. 15-5 on page 136 to help with the alignment.

Thanks for the lead. I just received my book yesterday, and am discovering what a wealth of knowledge of info is in it.
Ranny

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

Yup, the "Building with Plywood" is a Great Resource as is Glen L's "Inboard Motor Installation" book for those doing inboard boats.

Ranny

Post by Ranny »

Roberta wrote:Yup, the "Building with Plywood" is a Great Resource as is Glen L's "Inboard Motor Installation" book for those doing inboard boats.

Thanks, good idea. Of course, I have to first figure out what kind of boat. It does bring up a potential problem I might have with engine noise. I plan on staring a new topic on that soon.
Ranny

Return to “Power Boats”