Klondike Build

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

psychobilly

Re: New Member

Post by psychobilly »

Man, that lazerette access is sweet! You are gunna be soooooo happy you built that one day! Great dry storage area for spare dock lines, bumpers, buoys, ect.

Much too nice Steve.

jenko

Post by jenko »

great progress Steve . Getting close to launch?

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Thumbs Up Steve!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

steveh41

Post by steveh41 »

Thanks Billy. Hopefully will be able to find a place for all the necessary gear.

Pete and Bill, thanks for your support. Hope to be in the water by Sept 2016 but my track record for estimating progress is not so good... I think you will both likely beat me to launch!

Regards,

Steve
The longest journey begins with a single step… then repeat as necessary!

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Very nice Steve. That swim deck blends right in with the design. From the description, it sounds like it's very sturdy. Great work.

I know what you mean about estimating completions. I've missed everyone I've set. Some by quite a wide margin. But it is the build that matters and you will definitely have a one of a kind beauty that you can be proud of. I keep telling myself that as another summer slips by. :) :)
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

Steve S

Post by Steve S »

Great work, Steve. You are a master builder. Love watching your progress.

Steve S
Squirt build

steveh41

Post by steveh41 »

Carl and Steve S,

Thanks for your support. Sorry for the delayed reply, have been away from the forum for a while.

Regards,

Steve H

steveh41

Post by steveh41 »

Have made some progress on several fronts. Seems lately like there are very few things that can be completed without first getting something else worked out.

For reference, have attached a sketch of the final window and door layout for the deckhouse. The salon window widths have been reduced from 36 to about 24 inches to decrease the area of unsupported glass; tried to keep total area about the same. Also at my wife's suggestion went to U configuration for galley cabinets with sink against outside wall... this eliminates the port side door.

Framing and rim joists are in place; the rafters are about 3 x 2" on 12" centers with a slight crown to assist drainage off the boat deck. These were laminated up about 2 years ago and have been stored in the shop since... another slight miscalculation! :?

One more post to follow...
Attachments
001 New window layout.jpg
002 Deckhouse framing 1.jpg
003 Deckhouse framing 2.jpg

steveh41

Post by steveh41 »

Last one...

Have spent some time on forward & aft winch layout and hydraulic plumbing. The hydraulic lines are currently looped to allow circulation through the filters prior to final hookup. Ended up with an additional filter on the low pressure side per recommendation. The engine pumps both work great and no (more) leaks!

I'm glad to be able to spend less time crawling around in the bilge looking for lost screws and tightening fittings etc. and more time standing upright!

Best regards,

Steve
Attachments
004 Forward winch.jpg
005 Aft winch.jpg
006 Hydraulic plumbing.jpg

jenko

Post by jenko »

[quote][/quote]Have made some progress on several fronts. Seems lately like there are very few things that can be completed without first getting something else worked out.
And it gets worse as you get closer to finished .Looking good Steve , nice hydraulic layout.

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Nice to hear from you again Steve. Every time I see updates to your gargantuan project, I am utterly amazed at the amount of work you are accomplishing. I believe you have an enormous amount of patience. That hydraulic setup reminds me of the setup in the P-3 Orion aircraft I used to work on.

The cabin is looking wonderful.

Keep up the good work. I know you want to get done and enjoy her. :D :D
Carl

Clipper Boating

ian bell

Post by ian bell »

Looking good Steve
Ian

steveh41

Post by steveh41 »

Pete, Carl and Ian,

Thanks very much for your kind words. I read a quote from William Garden a while back that building the hull took about 20% of the total time and expense required to complete a boat... I thought at the time he was exaggerating a bit but I'm beginning to believe he was telling the truth. Getting support and positive feedback on this forum is a great source of encouragement, and getting to check out the other builds is a great way to get motivated when my energy level starts to drop. Many thanks to all. :D :D

Best regards,

Steve

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Steve

I agree with your comments. If it wasn't for the people here, I don't know how I'd keep going some days. Plug and Chug, it will get done someday.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

I want to also add to this line of thought. There are many days when I feel like I'm getting nowhere or don't feel like doing some less than fun task. I always come back to the forum and invariably my enthusiasm is rekindled enough to get through the next task. It's funny because there are sometimes, when the forum is a bit slow, and there are no new postings and I get a bit down because I can't get that burst of excitement.

Anyway, I want to say thanks to all who participate here because like Bill and Steve, I know I couldn't get through this without your help.

Sorry to hijack the thread Steve. :D :D :D :D
Carl

Clipper Boating

Return to “Power Boats”