Klondike Build

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

DrBryanJ

Re: Klondike Build

Post by DrBryanJ »

Steve: Looks great. I agree with Carl. The amount of work in your build is staggering.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."
We're still happily married, but now she just wants "the dam boat out of the garage."

steveh41

Post by steveh41 »

Thanks for the support and kind words guys...

Bill,

My wife had the same question regarding granite countertops... and I had to give her the same answer! We're still quite a few miles out from cabinetry and finish work (and more sanding :? ).

Dave,

The main thing which has allowed this project to move forward is the internet. Couldn't have gotten to this point without being able to look up a part number or description and find half a dozen suppliers with price and availability info, as well as articles and ads for production boats and layouts... not to mention the resources and support of the Glen -L builder's community. Couldn't have done this 20 years ago!

Carl and Bryan,

Thanks for your continued interest and support. It's not so bad one day at a time... I only get overwhelmed if I start looking too far ahead!

Best regards,

Steve
Last edited by steveh41 on Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The longest journey begins with a single step… then repeat as necessary!

psychobilly

Post by psychobilly »

steveh41 wrote: It's not so bad one day at a time... I only get overwhelmed if I start looking too far ahead!

Best regards,

Steve
Speaking of looking too far ahead, have yawl thought of the first Port of Call? Or ar ya sticking to the KISS approach for this too? :D

steveh41

Post by steveh41 »

Hey Billy,

Looking at Alameda on SF Bay for the initial launch and berth; harbormaster at Marina Village said 6 months heads up would work.

Have been on a waiting list for South Beach Harbor in San Francisco since 2008... Started at 152, currently 29 to go, but the guy up for the next berth signed up in 2001! So I need to stay healthy for a few more years :lol: ...

Regards,

Steve

steveh41

Post by steveh41 »

A brief update for the weekend...

Have finished the first layer of planking for the pilot house roof; second layer is cut in but not laminated. This is the last major topside construction task but still have quite a few details to work out for the flybridge console and seating. Will soon be able to focus on finishing up systems installation then on to cabinetry & real finish work. :D

Have received salon doors & windows for trial fit... won't be making permanent installation for a while.

The air intake grill is welded up and ready to go for powder coat. This was built by the guy who did the tanks & rudder...

We've gotten a fair amount of much needed rain this winter which has slowed the building process down a bit due to low temps and humidity. Will post as progress permits...

Regards,

Steve
Attachments
01 pilot house roof.jpg
02 window test fit.jpg
03 air intake grill.jpg

jenko

Post by jenko »

nice grill Steve ,
why the diagonal lay on the pilot house roof ? diagonal strength ,maximization of ply?

chugalug

Post by chugalug »

Wow! What a project! Looks good. How many coats of epoxy does everything get?And how many 55 gal barrels of the stuff have you used so far. :D
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

steveh41

Post by steveh41 »

Thanks Pete and chugalug! :D
jenko wrote: why the diagonal lay on the pilot house roof ? diagonal strength ,maximization of ply?
Have used diagonal planking on all laminated surfaces for strength with second layer at right angles, but ended up with a bunch of 3/8" ply triangles so probably not the most efficient way to go. Have saved all the scraps... they seem to come in handy for smaller stuff and I'm thinking will get pretty well used up on cabinetry etc.
chugalug wrote: How many coats of epoxy does everything get?And how many 55 gal barrels of the stuff have you used so far. :D
So far, minimum of 2 coats epoxy to seal followed by primer/Bilgekote as necessary. Glassed areas have taken 2 or more additional coats to fill the weave after initial layup. Including laminating resin and adhesive, we're at about 75 gal. and counting although it's slowing down a bit. There's a pretty good price break on epoxy in quantity... I keep telling my wife to think how much we're saving... :lol: :wink:

Regards,

Steve
Last edited by steveh41 on Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Good to see an update Steve. We do seem to go through a lot of epoxy on these builds don't we. I'm nowhere near 75 gallons, but I have used more than 10 so far.

As usual, the work looks outstanding. Good thinking on the diagonal roof laminations. I suspect that any horizontal surface is fair game for standing on at some point.

Thanks for the update.
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

Steve, I realized I have never commented on your thread. I guess I just dont know what to say. Its just so far beyond my humble little barge. Your boat is amazing. I hope we'll get a video tour someday. No need to wait until its done. We all like to see the guts.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

steveh41

Post by steveh41 »

Thanks Carl and Matt for your kind compliments.

I confess having to move clutter out of the field of view for most of the posted pics... there are places that look like a war zone that I've tried to avoid showing too much of. Will have to get further along to make things presentable enough for a virtual tour...

Regards,

Steve

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Steve

I try to hide the clutter, too. I still love to see what is going on.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ »

As you can see from my pics I don't do a very good job of hiding the clutter. Never been very good at picking up after myself or so my wife tells me. Any way: Steve I've been watching your thread for some time. Your work is impeccable. To take on such a large build, my mind can't even fathom such an endevor.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."
We're still happily married, but now she just wants "the dam boat out of the garage."

steveh41

Post by steveh41 »

Thanks Bill and Bryan for your kind words... helps me keep pedaling!

Regards,

Steve

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Steve

I just looked back. For those who came in late, This is a 49' boat with a 15'+ beam! That's a lot of boat! But, I bet my wife could fill it up!

Thank GOD it won't fit in my basement!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Return to “Power Boats”