Klondike Build

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

gap998

Re: Klondike Build

Post by gap998 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:25 pm

Bill Edmundson wrote:...That's a lot of boat! But, I bet my wife could fill it up! ...
Literally Laughed Out Loud - I can surely identify with that comment!
Gary

Planning a whole fleet, but starting with a Zip...I think.

"Just when you think you've made something idiot-proof, someone builds a better idiot!"

Trackhappy
Location: Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia. Building Gentry.

Post by Trackhappy » Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:23 pm

Must be nice having a break from all the mechanicals for a while. Looking fantastic!
By the time I have built a boat, I'll be ready to build a boat....

steveh41

Post by steveh41 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:31 pm

Thanks Glenn, good to hear from you. Will be getting back to finishing up systems installation soon! A little light at the end of the tunnel...

Regards,

Steve
The longest journey begins with a single step… then repeat as necessary!

steveh41

Post by steveh41 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:30 pm

A brief progress post...

The pilot house roof is in place and the edge reinforcement is being shaped and laminated.

Have made allowance for removing the top of the pilot house for transport. Outer plywood layer is precut and reinforcing cleats are on either side of joint line. Just need to cut the vertical frame sections and lift it off in one piece.

The flybridge seating is framed up and sealed. It won't be permanently attached until after transport.

Lots of sealing and sanding ahead!

Regards,

Steve
Attachments
001 Pilot House Roof.jpg
002 Boat Deck Detail.jpg
003 Flybridge Seats.jpg

Steve S

Post by Steve S » Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:13 pm

Great progress Steve.
Steve S
Squirt build

Dave Grason

Post by Dave Grason » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:58 am

I so agree! Great progress.

I envy you in that you've even gotten the chance to do something like this that I have never had and am not likely to have anytime soon. So I'm living vicariously through you as are, I'm sure, others too. :D

So here's a question: How are you going to use this boat when it's completed? Are you going to Alaska? Please tell me that you are cause I want to live vicariously on that too. :P
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:56 am

Wow.... The basic outline of your boat is complete! I forgot you had a bow thruster. I'm sure that will make life much easier around the docks. It's a shame that you'll have to cut the top off but I bet by the time you're done no one will ever know but you (and us) that it was ever done.

Dave, with the range stated on the Glen-l catalog (1300 miles) he's well within range (from SF Bay) of Canada and Mexico WITHOUT refueling. Looks like he can go just about wherever he wants! Amazing!
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

steveh41

Post by steveh41 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:26 am

Steve S wrote:Great progress Steve.
Thanks Steve!
Dave Grason wrote:How are you going to use this boat when it's completed? Are you going to Alaska? Please tell me that you are cause I want to live vicariously on that too. :P
Thanks Dave... yes, Alaska is on my bucket list. Heating and defrost capability was designed with that trip in mind. I've promised my younger son we'll do it one summer while he's in high school... if I don't get with it I'll miss that window!
hoodman wrote: Dave, with the range stated on the Glen-l catalog (1300 miles) he's well within range (from SF Bay) of Canada and Mexico WITHOUT refueling. Looks like he can go just about wherever he wants! Amazing!
Thanks Hoodman... The 1300 mile range quoted in the catalog is at 12 knots, which is pretty much flat out for this hull. At 8 knots the fuel burn should be less than 2 gph which would more than double that figure. Looking forward to checking out the performance when we're on the water. :D

Best regards,

Steve

specialk

Post by specialk » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:44 am

Steve .. were do I start... I am at a crossroad, as what to build next.. I look at your accomplishment and think "well I can build a bigger Boat"...

still not sure.. your build is a work of art.. it has to make you feel good just sitting there and looking what you have created... please keep the pictures coming..! kelly
Kelly...1st Boat...Flats Flyer
2nd Boat.....?

steveh41

Post by steveh41 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:19 pm

Kelly,

Thanks for your kind compliment.

Good luck on your choice of your next project... I think if you have a specific task or mission in mind that requires a bigger boat it makes sense to go for it. Planning for the time and financial commitments is an important part of the process, and in my experience both exceeded my expectations... especially the time. Getting approval and support for the project from significant others is also crucial to success, as is having a suitable place for the build over the duration.

The cost of building in my experience doesn't save anything over the cost of a new boat, and a used boat could be an even better deal; however, when you're building your own, you are paying as you go and when you're done the boat is yours without owing the bank.

I've posted earlier on that I was fortunate to find two experienced guys to help out part time on my build about 2 years in, but that was almost 6 years ago and we've still got a way to go. The construction time roughly correlates with displacement so you can get an idea of what to plan for by comparison with other projects. The Glen-l designs are all attractive and highly functional so whichever you choose your efforts will be rewarded with a boat to be proud of.

Again thanks for your interest and support.

Best regards,

Steve

Dave Grason

Post by Dave Grason » Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:45 pm

If you decide to cruise that fine craft down to Mexico, you might need extra crew members -Spanish speaking crew members. Hint hint. (hope hope hope)

Yes, you will definitely need a Spanish speaking crew member that is willing to sleep in the engine room so as not to be in the way. I think I know where that particular skill set can be found. :lol:
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

steveh41

Post by steveh41 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:02 pm

Hey Dave,

Mexico is definitely on the list... there will likely be an opening for the graveyard watch! :lol: :D

jenko

Post by jenko » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:25 pm

Melbourne is out of range at 8,000 miles but you could port hop

steveh41

Post by steveh41 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:45 pm

Pete,

That's a trip I'd love to make when I can get the time... will have to be at least semi-retired. San Francisco, Hawaii, Tahiti, New Zealand, Melbourne would work with no legs more than about 2200 nm. Good chance to see the Southern Cross and check out some of the fine boats being built down under. :D

Regards,

Steve

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:45 am

Somehow I missed this when it was first posted. Steve, you continue to amaze me with the work you are doing. And then I read the post about the desire to visit Australia with the boat! Yikes, I didn't realize that was even in the realm of possibilities!
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Return to “Power Boats”