sanding epoxy before clear/varnish

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

FFRCOBRA

sanding epoxy before clear/varnish

Post by FFRCOBRA » Thu May 14, 2015 1:48 pm

Hi All,
Making progress on my Belle Isle. Things are going very well. Last night I finished the 80 grit sanding of the epoxy over mahogany. It is smooth and looks great.
Tonight I will sand the bottom with 80 grit.
Over the weekend I will go over it all with 220 grit.
I received my Interlux epoxy primer yesterday. (along with my Interlux Perfection paint and Interlux Perfection Plus clear). So I'm ready for the next steps.

I have one question (well, one issue with several small questions). I have some staple holes that didn't fill in. Skip, on his Monaco, said he dabbed some epoxy on there and went over it again. I have asked him how this went, but he's on his big vacation with his wife. I only have the holes on one side though. On the side where I had my epoxy/fiberglass mishap I must have forced the epoxy into the staple holes during fiberglass bedding and when I stripped that side of the boat, they were filled in. Now with 5 coats of Silver tip on each side, I sand it to 80 grit and one side is perfect and one side has staple holes. Oh well.

I'm wondering if I put the epoxy in the holes with a Q-tip? Won't it simply run out of the hole and down the side of the hull? Should I dab it on between the 80 grit and 220 grit sanding steps.

Here are the staple holes: (This photo is of the surface covered with sanding dust.)

Again, I didn't wipe it down or blow it off prior to photo. It’s much smoother than this looks.

Thanks,
Craig

jenko

Re: sanding epoxy before clear/varnish

Post by jenko » Thu May 14, 2015 3:30 pm

I would fill the holes with epoxy in a hypodermic syringe with needle.that avoids the inevitable air bubble underneath.
If you are worried about it running, stick some cellotape over it

Old aussie

Re: sanding epoxy before clear/varnish

Post by Old aussie » Wed May 27, 2015 3:39 pm

Hi, I used cpes to fill my staple holes all you can see now is a slightly darker dot.......

Old Aussie Peter......

Return to “Power Boats”