Chugalug's BoJest

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

mrintense

Re: wood and materials

Post by mrintense » Mon May 25, 2015 10:19 am

Tim,

First off, nice shop. I have to marvel at guys like yourself that can build a building first before even starting on the boat. I'm afraid that my enthusiasm would have petered out long before I started cutting boat frames.

Perhaps it's because I very much want to enjoy the boat and the thought of taking a bunch of time just to get started wasn't going to work for me. I'm just glad my garage was long enough to build the Vera Cruise. Now hopefully it will be tall enough as well.

Your cradle idea is what I have in mind as well. Main consideration is how I am going to move the boat once I am ready to get it out of the garage.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Mon May 25, 2015 11:03 am

Carl

I've spent a lot of time on how I will get the boat out of the basement and on to the trailer. This includes what we called at work leave out steel. Things you get fabricated, but can't install until the last stage.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

chugalug

Post by chugalug » Mon May 25, 2015 11:47 am

:D I built the shed that holds the boat first;then after the hull was built,barely had room to store tablesaw and tools let alone use them. the shed was just a shell at first-12 ft south wall 10 ft north wall-shed roof with steel roof.had such a blast putting on the 14' steel by myself that swore up and down I'll use shingles again.like using the Landmark ones(no 3 tab)go till you cut off then start next row with that.My old shop was in disrepair so decided last summer to add that instead of the woodshed I was originally planning.Have a small single axle trailer that I think I can use for chug .I won't be going far-just to boat ramp or home.less than 1/4 mile on our own roads.was so hot in boat shed couldn't work in there,so worked on shop instead.then last winter ,I insulated both and added heat exchanger (hydronic) and fan and hooked up to outside boiler.between working on boat and cutting up 40 cords of firewood to feed stove(never split a chunk)I kept pretty busy fibreglassing hull last winter.Wow:and I thought my house was the money pit! :lol:
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

chugalug

Post by chugalug » Mon May 25, 2015 2:36 pm

:D maybe I can load boat on the trailer the same way I used to do on my old fiberglass Dorsette.The boat was really heavy so pulled all the strap out of maual winch then man handled trailer around so it was lined up with boat,hooked hook on bow eye-then lifted tongue up so rear of trailer was below bow of boat and start cranking.trailer got sucked under boat.maybe with help of a few bottles of dawn ,the boat might slide on easier. :D

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Mon May 25, 2015 3:50 pm

Tim

I'm thinking much the same approach. Including the Dawn detergent. I plan to use my shop crane to lift the boat. The steps I built are almost the right height to support the transom. When I get the cabin out of the basement I think I can lift it high enough to start getting the trailer under it. I have an anchor locker up front and the water fill is right above the bow eye. I put an eye on the inside of the eye bolt. When I get the boat jacked up I think I can winch the trailer under it.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

chugalug

Post by chugalug » Tue May 26, 2015 8:13 am

:D Am filling in bottom of bulwarks with 3/4 cedar. hope I don't have the moisture problems that the Knot-so-fast has.maybe its the humidity in the air down there.will coat everything with a few coats of cpes.Also cut a pattern for bulwark front using thin plexiglass.transfered to ply and cut out and clamped temporarily to spot.no time left-gotta visit day job(3:00 to11:00 pm)more tomorrow.

chugalug

Post by chugalug » Wed May 27, 2015 6:16 am

:D was wondering if its easier to use smaller strips for bulwarks, well here goes. Top of breasthook sticks up a little -will put 3/4 piece on top of entire bulwark .then another 3/4 piece to cover all.
Attachments
002.JPG

chugalug

Post by chugalug » Wed May 27, 2015 7:52 am

:D Got both port and starboard front bulwark pieces glued and screwed on.glad I didn't cut 2 pieces of ply from same plexi pattern -had to saw off a little of the pattern for the port side.I like using the thin plex cause you can see thru it and it bends easy.easy to cut on bandsaw too. :D seams don't line up exactly but it will all hide behind the bow pudding.

chugalug

Post by chugalug » Fri May 29, 2015 6:55 am

:D Decided to fit ply between uprights instead of using long pieces because of limited work area.
002.JPG
Attachments
001.JPG

chugalug

Post by chugalug » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:13 am

new pics 003.JPG
Pieced ply strips between bulwark uprights.got to reading instructions -said it wasn't necessary because of mounting to decking.OOPPS! oh well, it's all glued and screwed down now.just have to fill screw holes and sand before applying a strip of cloth.Don't know what I was thinking on transom;could have extended to rear a little more instead I left small shelf behind bulwark.The wide piece of cedar will be cut back in arc similar to aderondak seating.odd looking fillers is epoxy with silica and fine sawdust
Attachments
new pics 004.JPG
Last edited by chugalug on Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:38 pm

Looking good Tim, not painted yet?? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

chugalug

Post by chugalug » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:17 pm

:D Didn't paint sides because I knew there would be glue drips from bulwark area.Below waterline there is Totalboat select bottom paint(teal color)Wife seems to like Totalboat Wet Edge in a sea green color.I kinda like the sea foam color.Maybe an off -white for bulwark sides.gotta finish the bulwarks first :D

specialk

Post by specialk » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:59 am

chugalug ... I like the build.. glad to see your shop is as messy as mine...
Kelly...1st Boat...Flats Flyer
2nd Boat.....?

chugalug

Post by chugalug » Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:34 am

IMG_0588[1].JPG
:D This was after I mucked out shop too
Attachments
IMG_0586[1].JPG

chugalug

Post by chugalug » Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:42 am

:D Was thinking again .Uh ohhh.Since this build is turning into the grand experiment,Maybe should paint it with a good house paint instead of spendy marine stuff.everything is above waterline and have to touch up every few years.should the paint have an epoxy in it or will acrylic stick to epoxy? :roll: also will have to experiment with something(Have a gallon of old pour -on epoxy for table tops-want to try to make fillers with it.)think it will cure ? :roll: it's been hiding in a cardboard box upstairs in my house so never froze. :roll: :roll:The stuff is called evirotex (epoxy resin and a polyamine hardener)Mix is 1:1.Mixed up small batch with silica and fine sawdust mix .Applied in a filet.will wait a day to see what happens.Meanwhile, have been cleaning up insides of bulwarks getting ready to cpes inside it.thought about enclosing it but think it would be better not to.(less trapped moisture pockets)also maybe use log builder caulking on inside.used that on my log cabin-forms a waterproof skin while still stays flexable.

Return to “Power Boats”