Shaft log setup

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

keith

Shaft log setup

Postby keith » Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:14 am

I am in the process of trying to get my engine to fit. It's proving interesting.

I have purchased a shaft log, hose and stuffing box from Glen-l. The piece of hose is about 4 inches long. I understand that there needs to be some flexibility to allow the stuffing box to self centre but would it hurt if I cut maybe an inch off it? It's pushing my engine forward which in turn is causing it to interfere with a deck frame.

image.jpg
Building a Monaco....provisionally called "Serenity"
http://glen-l-monaco.blogspot.com/

Roberta

Re: Shaft log setup

Postby Roberta » Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:48 am

I shortened the hose on the Torpedo by about an inch, but my alignment was nearly perfect. If the ailgnment is off too much you might have higher side loads on the shaft and bearing because of reduced flexibility. Not sure what boat you are building or what the instructions say, but, is that the actual location of the shaft log? It seems that it should be back further into the frame, but your boat may be different. Leave enough room so things can be slid back to service packing and maintenance.

Roberta
Attachments
Prop shaft in 001.jpg
intake piping 001.jpg
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

keith

Postby keith » Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:59 pm

This has turned into a disaster for me. When I bought the strut about 2 yrs ago I accidentally ordered a 14 degree one instead of 16. This has meant the shaft hole comes out too far forward and I plain can't get my engine where it needs to be.

I am in a cooling off / thinking about it period but at the moment I see no option but to flip the boat back over and re drill the shaft hole at the correct angle.

Currently not happy :x

bob smith

Postby bob smith » Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:34 am

I see no reason you couldn't shim the shaft log to achieve the angle you need. Get it where you want it and bed it in with thickened epoxy. If you have to redrill perhaps do it from inside out then fill/patch with thickened epoxy.
Bob Smith
Chester, SC

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:39 am

Unfortunately, you really need to get that engine back where it belongs or the balance of the boat could be horribly wrong. Best to find out now while you can still do something about it.

Roberta :(

keith

Postby keith » Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:02 pm

I had hoped I could shim my existing strut to get 16 degrees but it would mean a wedge that at the thick end would be 7.5mm.

It's quite depressing to now have to rebuild a frame for it to sit on and then organise people to turn it back over.

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:22 pm

Keith,

Sorry to hear about the shaft log issue. I can imagine it is quite depressing. However, it may not be necessary to reflip the boat. I found this article about haft realignment on a 31 foot Bertam boat that is performed rightside up. Here's the link.

http://www.bertram31.com/proj/tips/bron ... alleys.htm

You might have to raise the boat up high enough to work under but I would think that would be prefereable to making another frame and flipping the boat. Take your time and think this through. Good luck.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

keith

Postby keith » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:30 am

Well its almost two months later and the problem is almost resolved.

I ended up shifting the strut aft by 60mm, and shimming it 2 degrees.

Then I re-drilled the prop shaft hole, and I will be using a "stern tube" basically a fibre glass tube that gets fibre glassed in. Here is a mock up of it using a bit of water pipe. You can see where the shaft log used to sit and the new location. I have gained about 160mm which hopefully will solve my problems getting the engine in the hole.

There are more details on the actual fix in my blog - link below

2015-08-30 10.49.55.jpg

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:37 am

That look's proper!!! Well done!!!

Roberta :D :D :D :D

sscobra

Postby sscobra » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:23 am

Tremendous job on moving the shaft hole and log. That couldn't have been easy! Your shaft hole location looks like mine does. I was concerned about my location since I used a 14 degree strut instead of a 16 degree one. However I was still able to position my engine and have plenty of room for the shaft coupling. Your steering system looks great also. Well engineered. I did notice something in your photo of your shaft log that might be a problem. I hate to mention it, but it looks like your water inlet is too far forward. The plans say to place it back by the strut. Yours is forward of the shaft log. The problem occurs when you accelerate. The bow lifts and most of the boat forward of the rear cockpit is above the water. You might be sucking air instead of water during that time. I hope I am wrong and that your location will work. My Monaco is still a long way from being in the water, so maybe others will chime in with their experiences. Skip
Built the Glen-L Monaco, 2016.

keith

Postby keith » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:56 am

Yes that water inlet is in the wrong position. It turns out every hole I drilled in the bottom was wrong. I have had to move rudder, prop and water inlet.

That water inlet has been capped off because I can't get it out. It was sealed in with 3M 4200 and I have pounded on it with a mallet and it just won't budge so unless it gets in the way it's staying.

I was quite disappointed really. All three holes were in the wrong place for different reasons but it's still been the low point of the (w)hole thing. :lol:

Rich Coey

Postby Rich Coey » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:24 pm

Not so fast with moving the water intake. I do not remember where I got the information for the position of the intake ( maybe from my donor boat ) because the instruction do say to put it adjacent to the strut. Anyway my intake is about 44 inches forward of the strut. I have been running the boat for eight years in all kinds of water conditions and have never had a problem. My skid fin is about 42 inches in front of the water intake and it is rarely out of the water and even then only for about a second. The intake is never out of the water.

Rich

keith

Postby keith » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:12 pm

It may have been your boat I got it from, because it sounds like I originally put it in the same place. Then either someone pointed it out or I read the bit about it being adjacent to the strut so I panicked and tried to move it. That failed so I put another one in. The original one is perfectly usable, just capped off.

Never mind, it gives me some options.

gap998

Postby gap998 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:23 pm

Impressive recovery - painful for you, but comforting for me that even issues like that can be sorted!
Gary

Planning a whole fleet, but starting with a Zip...I think.

"Just when you think you've made something idiot-proof, someone builds a better idiot!"

lindsey

Postby lindsey » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:20 am

thanks

Return to “Power Boats”