Sherwood Queen? How does it handle?

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

jhepting

Sherwood Queen? How does it handle?

Postby jhepting » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:38 pm

I am very interested in building the Sherwood Queen but I would like to know how it handles. I live in an stretch of Canada where the wind comes up rather quickly and we can be dealing with a 2 to 3 foot chop. It seams like a boat that should be able to handle it but I was wondering if anyone who has built it or know anyone who has one could comment on its ability to handle some rougher water.

Thanks in advance

areame

Re: Sherwood Queen? How does it handle?

Postby areame » Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:37 pm

I haven't built the Sherwood Queen but from the looks of it you would be ok in 2 footers, though 3 may be a bit rough.

The thing about building a wooden boat is they are much lighter than production boats and tend to ride more on top of the waves instead of through them. Less weight also means less power needed and better fuel efficiency though!

Also, while the hull does have a nice V shape, it isn't super deep.

Maybe someone else will chime in and give a better idea.

Lowka53

Re: Sherwood Queen? How does it handle?

Postby Lowka53 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:20 pm

jhepting wrote:I am very interested in building the Sherwood Queen but I would like to know how it handles. I live in an stretch of Canada where the wind comes up rather quickly and we can be dealing with a 2 to 3 foot chop. It seams like a boat that should be able to handle it but I was wondering if anyone who has built it or know anyone who has one could comment on its ability to handle some rougher water.

Thanks in advance
i have not built one but with her size and the deep v hull should do well. but will not be a speed demon. but with all boats common since and good planning save you from getting to wet :wink:
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
http://www.facebook.com/Home.Made.Boat.Building
Bon Voyage-"Wild Flower" 40' house boat being built
14' Mr John-being built
32' Supper Huck-in design

Rod H

Return to “Power Boats”