Chugalug's BoJest

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

chugalug

Re: Chugalug's BoJest

Postby chugalug » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:08 am

:D Put hinged door on rear of pilothouse temporarly .need varnish. the screen added to outside and trim then put openable plex window inside.got fuel tank situated.got old steering cable back in .If I use 15 Evenrude,I can use cable(the 15 doesn't have tilttube.)If I decide to use 25 Merc,I'll have to get new cable as the old one
IMG_0815[1].JPG
would be a little short.
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

chugalug

Postby chugalug » Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:43 pm

:D Well;I decided to postpone varnishing for at least 2 weeks.instead I am busy encapsulating all new wood with Epoxy Shield.side decks are covered with epoxy as well as a couple of doors so far.Side deck and for'ward deck gets non-skid paint .maybe that would have been enough,but thought I needed the protection from the epoxy first. :D having fun.getting sticky again.

chugalug

Postby chugalug » Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:02 pm

:D Got half of back epoxied.can see contrast of colors and tabletop.just have 1/2 of rear left and front windows to epoxy.then I can fillet corners of motorwell and get that ready for glass and epoxy.
IMG_0816[1].JPG
IMG_0817[1].JPG
wife says its time for a Grainbelt.I agree :D

chugalug

Postby chugalug » Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:51 am

:D Was reading something about varnishing in room that has plastic sheeting for walls;Something about the static cling of dust to the boat hull.Also in Woodyboater,there was article on using ground on boats to eliminate the static clings.will be trying anything when I'll be varnishing.Life's been getting seriously in the way.I probably won't be posting here for awhile. :(

chugalug

Postby chugalug » Sat May 21, 2016 4:50 pm

:) Still got this nasty cold after2 weeks so far .Chills,sweats and this insessent cough.Got 1st coat of thinned Epifanes on pilothouse and window trim and sliding doors.fingers are crossed for the cure .might have to wait a few days.

chugalug

Postby chugalug » Mon May 23, 2016 8:19 am

Varnish is still a little tacky.Spot I did a few weeks ago is ok ,so will let this cure also.This handy dandy tool works really good for epoxy fillets.also let cure on tool and the cured stuff just peels right off.
IMG_0828[1].JPG
The blade end comes off for those tight spots
Last edited by chugalug on Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Mon May 23, 2016 10:28 am

Been away for awhile Tim, but the door and herringbone panel looks good. Hope you get through the varnish issues.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

chugalug

Postby chugalug » Wed May 25, 2016 6:34 am

:D Tabletop is a "tumbling block " quilt pattern.all made from same size diamonds.coated with a couple of thin coats of tabletop pour -on stuff.came out like glass.wish the pilothouse came out the same but that stuff isn't recommended to sit in sunlight.methinks I'll be stripping the varnish back off of cabin and pilothouse and trying the 2-part stuff.wasted 1 can of Epifanes from Glen-L.will save other for the inside( that trim and cabinetry didn't get epoxy)been getting outboard ready for hook-ups.can't afford a new motor yet so this one will have to do for now(it powered my steel pontoon for a few years)
IMG_0829[1].JPG
still can't figure out what year it is so I can get carb electric choke kit.(if it exists)
Last edited by chugalug on Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

chugalug

Postby chugalug » Thu May 26, 2016 9:33 am

:D The varnish is still tacky tho conditions aren't favourable yet.had fans moving air around in shed for last 24 hours -no change.might have to strip off and try something else(been researching doing a faux wood grain paint instead) perhaps I wouldn't need to keep varnishing every year. :roll:

chugalug

Postby chugalug » Sat May 28, 2016 7:49 am

:D was reading Roberta's zip redo.22 coats of epifanes at 65 bucks a can .YIKES.I'm going to try a varnish stripper on my sliding doors first instead of mek.if that doesn't work guess I'll be using mek to remove problem varnish.trouble is that some spots are curing ok but some aren't.will have to get rid of it all.or replace the 1/4 " v-groove with new stuff( I had glued it on the ply pilothouse side with Titebond III.cost would be about 100 bucks for new stuff.or less if stripping and redoing(would be more work tho.)

chugalug

Postby chugalug » Sun May 29, 2016 8:02 am

:D Used a water rinseable Zip-strip on all the sliding doors,back door and window trim and removed the varnish.seemed to work pretty good and will be trying on boat today.Everything went pretty good on hull, now just waiting for water rinse to dry -then feel around for sticky spots and redo those.I'll probably prime and paint everything as don't look forward to stripping and revarnishing every year.don't know why I decided to first varnish.dumb ,I guess.some of the wood looked so pretty but noticed glue spots and other things after varnishing.Am kinda intrigued about the faux woodgrain effect that can be applied using paint.looks simple enough,and with a little practice,I might go that route.

chugalug

Postby chugalug » Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:46 pm

:D Decided on priming the epoxy -coated cedar to get ready for paint(seemed a shame but had alot of glue and water spots under the epoxy) now I can try to paint a wood grain finish on the pilothouse and not worry about revarnishing every year or so.trouble is I'm color blind on light greens and tans and a few other colors so will have to rely on the labels.I just got done putting 2 coats of Zinsser 1-2-3 on.will let that sit a few days and try painting
IMG_0831[1].JPG
after sanding a little and using damp rag
IMG_0832[1].JPG
:D

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:11 pm

Looks great.
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

chugalug

Postby chugalug » Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:34 pm

:D Thanks.Didn't paint under the bottom door slide as there will be a wide trim piece on top of bulwark that goes under it and will enclose part of bulwark top from fuel inlet to transom to allow for foot pads and bilge ventilation vents.there will also be drainholes and vent holes on stern(back ends o f bulwarks)

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:48 pm

Coming along quite nicely Tim. The colors look great. It's so cool to see these boats coming together over the years. I look forward to the day when we can see you'rs out in the open.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Return to “Power Boats”