Klondike Build

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

jprice

Re: New Member

Post by jprice » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:04 am

Boy that's an impressive, yet intimidating picture. :shock:
One heck of an engine room!

Honestly, I think I would be overwhelmed by it all. :?

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:41 pm

Steve

You may want to talk to the transport company at this point. They have people who do this all the time. It may affect the cost a good bit. So, knowing now could be important. It could be as simple as not going under a bridge on an interstate. Then they go up the exit and down the on ramp. Power lines may be an issue. Power companies would rather help you than fix a downed line.

There are lots of potential issues in oversize load movement. It can be done. Contact some trans. people and ease your mind.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Steve S

Post by Steve S » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:34 am

Steve, seeing your boat is on my bucket list…what an accomplishment. Thanks for sharing your adventure. :D
Steve
Squirt build

steveh41

Post by steveh41 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:47 am

Thanks for the feedback guys...

Jeff, everything in the engine room went in one piece at a time so it doesn't seem so bad now. Sort of like a leisurely hands-on DIY workshop in boat systems with plenty of time to sort things out... still, quite a few loose ends to finish up.

Bill, I've finally got a good transport contact and will be following up with him as time goes by.

Steve S, you're very welcome to stop by for a ride when we're finally on the water!

Best regards,

Steve H
The longest journey begins with a single step… then repeat as necessary!

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:57 am

Steve

My first line should of said, "if you haven't already." You've had a lot of time to have thought about that.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Trackhappy
Location: Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia. Building Gentry.

Post by Trackhappy » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:26 pm

There's always a way, Steve. Let not it worry you.
At least the line is above the mid deck level and just involves the top deck. Looks like it should be easy enough to make it removable, which may be a blessing in her future time anyway.
By the time I have built a boat, I'll be ready to build a boat....

steveh41

Post by steveh41 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:43 am

Thanks Glenn, I appreciate your support. Fortunately no significant pilot house framing is yet in place and as you say it can be built to suit when the time comes...

Regards,

Steve

DeltaDawg

Post by DeltaDawg » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:53 pm

Steve, I assume you are bringing that big Klondike to the Pacific Ocean to berth and launch, Santa Cruz, Monterey or San Francisco? Will you allow spectators like me that live near the coast to come watch if I keep my hands in my pocket, lips zipped except for an occasional awe and me and my dogs stay a safe distance from the launch. One more question please is there a launch date penciled in your calendar yet? :D Thank you, Leland

steveh41

Post by steveh41 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:42 pm

Hi Leland,

Sure, you're welcome to come by when we launch. Don't have a date yet but hope to be on the water by summer 2016 if all goes well... maybe a little sooner.

Plan to splash the boat at Svenson's in Alameda; they said it's OK for me to bring my crew to finish up before launch. There will likely be a couple of weeks of work to do at the yard before we're ready for the water.

Planning to get a berth at Marina Village at first... I've been on a waiting list at South Beach Harbor in SF since 2008 but not sure I'll live long enough get in!

Regards,

Steve

Kelsey

Post by Kelsey » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:27 pm

Wow, Thats a massive boat. I really like the lines. Well done! I agree. Its the best therapy ever.

Steve S

Post by Steve S » Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:32 am

Steve, I'm voting for South Beach Harbor in SF. I really want to see your boat and I have a sister who lives in Half Moon Bay. :D Maybe all of us, on this forum, should call the harbor master and tell him you are waiting for acceptance. I’m sure that would work… :lol: :lol: :lol:
Steve
Squirt build

steveh41

Post by steveh41 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:07 am

Steve,

I agree the South Beach Harbor berth would be ideal... we've actually moved from 150 to 42 on the waiting list since 2008 but the guy who's up for the next berth signed up in 2001!

The Marina Village location is very good, on the channel side of Alameda and is actually a little warmer than SF and less prone to fog. The harbor master said to give him a 6 month heads up and he'd get us a berth.

Not sure about the phone call campaign for South Beach but I appreciate the positive support! :D

Best regards,

Steve H

Soloboat

Post by Soloboat » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:07 pm

I still have to figure out where Cathey's Valley is. My sister lives in Vacaville and My visit will coincide with your launch. :)
) Champagne dreams and wishes are possible on a beer budget. Just build the boat.
Nice curves are easy on the eyes.
Go sell crazy somewhere else we're all stocked up here."As Good As It Gets" Jack Nicholson.

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:28 pm

Wow Steve, I never actually looked up your location before. I always thought it was somewhere around LA. Come to find out that you live fairly close to where I lived before we left California for Texas. I lived in Delhi which is a little town near Turlock and Modesto. I had several friends who lived in the Merced / Atwater area. And Lake McClure, I've spent a couple of great houseboat weekends there courtesy of a wealthy friend I used to know out there.

Unfortunately, you must be suffering from the severe drought. It was always quite hot out there, similar to where I live now, but from what I hear now, it's very dry and water is disappearing (also sort of like here - hmmmm)

Anyway, it's beautiful country under normal circumstances.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

steveh41

Post by steveh41 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:45 am

Hi Carl,

It's a small world for sure!

We are having quite a drought here but have seen some early rain this fall and hopefully the situation will improve this season.

Lake McClure is reduced to a small pond and all the houseboats have been pulled out for storage... There's a water bond on the current ballot which (if it passes) would help increase state-wide water storage capacity and improve management practices. It might happen, but the politics in Texas is a lot better than in California!

Steve

Return to “Power Boats”