Chugalug's BoJest

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

hoodman

Re: wood and materials

Post by hoodman » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:21 am

It is NOT rexommended to spray epoxy no matter what equipment you are using.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

chugalug

Post by chugalug » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:49 am

Thanks.I'll be using a brush.Really enjoyed reading about the Nomad restoration-especially about the use of ac exterior ply .I used that on my Bo-jest-laminated in 2 layers .If I can get it to last only a few years,I'll be happy.Found another old post about Gorilla glue. I've used some on the hull.Don't get it on your hands tho.I did and tried to wash it off.Forgot that water activates it.You have to wear it off then -takes a few weeks.Got my shop and boat shed insulated now so add heat and I'm back to the races on the project.Have to fix a couple of spots with epoxy and fillers,fair ,then fiberglass bottom.Been thinking on how to paint bottom; whether to add graphite to epoxy. or just use bottom paint.I've heard that if one paints it a dark color,that it telegraphes all the mistakes. but would be better to go lighter color.Maybe a lighter green to help hide the green sludge color we get from this lake. Might be diddymo.
Last edited by chugalug on Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:46 pm

You want some type of coating on top of the epoxy because UV will damage bare epoxy over time so if you use graphite you'll have to coat over it anyways. Will you be trailering or in the water all the time?
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

chugalug

Post by chugalug » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:10 pm

Thanks for info. hopefully I will leave boat in the water,but there are a few times I will have to take it out.My folks have a small resort and marina but some weeks the channel is full of boats.My trailering will only consist of transport from my house to the lake (less than 1/4 mile)

chugalug

Post by chugalug » Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:05 am

:D Put in heat exchanger and box fan on low in shop yesterday.Its nice and toasty in there right now (80)1 inch of fresh powder this morning and still snowing. Will be working in the shop today and maybe even on the project.

chugalug

Post by chugalug » Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:10 pm

:D Did some epoxy filler work a few days ago.I wanted to put a spray rail on hull later.noticed that The Knot so Fast didn't have one.Does one put it on before fibreglassing? or bed it in later?Wood or Metal or plastic.Thought that since I used inferior materials and was going to cpes everything anyway. might as well keep going with the same stuff.will let you know later if it floats or if I built a Submarine :lol:

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:35 pm

Sprayrails are after glassing. You want to be able to remove them if they are damaged. It is much easier to glass without them.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

chugalug

Post by chugalug » Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:39 pm

:D Thanks Bill

chugalug

Post by chugalug » Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:34 pm

:D Time to get drunk,got three coats of bottom paint on hull 2 days ago, tried a different method to flip hull-part of it was similar to Oyster's a few years ago.Put bow eye in then figured out where a single motor well drain hole would go.Drilled a 1 inch hole at a slight angle ,then inserted a 1 inch threaded rod in hole .pushed it in until I hit the build form.marked and drilled that ,then added a 2x8 chunk of timber long enough to reach from one side of frame 1 to the other side screwed the ends on and drilled out that too.proceeded to next part of build form.(the lenth of the threaded rod was 6 ft.)left some rod sticking out past transom put washers and nuts on both sides of transom and the 2x8 piece (just finger tight) added extra nut on transom end to keep hooks from come-a-long from coming off.The rod and the bow eye formed pivot points.Worked pretty good .Flip was so fast after I got past the halfway point.(needed to raise it up 4 ft.)I don't think I could have got it on the camera ,it was that fast.now it sitting on the cradle on the shop floor. :D
001.JPG
Last edited by chugalug on Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

chugalug

Post by chugalug » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:34 am

:D Got a lot of the inner joints filleted with epoxy/silica mix (kinda messy)will clean up edges with oscillater today.A few days ago ,I used up the rest of the CPES from the 2 gallon kit I had-using a 16oz hand-operated sprayer adjusted to spray more liquid than mist .Worked good to get in all cracks and crannies in the bow area.Turned up the heater fan so shop got up to about 80.Then shut off everything.Then sprayed in the evening.The hot water radiator was still circulating ,so had some residual heat from that(keeps shop above freezing)Now need to get more CPES to coat rest of interior. :DOrdered 2 gal kit ofCPES again from Rots.Now have to wait another week til I get it.Thinking about adding floor support beams during the wait.Got my order of cpes.used just about 3/4 of it for the insides of hull.now the shop will stink for another week.just about ready to put decking on-then bulwarks perhaps.Glued on the front 3 deck supports and need to get last 2 in then grind and prep for deck.deck is now glued on (2 front pieces).Haven't decided if Im going with chairs on each side of motorwell or full-width bench

chugalug

Post by chugalug » Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:39 am

:D Haven't worked on hull for awhile ,so went out there last night and found some thin (3/4)fir Laminated the motormount beam 3" wide x 5 layers thick.I had put a slight curve outward on transom so was easier.My epoxy had a lot of crystalized chunks in it(I had consulted Gayle on that)Just had to warm it up good to dissolve.Now that's all glued in and filleted in.Haven't decided yet if I want 2 seats on back with motorwell or enclose those with storage and put in full width bench seat.The full width bench could double as berth in a pinch Hmmmm. :roll:

chugalug

Post by chugalug » Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:07 am

:D Got the two sides of motorwell cut out ;now do I go with narrow motorwell to capitalize seating space or go 33 inches wide like glen-l book says for single motors.Hmmm! decisions,deccisions.not really stuck,just pondering different set ups.decided to go narrower with side aderondack style seating .sorry spelling sucks.side pieces are now fastened in and epoxied in.gotta glue blocking in on sides so I can fit in front pieces under seating.

chugalug

Post by chugalug » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:12 pm

:D Noticed on plans for outboard version-there is no call-out for a transom knee.Is that because of lower hp motor?or should I glue one in anyway?can't screw through the bottom cause of fiberglass but one mentioned in Glen's workbook is made of laminated ply-fasteners don't hold well in edge of ply

Lowka53

Post by Lowka53 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:40 pm

chugalug wrote::D Noticed on plans for outboard version-there is no call-out for a transom knee.Is that because of lower hp motor?or should I glue one in anyway?can't screw through the bottom cause of fiberglass but one mentioned in Glen's workbook is made of laminated ply-fasteners don't hold well in edge of ply
A alternative to that would be use a piece of 1 inch in the core than sheet with plywood on either side. even though not shown I would put a knee in you can never have your transom to strong :wink:
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
http://www.facebook.com/Home.Made.Boat.Building
Bon Voyage-"Wild Flower" 40' house boat being built
14' Mr John-being built
32' Supper Huck-in design

Rod H

chugalug

Post by chugalug » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:06 am

:D Thanks for the tip;I went and glued solid wood on each side of the motorwell ply to help stiffen it and for wood to screw to.will also fashion some sort of transom knee in middle-willscrew up that spot for battery,however I have storage for those elsewere.and fuel tanks will be located further forward.E-mailed Gayle about it-guess there is enough support without it.Put fronts on each rear seats and blocked up motorwell for ply bottom using cedar2x material.plan on using a lot of cedar for floor supports.will cpes everthing again before putting ply floor on.

Return to “Power Boats”