Chugalug's BoJest

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

chugalug

Re: wood and materials

Post by chugalug » Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:46 am

Results from experiment:yesterday,I mixed small batch of old pour-on epoxy then added silica and sawdust fillers.was really damp out overnight.went out and sawed fillet in half to check cure.Results-its hard as the regular epoxy I use.had same smell too.Hmmmm :D good news when I went to get the stuff,I discovered I had gotten 2 one-gallon kits.COOL. :D
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:54 am

Tim,

I've hear that the newer house paints are better, but I would be very reluctant to use that on my boat.

My shop(garage) sometimes gets that way after a lot of sanding or wood trimming, but it drives me crazy and I end up going out there and cleaning it all up. I especially don't like having to go under the boat during a skin glue up when there is saw dust all over the floor. :D :D :D
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

chugalug

Post by chugalug » Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:05 pm

:D Wait til you get epoxy all over.don't matter how clean you try to be ,you'll flub up sometime.Got Small drip of epoxy on the crotch of my sweatpants yesterday.didn't notice til I got it spread around on chairs and other" things" :lol: Had just enough cpes to cover the inside of bulwarks today.Now shop will stink for a few days.Tried to sand down epoxied screw hole from yesterdays gluings .Not cured enough -just loaded up sandpaper-so will wait another day.Filler experiment went ok,so now might try the stuff with cloth :?:

chugalug

Post by chugalug » Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:44 am

IMG_0589[1].JPG
am trying this stuff on fiberglass cloth.while not intended for outdoor use ,its supposed to have some uv inhibutors and is waterproof. worked good with fillers Was reading Boat Builders Notebook by Glen-l .has note about arcrylic house paint.sounds good

chugalug

Post by chugalug » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:52 am

:D After sitting in shop all day yesterday and last night -went out to shop to inspect experiment;looking good. even put some between two pieces of ply for glue;broke those trying to get apart.I think I'll try using it on my bulwarks sides after I sand down my screw hole fillers.it's not any cheaper than regular epoxy,it's just from another project that didn't pan out a few years ago.might have to thicken it a little with silica so it doesn't run so much.and use squeegee .and it will be painted over eventually anyway. :D Guess it is a little cheaper -looked at hardware store-was 69 bucks for 1 gallon kit.did try some on front bulwarks and thought I squeeged it ok but it ran down sides a little but I sanded those off this morning and cut cloth for rest of bulwark.will try different technique-pre-soaking sides before cloth then cloth and fill weave.

chugalug

Post by chugalug » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:22 am

:D Got starboard bulwark side covered with cloth and epoxy.Will start on port side tomorrow.Was looking at all the color combos on other boats and reading Glen-l's book about quality house paint.Think I have the colors I want-Teal green bottom paint;sides will be:sublime green;then bulwarks will be a dark green again,similar to the bottom paint-liked the contrast to Tom's boat.With wood strips in between.Will have to do a little research on pex diameters for bumper on sides .I'm currently using 1" its a nice green color as well.perhaps a 3/4 pex might slide inside it to stiffen it.now if I can figure out how to mount it. :D Had an hour to kill before heading in for day job.so epoxied half of port side.sure glad I had taped off sides as it ran quite a bit.cloth was thouroughly saterated. checked awhile ago -everything is dry and ready fo sanding -then more coats.

chugalug

Post by chugalug » Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:40 pm

ooooppppppsssssss. read intructions wrong- says not recommended for exterior use.was just using it as sealer tho.put paint over top'will have to see the disaster later :twisted:

chugalug

Post by chugalug » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:52 pm

IMG_0599[1].JPG
:D Remember pic of front of buwark?(may27)well,this morning cut out 2 (port & starboard)pieces of 2x8 cedar for top of bulwark -cut to fit that odd shape.worked out well using table saw and batt operated skil saw.A little bit of chisel work and now its ready to glue on.will have to piece the bulwark top trim until it starts to straighten out-then longer pieces :DHey;this pic posting from camera works again.

chugalug

Post by chugalug » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:24 am

:D Also decided not to do the small circular bulwark on back .there will be another trim board on top and will be cut out for seat back
IMG_0601[1].JPG

chugalug

Post by chugalug » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:25 am

IMG_0606[1].JPG
:D Worked on boat this weekend-putting in v-berths.Was thinking again(uh oh)since I'm using the wrong wood might as well keep using it.Went with pine under v-berth for blocking.know it rots but the v-groove and varnish in my log cabins shower stall is over 10 years old now and its doing fine so far(a lot of humidity in there)will treat it with something and install-berth top.the large closets aren't closets but places to put fuel tanks
IMG_0602[1].JPG
Last edited by chugalug on Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:26 am

Tim,

Looking good. You're getting there. I am looking forward to the day when I get to try and figure out the "innards"
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

chugalug

Post by chugalug » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:04 pm

:D Thanks Carl;The boat looks crooked but camera angle is wrong.everything is level.figured that if I can keep moisture out by good ventilation and most all of the boat will be protected from rain except for the bulwarks.The boat will probably outlast me and what happens to it next,I could really give a rip.The fever of getting it finished has struck and might even get it in the water this fall.After I get the v-berths done,then I can start on the cabin, then pilothouse.Motorwell makes for good saw stand
IMG_0603[1].JPG

chugalug

Post by chugalug » Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:12 pm

:D Been working on boat-put in v-berth tops(not screwed in yet as want to include floatation in some areas.started on cabin(overkill on supports?)will support my weight (275 lbs)without moving.large hole in center is for hatch.angled pieces in back are wind shield supports
IMG_0611[1].JPG
IMG_0612[1].JPG
there's my favorite tool again :lol:

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:41 am

Looking good Tim,

When I get to this point, I have a bunch of 4 by 8 sheets of 1/4" poster board that I am going to use to mock up different ideas for the interior as I plan on deviating from the plans in this area.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

chugalug

Post by chugalug » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:31 am

:D I know-The cabin looks kinda short.but when I bend down and sit on seats inside,I have adequate headroom(I'm 6'3") cabin needs round portlight to make it look better.am also thinking on glueing on thin veneer on outside of cabin to be epoxied and varnished :D

Return to “Power Boats”