Klondike Build

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Dave Grason

Re: Klondike Build

Post by Dave Grason » Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:17 pm

I'm no expert on this idea of cruising to Oz but I've always thought that there were two ways to go for most small craft.

#1. Sail down to Panama and then over to the Galapagos Islands. Next stop would be the Marquesas and then to Tahiti. From there it is a simple matter of island hopping.

#2. There is a more southern route I think that includes Easter Island and Pitcairn Island and then on to Tahiti. This would take a little longer because it is not as direct but the scenery may be well worth it.

Finally, I think that if I were to ever actually get to do this, I'd likely do it as a full circumnavigation because I think that getting to Australia from the US is easier than getting back by the same route - tradewinds, prevailing currents and such. I don't really know.

Finally, if memory serves me correctly, you don't want to sail too early in the summer season because it's still hurricane/cyclone season in that part of the world. Maybe some one else who knows more about this stuff can chime in.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

Dave Grason

Post by Dave Grason » Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:26 pm

Ok, I just googled some of my ideas here.

Distance wise, it is roughly 3400 miles from the Galapagos to the Marquesas. That's pretty darn far unless you've got sails. (Of course, I have no clue WHY having sails would change the distance at all. :oops: )

However, it is only a mere 2200 miles give or take to Easter Island then another 1400 miles to Pitcairn. Pitcairn to Tahiti is about the same - 1400 miles.

Of course, this is all assuming that you catch all the traffic just right and that there are no detours because of road construction or something. .... :lol:
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

steveh41

Post by steveh41 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:50 am

Dave,

Thanks for the route research... I haven't looked much at planning details regarding weather constraints etc. for the cruising the south pacific but am looking forward to the day. The few references I've seen so far are largely geared toward sailboat requirements, which adds a consideration for prevailing winds that doesn't apply to powerboats.

Carl, thanks again for your kind compliments and thoughts... my original reason for starting this project was to have a boat suitable for extended cruising, assuming that someday I might have the time to do it!

Regards,

Steve
The longest journey begins with a single step… then repeat as necessary!

Dave Grason

Post by Dave Grason » Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:09 pm

There are a number of videos on YouTube that feature a variety of folks who sail in various craft from this hemisphere to Asia via Polynesia. For about a year, I've been following the adventures of one group in particular - their videos on YouTube and their blog. They are quite a hedonistic group of young people but I've really enjoyed the videos. They began their trip like most - sailing down through Mexican waters and over to the Galapagos and then to the Marquesas. Like so many other passage makers, they spent quite a bit of time getting their light air practice in the doldrums. For the powerboat passage makers, this is not an issue and so, I think that this voyage under power is rather uneventful. I could be wrong. Here's a link:

http://svdelos.blogspot.com/p/blog-page_30.html?m=1

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:13 pm

Steve

Actually, even in a power boat adverse windage would add up to more fuel. I think about the Great Loop. You want to think about the wind a currents. Both. Going and Coming Back!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

steveh41

Post by steveh41 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:57 am

Bill Edmundson wrote:Steve

Actually, even in a power boat adverse windage would add up to more fuel. I think about the Great Loop. You want to think about the wind a currents. Both. Going and Coming Back!

Bill
Bill,

That's good advice for sure... and speaking of the great loop, that looks like a trip worth planning!

Steve

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:04 am

Steve

I'm not sure the Loop will ever happen. But, it's fun to think about.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Dave Grason

Post by Dave Grason » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:07 pm

Be that as it may Bill, don't write it off. You never know and you are not an old man .... not yet anyway. I don't know about how things go in other families, but in the Grason family, they can change really fast, really quickly - sometimes for the worse but very often for the better.

Here's just a small symptom of what I'm talking about. The last several semesters of college have seen my weight soaring and my blood pressure too. Since graduation, I've dropped 30 lbs and this morning's blood pressure reading was 125/80 and this is after I even forgot to take my meds yesterday. This in itself is, to me, a sign of good things to come. We'll see.

steveh41

Post by steveh41 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:26 pm

Dave,

Congrats on graduation and the favorable health changes! Amazing what resolving a little stress can do for our well-being...

Steve

steveh41

Post by steveh41 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:38 pm

Took advantage of a break in the rain to take a few progress pics.

Trying to get an idea of where to best place the dinghy mounts with regard to the aft stays etc. What seemed at first like plenty of room on the boat deck is starting to feel a little snug... The mast will be stepped on the pad in the midline.

The port seat will contain the header tank for the hot water heat system as well as the inlet air box for the engine room. The starboard seat will lift for general storage. The console contains a few basic instruments and the engine controls. The header tank for the steering hydraulic system is at the console high point.

Also collecting parts to finish fresh water plumbing but not much progress to show yet...

Regards,

Steve
Attachments
Port and stbd flybridge seats and console
Port and stbd flybridge seats and console
Console close up... basic engine instrument panel test fit.
Console close up... basic engine instrument panel test fit.
View of flybridge from front... dinghy outline on boat deck to stbd
View of flybridge from front... dinghy outline on boat deck to stbd

steveh41

Re: New Member

Post by steveh41 » Sun May 29, 2016 7:00 pm

A brief update in 2 posts:

The pilot house roof has been finished with a one-part poly-u coating recommended by jprice (thanks for the tip!). Forward flood lights are (temp) mounted and pilot house window frames are roughed in. Will have more pics when I can remove the awning and get some better light.

The galley cooktop is wired in so the generator can be loaded up for break in. Ended up using a Victron autotransformer to get the 240 VAC for appliances. Dampers for the engine air inlets can be seen just below counter top level... these are activated by the fire extinguisher system to shut off engine air if needed.

Have spent a lot of time getting the AC wiring cleaned up and routed in conduits. This has burned quite a bit of time hunkered down in the bilge. Can only do an hour or so at a stretch... not feeling so flexible these days!

One more set to follow...
Attachments
Flood lights on top of pilot house. Also forward winch hydraulics are plumbed
Flood lights on top of pilot house. Also forward winch hydraulics are plumbed
Galley cooktop, autotransformer for 240V and engine air dampers
Galley cooktop, autotransformer for 240V and engine air dampers
Genset and AC conduits. Also holding tank for day head
Genset and AC conduits. Also holding tank for day head

steveh41

Post by steveh41 » Sun May 29, 2016 7:07 pm

Last set:

Mounting pads for exterior lights are installed.

The swim platform supports have been sitting around the shop for a while; finally got them mounted. Finish is powder coat primer over stainless... will be painted to match hull.

The mast and boom tubing has arrived. The metal guy will be getting started on these next week.

That's all for now.

Regards,

Steve
Attachments
Mounting pads for exterior lights
Mounting pads for exterior lights
Swim platform braces are 1/8 stainless
Swim platform braces are 1/8 stainless
3.5 x 3/16 6061-T6 mast and 2.5 x 1/8 boom
3.5 x 3/16 6061-T6 mast and 2.5 x 1/8 boom

Trackhappy
Location: Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia. Building Gentry.

Post by Trackhappy » Sun May 29, 2016 7:26 pm

Hi Steve,

So many details, and every one of them must be right. I would kill myself with worry that I built in something I couldn't get access to later...;) Nice looking swim platform, very clean lines but solid looking. Great job as usual.!
By the time I have built a boat, I'll be ready to build a boat....

steveh41

Post by steveh41 » Sun May 29, 2016 8:57 pm

Thanks Glenn,

Good to hear from you!

I confess to obsessing over details of accessibility and maintenance, but the slow pace of progress has usually allowed me to only have to deal with one issue at a time. Kind of a trial and error process; just have to stick with each phase until it gets worked out. I'm learning first hand the truth of your signature line...

Best regards,

Steve
Last edited by steveh41 on Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

jamundsen

Post by jamundsen » Mon May 30, 2016 4:15 am

Someday I'm going to have to see your vessel. It's hard to call it a boat. It's magnificent.
John Amundsen
Monte Carlo
Lakeland,Fl

Work tends to get in the way of boat building

Return to “Power Boats”