Chugalug's BoJest

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

chugalug

Re: wood and materials

Post by chugalug »

Was looking around on this forum;I suppose that all my posts on this forum have morfed from this topic(wood and materials)To one of a boat project instead.I don't know if I'm even in the right forum-What say you-Bill?
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Tim

I see your earlier post fine. :?

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

chugalug

Post by chugalug »

:D Thanks Bill-I thought I might be straying off.Still using unorthodox materials(exterior ply and cedar 2x material in interior)will be encapsulating all-know cedar soaks up water and gets heavy.Doesn't all lumber do that?and using outdoor screws (bronze coated steel)Iknow ,the combo of bronze and steel is supposed to corrode in a saltwater marine environment.This hull will not be going any further than Lake of the Woods(freshwater). :D

chugalug

Post by chugalug »

:D Started work on the motorwell in back of project-noticed on Rick Klemm's Bo that his motorwell was mounted on bottom to the two longitudinals on their insides;I mounted mine on the same ones -just on outsides(make the motorwell 6inches wider)Also am using cedar for seating in rear(2by).not sure if I also have to include a pipe to coverend of steering rod-just might to make sure I have the room.

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

I'll be attaching my motor well sides to the inner battens as well. I want to make that area rock solid.
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

chugalug

Post by chugalug »

:D Yeah;you are gonna want that pretty strong-you'll be going with bigger motor-I'm just running a 9.9 or the old 15 I have.Put in some cedar 2x6 material for floor supports yesterday.Will do more later;Want to get all the framework inside done ,then cover all with CPES before covering with ply(.I've coated insides with CPES before I 'm adding framework)Oh Yah!! It's snowing again :twisted:Putting in floor support pieces -unsure if I want to run side ones all the way down to battens then glue only or bring up slightly and no glue on bottom of support(might add a little bit of strength to hull) :roll:

chugalug

Post by chugalug »

:D Started work on rear decking.Question is-do I epoxy with cloth over deck before putting on bulwark or do I just epoxy and paint.or just epoxy on ply deck and assemble bulwarks on epoxied deck.if covering with wood strips and caulking -do I epoxy with cloth on that or without?then lots of varnish or paint wherever my whimsy takes me.

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Tim

Most designs don't call for glassing the deck. I epoxy the sub-deck and the bottom side of the strips before gluing the strips. Once the final deck is sanded, I put three coats of resin and three coats of polyurethane. Or, as many coats of varnish as you want.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

chugalug

Post by chugalug »

:D Thanks Bill.Was unsure what to do to decking.I suppose I'll have to put glass on sides of Bulwarks tho.or maybe not.soaked underside of decking with CPES yesterday.now just have to glue on boat.glued those on .now just have to fill in small pieces between front decking and rear decking.decking is now on- just have to clean up edges .Jamestown Dist. now has a new totalboat varnish(LUST)claims up to 5 coats daily.sounds interesting for wood work and interior.

chugalug

Post by chugalug »

:D got all the edges of the subdeck ground flush inside and out. will start on bulwark soon.or would it be easier to put cabin sides on before bulwark or after? reason I'm asking as there isn't much room to get screws in cabin sides with bulwarks on :roll:No matter,I put on all the bulwark supports today.even put on upper breasthook that I didn't install when building hull-didn't want to screw that up when I built earlier.didn't have any 3/4 so laminated 4 pieces of 3/8(gives me 12 layers)might have goofed on that since it's slightly taller than next support.oh well,maybe top trim will be 1-1/2 thick instead of 3/4.

chugalug

Post by chugalug »

IMG_0573.JPG
:D Working on bulwarks now .will try to post a pic.the rear of the bulwark will end up being square instead of round corner
The attachment IMG_0573.JPG is no longer available
Motorwell makes for handy dandy worktable.Batteries will go under.floor supports are 2x cedar material-will have to cpes them so they don't suck up too much water.flotation blocks to go up under gunnel.there will be a thin panel covering sides to conceal foam amongst other boo-boo's.don't want to seal up any airspaces-need the air to flow freely in bilge and install vent fan for bilge.floor will be all same level except drop down for cabin
Last edited by chugalug on Sun May 24, 2015 2:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

chugalug

Post by chugalug »

IMG_0572.JPG
goofed by cutting slots for battons on frame #5 before install-had to add small pieces.cabin front will not be round;rather 5 sided.boat looks small-but it is 8' wide.shed its in is 12' wide.
Last edited by chugalug on Sun May 24, 2015 7:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.

chugalug

Post by chugalug »

The wall in front of the Bo-Jest is actually 2 large doors. they're just bolted in now so could insulate last winter.Looks like one of Paul Bunyun's wooden shoes.Can't tell if it's the left or right :lol: :lol:

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Looks good Tim,

I see you have the same challenges with space that I do. I am still not sure if I will have enough height to complete the cabin. The garage ceiling isn't a problem but the garage door and garage door opening is. Only have 7 feet 3 inches for the height of the door opening.
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

chugalug

Post by chugalug »

new pics 022.JPG
:D Good to hear from you Carl.I built the shed with the boat in mind.the door hole is over 9' wide and doors are 9' tall.the hull is now sitting on simple carpet covered cradle close to floor (enough that I can level according to set up level lines)Before I flipped hull,I put 3 coats of Teal colored bottom paint to waterline.Used Totalboat JD Select from Jamestown.The price for 2 qt.'s was close to same as gallon so have some extra to recoat later.last summer,it was too hot to work on boat(shed had dark metal roof and not insulated yet,so added small(14x24)shop to south end
Attachments
new pics 020.JPG

Return to “Power Boats”