Malahini from Texas

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

ryanp

Re: Malahini from Texas

Post by ryanp » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:41 pm

Thanks Carl. glad to be back on the build.

I'm posting the picture again since photobucket deleted most of my stuff.
It has been proven that beer can make you younger or at least feel that way!

Building the Malahini.
Not yet named.

ryanp

Post by ryanp » Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:32 pm

Its been a month or so since the last post and pictures. I've been making good progress spending about 3-4 hours a day when the weather permits and my jobs don't drown me. I think I have finally come up with a name that will suit her.....drum roll please...........OVER BUDGET. MY wife tells me every time I buy something that I'm going over budget, the funny thing is that we never have talked about a budget but some how I keep going over.
Image]
So far after only a month I've managed to finish the sides and fiberglass the hull with two coats resin and have sanded every finger down to a nub. O wait... and I have stuck three cotes of due-pont 2k urethane primer on. Sorry for the ugly photo, I'll try and post a few more that are better.
And now time for more fairing before my Totalboat paint gets in this next week, going with an off white bottom, a dark blue for the sides and I think a red boot stripe to match the motor.
I found it easier to fair the hull now that the primer cote is on, it sure does get hard to see the older you get. Also on the list are the skeg and spray rails, I still haven't decided if I want to use pvc board yet for them or not but they are sacrificial so what ever I don't like I can change.

This has really come out to be a budget minded build since I'm using what some would call (inferior) products such as dgf ply, resin instead of epoxy for the exterior of the hull, closeout fiberglass,( by the way I think I still have about 90 feet if not more left), old growth pine boards that I had laying around and a $500 used motor. I think so far if I didn't miss anything I'm at about $1400 in it and hoping to not go over $5000. This is super ambitious in my opinion but I really would like show that one could be made on the cheep and not sacrifice to much by using the less expensive materials and still have the time of there life building it and playing with it when all is said and done.
Happy Boat building all... Ryan P.

Building the Malahini.
Not yet named.

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:23 am

Ryan, looks really nice. I can't believe you're that far along. I've been working for over two years and I'm at about the same stage.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:31 am

DrBryanJ wrote:Ryan, looks really nice. I can't believe you're that far along. I've been working for over two years and I'm at about the same stage.
Me too! I am at the three and half year mark and only just getting to the point of a flip. Two more months I figure.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

ryanp

Post by ryanp » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:58 pm

Posting two pictures. The first was my honey do valentines present for the wife, a new island with 6/4 walnut counter top that measures 64''x 42''. You can only imagine how much that cost, a diamond ring would have been cheaper.
The second is my first coat of Totalboat paint. I'm not to happy with it as you can see all the streaks that are made by the brush but after five coats and sanding off two then and polish im hoping will lead to a nice finish. I have decided to wait till after the flip to paint the sides due to a lack of room.
Happy boat building every body and don't forget to do something for that special someone in your life. Remember to keep them happy or all of our fun can come to a halt. Ryan P

Building the Malahini.
Not yet named.

gdcarpenter

Post by gdcarpenter » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:33 pm

Beautiful engine, but then I am biased. What would you like to know about these engines. I have restored 2, a Mark35A and a Mark58.

Kudos on the countertop. There can never be enough storage space in the kitchen, so my wife says! We have a mutual agreement, if she gets a new kitchen thingie I get a new tool thingie.

I too build a storage thingie for my wife, and I get to reap the rewards in imbibing.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
This is my first, last and only boat build.

http://www.gdzipbuild.blogspot.com

ryanp

Post by ryanp » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:58 pm

Dang there nice looking. So nice I would mount them on a wall if I could. What size boat is the 35a on and how well does it move her.
My big question on the 58 is on Carb setting. I her it's a real booger to set and get perfect. It's nothing like my wife's 65 mustang and there is only one carb to deal with. The next question would be on prop sizes but that might be a down the road discussion.

Building the Malahini.
Not yet named.

gdcarpenter

Post by gdcarpenter » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:15 pm

The Mark35A is on the GlenL ZIP I built. It runs 30 MPH @ 5,600 RPM.

I had the Mark58 on my ZIP for one run before I dropped a cylinder. I now have a replacement power head for the Mark58.

The Mark58 on my ZIP ran 33 MPH @ 5,800 RPM turning a 10 3/4" diameter, 2 blade, 12" pitch prop. Once I get othe Mark58 back together I think I will just get the existing prop cupped a bit which should bring my WOT down to about 5,600 RPM. Your boat will be heavier so a 12" pitch would likely be a good starting point.

My Mark58 has a fixed main jet so there is no adjusting there. The low speed or idle jet is the only carb 'adjustment' there is. Essentially turn them in to get best idle then back them out a tad to make sure you are not running lean.

The idle speed adjustment just 'tweaks' the ignition timing to regulate idle RPM.

"Merc's Rule"
Attachments
image.jpg

ryanp

Post by ryanp » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:34 pm

Well that makes me feel better about the carbs. I got a chance to hear it run for about 5 seconds last month by splashing some love juice in it. Just purchaced new fuel lines and conectors and hope to start really getting it in tip top shape. Have to check compression and what not and also have to look at a new starter, the old one is tired and has a hard time turning the engine over but hopin for not to much work. It looks as though some one has already been through it since it doesn't show 60 years of crap build up.
Ryan P.

Building the Malahini.
Not yet named.

gdcarpenter

Post by gdcarpenter » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:49 pm

Before looking for a new starter double check all connections, both on the positive and ground sides. Excessive resistance anywhere in the circuit will slow down a starter.

Might be worth installing a new water pump impeller if you do not know when that was last done. At the very least make sure the 'tell tale' hole is 'peeing' at the next start up.

These Old Mercs are happiest revving away, and such a unique and sweet buzz as they run!

ryanp

Post by ryanp » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:24 pm

It's been a few since I last posted anything due it being the busy season of home renovations and you cant say no to money! Posting a few pictures of what I've been able to do with a few hours a week, and it hasn't been much. The only thing that has been real exciting has been the flip it self. I had to coax my brother into helping for a few beers and some food but we both enjoyed spending time together and everything went smooth since no one or anything was broke or hurt in the process. Lastly I just spent the day encapsulating the inside with penetrating epoxy and now for the old saying,,,,( It's like watching paint dry.) Speaking of paint there will be a lot it in the near future plus sanding and then painting and then sanding and then painting and then sanding and then painting.............. Y'all get it.

Happy boat building Ryan P.
I was so happy to get rid of all the cr#p under the boat, it really starts pilling up and gets something gross.

Building the Malahini.
Not yet named.

vupilot

Post by vupilot » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:24 am

Awesome! Congrats on the flip!

ryanp

Post by ryanp » Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:22 am

As of this morning my boat has turned into a swimming pool. We had a nice squall of storms come through town last night and dropped more water than any rain gauge can hold with a 100% chance of rain for the next two days. I had covered it with 2 tarps, a plastic 10 mil drop cloth and cross supports to help hold up the tarps and all of my efforts have been futile.
On the good note I have all the plywood for the decks down and have started with applying cover boards and have a few pictures to post. It has been a real treat for me working on this large project and being able to learn all sorts of new skills and finding new ways to use old ones. I do have to say that I dont ask a lot of questions on the forum but I do read a lot from others who have built and are building on this forum and it has helped me tremendously.
Here are some pictures of progress with some wood that I steam bent into place, a homemade wood clamping system and one of me jumping the gun on stain, man the grain pops but its to dark for my liking.
Happy boat building Ryan.P

Building the Malahini.
Not yet named.

Iggy

Post by Iggy » Tue May 03, 2016 12:28 pm

Hi Ryan! Sorry to hear about the water in the hull, you can go ahead and put a drain-hole in the transom if you like at this stage, no real good reason I can think of to do that later on in the build.

I used DF as a core for my Transom, if you're going painted and fully sealed with epoxy can't see an issue with a trailer-queen style boat.

I used a 90HP on my Malahini, Mariner 1984, god-awful heavy, bit too heavy for my liking but it works great. 40mph GPS top speed, with just me in the boat, smooth lake. I think your classic motor will move you along just fine. The hull is very light compared to the fiberglass jobs on the lake.

You're well below my budget.. I was closer to $12k with a $2.6k motor (expensive where I live in the world). But I love the name, Over Budget, great name for a boat. Break Out Another Thousand = BOAT.

The inside/topside is where she really starts to come alive, I have a lot of great memories of that part of the build. Mine will be hitting the water again in a couple weeks... just for some motivation (hey, others did it to me during my build).

Keep it up! Mind the slivers.. I am still pulling them out of my hands a few years later ;)
Ian (aka Iggy)
My Malahini Build

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Wed May 04, 2016 5:23 am

You are making fast progress Ryan. After nearly 4 years I am only just getting to the flipping stage. Congratulations. Perhaps we'll meet up at some Texas event someday. I would love to see the finished boat.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Return to “Power Boats”