Chugalug's BoJest

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

chugalug

Re: Chugalug's BoJest

Postby chugalug » Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:41 pm

:D Unsure if I'll keep the wood exposed(without paint)as I filled all the screw holes with epoxy putty(little white dots on wood)Had to redo the front windows as earlier,I had glued rope trim inside around windows.looked really good inside ,but looked like crap outside.with lots of sanding,the windows look like they came off old boat.looked at some of that non-skid tape for top of bulwarks ,but looks too thin and flimsy for me.been thinking about that shingle underlay (winterguard)it's got a sticky back and is heavier.maybe with metal trim,would work. :D
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:05 pm

Time, One idea you might consider for the white dots. If you think you are going to paint this area anyway, before you do that, try staining the dots with those stain pens available from Home dept. You would probably want to experiment a bit first. I imagine you would want to remove any epoxy / varnish in the immediate area before staining. But please experiment on some scrap first. I don't want to be responsible for something you don't like . :D :D
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

chugalug

Postby chugalug » Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:59 pm

:D The wood top is already epoxy coated (3 weeks ago)there will be a few non-skid pads on top so unsure if I'll coat those areas with something else(paint or varnish)If I paint top of bulwarks ,I might recoat the bulwark sides off-white again.I'm just waiting for clear waterproof caulking to dry on windows now.will go back out to shop soon and reinstall those. :D

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:11 pm

The easiest and cheapest way to do non-skid is a tablespoon of clean sand in a quart of paint.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

slug

Postby slug » Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:24 am

Highly recommend against the tiny plastic spheres (Awl Grip) style of non skid, as it shortly shears off and leaves an ugly spot on the deck.

Doug

chugalug

Postby chugalug » Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:44 am

:D Thanks ,Bill & Doug; will probably try a taped off strip of paint with sand-blast sand for non-skid.need to find ,if not make,a sliding bolt doorknob set-up for pilothouse door.all the ones I see now are openable from one side only.I want to cut slot in door to facilitate outside handle.thoughts?

chugalug

Postby chugalug » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:05 am

:D A little bit of progress this weekend:Am building fiberglass sink with fold up lid with flexable faucet located in the passenger side dash.maybe use foot operated water pump.busy painting all wood in rear cockpit area.Library is 2 magazine racks on back of door
IMG_0862[1].JPG
IMG_0863[1].JPG
Is fibreglass cloth necessary? or just 2 or 3 coats of epoxy ,covered by epoxy sink paint?

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:05 am

Tim, nice work on the sink and magazine rack. It's always a pleasure to see the ideas other's come up with.Especially when it comes to cabin style boats :)

I think that depending upon usage, fiberglass cloth in your sink might be more resistant to damage. One thing to consider though is the sanding necessary to get it smooth enough. Seems like it might be difficult to do that in a confined space without having to resort to manually sanding (yuk!!)

At any rate, keep up the good work. It's looking like you are getting closer and closer to launch day.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

chugalug

Postby chugalug » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:10 am

:D could probably launch it right now,but there's little things left that I don't want to do outside the boat shed(little rain storms and some hail hamper working outside)need to make enclosure curtains for rear of pilothouse to keep rain out.Sailrite has alot of videos showing how to make those.plus they have all the materials plus stuff to make v-berth cushions.But I probably will launch before then.Don't want to spend too much in case the boat turns out to be a submarine instead. :lol:Having fun trying to build ship's wheel out of 1/2 inch (9 ply)birch ply and 3/4 butternut.epoxied butternut to ply cut out.will let that cure while I'm at evening job making toys for big boys and girls. :D

chugalug

Postby chugalug » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:19 am

:D Little bit of progress: got steering wheel ready for varnish.looks kinda small but same diameter as the old steering wheel that I stole guts from.
IMG_0865.JPG
been busy mixing and pouring flotation foam i got from Glen-L.

chugalug

Postby chugalug » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:48 am

:? Last week,I applied sink paint with epoxy on fibreglass sink and dash.let cure for a few days until felt good. was sorting stuff in pilothouse this weekend and threw a couple of catalogs on dash.when I picked them back up. discovered the back cover of one of them was stuck on dash.had to wash it off.however the ink from catalog paper is permanately on the dash.GRRRRRR!!!!! :twisted:

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:35 am

That's frustrating!

chugalug

Postby chugalug » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:03 am

:D just have to add more paint.this boat has more paint than wood in it.Ha

specialk

Postby specialk » Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:48 am

Tim I have not checked out your build in awhile... it is looking nice...I like all the extra things in the pilot house...!
Kelly...1st Boat...Flats Flyer
2nd Boat.....?

chugalug

Postby chugalug » Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:54 am

Have problems with epoxy sink paint-dried for 2 weeks feels really dry and slick ,however if heavy tools get left(1 inch drill bit)on the surface ,will be stuck to finish and when removed will pull off paint.

Return to “Power Boats”