Ski Bass - Spilling Mahogany Planking on a plywood hull

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

lookout

Ski Bass - Spilling Mahogany Planking on a plywood hull

Post by lookout » Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:03 pm

I have some info from Gentry in Colborne on putting mahogany planks over plywood and the spilling technique he used. I still am confused on where to start. I am an amateur. I have the hull finished built from plywood. I have enough mahogany planks 4 inches by 1/8 by 6 to 8 feet long to plank the hull from the chine up. The model of the boat is the ski bass. it has flat sides 3/4 of its length from the transom forward. How and where do I begin to spill the mahogany planks on to the hull so it looks descent? any helpful suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Butch Barto

Re: Ski Bass - Spilling Mahogany Planking on a plywood hull

Post by Butch Barto » Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:04 am

you will need to find a millwork shop that can resaw your wood to 3/16 or so and run it through their sander to the finish thickness. I hane used a portable sawmill worked fine to rough cut some 4/4 lumber that I ripped to about 3" wide before reaswing.

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:37 am

With using straight 4" wide pieces you will be fine in the aft 1/2 to 3/4s of the boat. The last forward section will tend to curve upwards because of the shape of the bow. Not a bad look, but not like a true planked boat where the planks tend to be more horizontal looking. In order to achieve that horizontal look, the planks need to be curved, and consequently, will need to be wider than the finished width. This is not easy and is very wasteful as much of the veneer needs to be carved away to get the plank to sit in a horizontal plane. Try to find pictures of boats that have the look you want to see how the planks are layed out. I would start at the shear line. A laser level will help in determining where the planks need to lay. Getting the upper planks straight will help get the look. The lower planks will tend to not be as noticable if not perfect.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

bob smith

Post by bob smith » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:53 am

I used a laser level to line off the hull. Then I used clear adhesive shelf paper to make templates of the planks. Since most of your hull is flat, you might be able to epoxy two planks together to have an 8" plank to work with at the bow. Yes, achieving the parallel plank look is a bit wasteful but the end result it's worth it.
Bob Smith
Chester, SC

keith

Post by keith » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:13 am

Spilling was hard work, but I quite enjoyed it. I got planks as wide as I could get, resawed them with the band saw to about 6mm thick and then put them through the thicknesser to get final dimension, which was for me was about 4.5 mm as thats as lows as the thicknesser would do.

I posted a bit in my blog about the "lining off" process http://glen-l-monaco.blogspot.co.nz/201 ... iling.html

I used the trim router method to match each plank to the last. I'll try and find the post I got the idea from and put a link here.

I started at the chine, but I think if I had to do it over I would start at the sheer as the previous plank gives you something to rest the new plank on.

I used staples, left them overnight generally and pulled them before work in the morning - you will soon come to hate that job. I stapled through some thin rope so they didn't set all the way. Then used a pair of pincer to pull them. Use gloves or you get sore hands real quick.

As Roberta said, the waste is huge, by the time you resaw, sand or thicknesser and then spill, I'm guessing probably 50 - 60 % wastage.

I basically followed this procedure viewtopic.php?f=15&t=26153&p=157664&hil ... er#p157664
Building a Monaco....provisionally called "Serenity"
http://glen-l-monaco.blogspot.com/

Return to “Power Boats”