Chugalug's BoJest

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Roberta

Re: Chugalug's BoJest

Postby Roberta » Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:41 am

Don't put any more varnish over soft stuff. You may wind up with a real mess to clean up. Switch to Two part paint if you are having issues with the varnish.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

chugalug

Postby chugalug » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:01 am

Thanks for info.Googled varnishing on wood boats and read instructions.said to thin first coat so varnish penetrates deeper.read can I used and it said not to thin so might have to scrape off finish on porthole window frames and try something else (or build new)Tried sanding this morning and frames seams to be dry.read spar varnish is a little softer to allow for wood movement;maybe that's it.will try thinned varnish to seal up new wood and unthinned for more coats.had a few problems with epoxy runs on cabin sides so will have to sand those down first then varnish.
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

chugalug

Postby chugalug » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:42 pm

:D Called in order to Glen-l today-more epoxy and fillers and Epifanes varnish.Should be here in week or so.will come UPS ground.Hope 2-1000 ml cans of Epifanes will be enough.got the epoxy and fillers to make fillets on inside of motorwell and corners on rear sole.and for glue for flooring.Sure was nice to talk with Gayle this morning.Good to hear about her dad and am anticipating the order.Picked up a little more cedar and a sheet of exterior ply for core of rear door and to build fold down pantry door that doubles as eating table(bar)

chugalug

Postby chugalug » Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:00 pm

:D Little bit of progress today.sawed out all the 1/4 plexiglass windows and temp install until after varnish.then caulking .am gluing in core for back door and am putting thin v-groove on door and cut out for oval rear window.

chugalug

Postby chugalug » Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:52 am

:D I'm kinda in a quandry about boat power;I was currently going to use the older Evenrude low-profile 15hp to power my craft.However was offered a Mercury 2-stroke 25.the 25 weighs more but has more power(if I put power prop on)but will drink more fuel.They both are the same shaft length (20") have electric start.The 15 has a bolt through the tilt tube.unknown if that holds motor together or what.the 25's is open.I used to use the 15 to power my old 24' steel pontoon boat so was ample power.Anyone want to weigh in ?

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:59 am

I can't imagine the weight being an issue in that size of a boat. BoJest specs say 5-10 horsepower right? If I'm correct in a displacement hull more power will really not net you much increase in speed, just increased fuel usage.

chugalug

Postby chugalug » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:19 am

:D I understand .The plans recommend 5-10 hp.That's for an inboard shaft drive engine.was wondering if the hp of outboards was similar or what?I've noticed from the other Bo-Jest builder that some have used 30hp.figure I probably won't go any faster with bigger motor,however a little extra might come in handy if needed(rough seas or excessive current on rivers)I also decided on one fuel tank instead of two small ones.I can put fuel on one side of boat and water storage and holding tank on other.

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:59 am

The extra hp will not get more speed. That is forward speed plus or minus current. Hull speed is your speed related to the water. It will help going into a strong wind.

I had an 8000# 27' sailboat with keel. It had 7.5 hp diesel. It would go hull speed. It did let me down one time. I was trying to pull another sailboat into a strong wind. It didn't help that my prop. was covered with barnacles.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:44 am

Modern outboard hp is measured at the prop shaft. Inboards is just the HP rating at the flywheel or whatever. Not sure how much you lose in a marine trans.

chugalug

Postby chugalug » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:23 pm

:D Was hoping the motor would last this year.plan on a better 4-stroke next year.unknown if I'll even get it in the lake this year.Got my 2 boxes of stuff from Glen-L today.Looking forward to this weekend so I can do more fibreglassing.need to work on inside of motorwell as well as the side decks.most of the side decks will be totally covered up by top board.there will be drains along bulwarks for rain water as well as ventilation shafts for the bilge.gotta figure out side vents that are not made of plastic.back door was made wrong so have to redo frame.lots of little things to do. :D

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:14 am

Tim,

Pics??
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

chugalug

Postby chugalug » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:40 am

:D all I got so far:
IMG_0811[1].JPG
:D

chugalug

Postby chugalug » Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:50 am

:D Little more progress:Made fold down eating bar for Chug.Front supports are simple slide bolts.Do you see:6 pointed star or tumbling blocks?Did a tumbling block quilt pattern out of thin cedar glued to 9 ply (1/2")Baltic birch ply.
IMG_0812[1].JPG
IMG_0813[1].JPG
Chair in picture is one I found down at community dump(looks new to me) cost 0$
IMG_0814[1].JPG
will look better with varnish

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:57 pm

Tim, nice pattern on the table!

I have 4 of those exact same chairs. They're fine for normal use, however, be careful as the glue joints at the base of the back failed on most of mine and I had to re-glue them. One of them now serves me as a stool in my garage.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

chugalug

Postby chugalug » Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:09 pm

Chair won't stay in boat-will probably use something that folds up for storage.Having problems with sliding door on back of pilothouse-might have to use hinges on door.No room to open out -will have to open in.cuts down on interior room ,however could use open door as bathroom door in pinch.got my fuel tank and will be mounting in that soon.also playing around with steering system.

Return to “Power Boats”