Amazing Steve!
looks like i have some more reading to do :D
-Billy
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

psychobilly

Re: Klondike Build

Post by psychobilly » Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:05 pm

I see the batteries are installed and running quite well with 13.8 volts bud. :D

Lots of real estate on top of the saloon too.

Not sure what you're doing for AC units but back home the shrimp boats have moved to home style units and use PVC pipe for duct works. A split unit may even be a great idea too. With a split unit you wouldn't have to cut a hole in the top of the saloon. What's your plans for kewl air?

BayouBengal

Post by BayouBengal » Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:33 am

Wow! That's one hell of a big project you've got going there. Looks great, thanks for posting the pics.

steveh41

Re: Klondike Build Continued

Post by steveh41 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:06 am

Thanks for the support guys!
psychobilly wrote:Not sure what you're doing for AC units but back home the shrimp boats have moved to home style units and use PVC pipe for duct works. A split unit may even be a great idea too. With a split unit you wouldn't have to cut a hole in the top of the saloon. What's your plans for kewl air?
I'm going with self contained units, 16K BTU in salon/galley and 9K BTU in each cabin. I like the idea of PVC ducts. Still need to mount the raw water pumps for the condensers.

The start batteries were just coming off float charge when the pic was taken, ordinarily they sit at about 12.8V. Except for charging they are otherwise separate from the other circuits so I can't accidentally run them down.

Best regards,

Steve
Last edited by steveh41 on Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The longest journey begins with a single step… then repeat as necessary!

sscobra

Post by sscobra » Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:19 am

Wow, what an impressive build! Had not since this post before. Glad it got moved to the power boat section where I tend to hover the most. The scale of this project is amazing, makes me think my tiny Monaco project is too simple! Great work. Skip
Built the Glen-L Monaco, 2016.

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:29 am

Steve,

I am glad that you have all this in one place now and that the title of the thread has changed. I know a few times I missed your postings under the older title. As always the work is top notch. I started going through the thread again yesterday, looking at it from the perspective of my own experience now and just marveling at the amount of patience you have . Such a huge undertaking.

Your Klondike is going to be so special when finished, it will take a month after you unveil her before you get get past all the admirers and actually launch her! :D :D
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

psychobilly

Post by psychobilly » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:16 am

mrintense wrote: I missed your postings under the older title.
You can subscribe to this thread and never miss a post. I have several threads subscribed to. :-)

steveh41

Post by steveh41 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:42 pm

Carl,

Thanks for the kind compliment. I appreciate hearing from you and have enjoyed following your meticulous build. :D

Best regards,

Steve

Trackhappy
Location: Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia. Building Gentry.

Post by Trackhappy » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:01 pm

Oh Yeah! This is better watching than the current round of TV shows we have on over here!!!

Steve, I have been quiet but still watching you fantastic progress. Those cabin roof stringers alone are some piece of work.

Excellent work as usual.
By the time I have built a boat, I'll be ready to build a boat....

psychobilly

Post by psychobilly » Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:28 pm

Steve,

Maybe I missed it but how did you manage cutting all of those Salon Cross Beams? And did you notch the walls only or both the wall and beam? Must have been wide boards to get all that curve! Really nice shape and I would love to crawl around on her!!!

Have you taken a nap in the Salon yet?

steveh41

Post by steveh41 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:47 am

Billy,

The beams are laminated to 2-1/2" from 1/2 x 2" strips. The rim joists are notched for the full thickness of the rafters, will all tie together with the roof planking. Did the laminations a couple of years ago; they've been collecting dust in a corner of the shop until recently. Kind of missed the runway on that one!

Haven't camped out in the salon yet but my 13 year old wants to give it a try, maybe next weekend. Will need to vac up some dust to do it. :lol:

Glenn, good to hear from you! :D I'm still enjoying watching youtube clips of your beautiful Gentry... Hope you're getting a chance to get out and enjoy her now & then.

Best regards,

Steve

psychobilly

Post by psychobilly » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:57 am

LOL, that was pre-planning at it's FINEST!!! I suppose you made a nice jig, clamped, and laminated the 1/2" strips on. Very nice. When I was growing up I worked summers on a 75 foot Shrimp Boat that was built by Landry Boat Works in Bayou La Batre, AL. BEAUTIFUL hull design, (must search this hull and look her up, beautiful line)

The inside of the salon had the mahogany beams running just like yours and were bright work finished. Ahhhhh, childhood memories when looking at the salon of yours. Cleaned a many a dishes in that ole boat.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Landry Boat&&form=IDIVXX

You need to get vacuuming bud, he will never forget these days.

gap998

Post by gap998 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:41 pm

I think that's a different Landry! - Nice lines all the same. :wink:
Gary

Planning a whole fleet, but starting with a Zip...I think.

"Just when you think you've made something idiot-proof, someone builds a better idiot!"

CAVEMAN

Post by CAVEMAN » Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:08 am

WOW, I sure hope you live close to water. What's your plan for transporting? This is an amazing build. Lots of $$$$$. :

psychobilly

Post by psychobilly » Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:34 am

CAVEMAN wrote: This is an amazing build. Lots of $$$$$. :
BOAT = Bring On Another Thousand

Return to “Power Boats”