Klondike Build

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

steveh41

Re: Klondike Build

Postby steveh41 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:50 am

Thanks guys for your kind words... and I appreciate this forum that allows us to share progress, setbacks and questions. On the days that it seems I'm just putting one foot in front of the other without much to show for it I've been inspired by browsing the many past and current projects documented here for ideas and motivation.

Best regards,

Steve
The longest journey begins with a single step… then repeat as necessary!

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:21 am

Steve

Me Too!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

partager

Postby partager » Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:10 pm

Hello Steve:

I am a new member to this forum and also a newbie at building boats. I work as a Financial Consultant (glorified accountant my father used to call me). Born in NYC in 1954, son of Venezuelan diplomats. College educated state side, I live in Margarita Island, Venezuela. Enjoyed cruising for many years with my parents and two sisters in our Grand Banks 32 during the winter months in the Eastern Caribbean. (End of bio part).

My interest is building a modified Argosy (smaller version of the Klondike) in the next two years. Day dreaming? Keep reading... Hull construction will take part in a boat yard down here including mechanical, plumbing and electrical installations. Prices are very competitive here ( $ 1.00 / hour for qualified labor). Diesel fuel is almost free ( $ 2 cents per gallon, YES YOU READ IT RIGHT!)

I have looked online for a design to accommodate my vision, and as you said in this forum, there not many out there. The Argosy meets most of my criteria, except for the pilot house which I had not considered due to weather realities in this part of the world. ( winters: 82 F max 72 F min ). Deck house and forward accommodations can be modified, or I least I think so.

These are very elementary sketches of what I wanted, before looking at the Argosy (no pilot house). Argosy´s design is robust and seaworthy, and Glen-L´s reputation is a guarantee.

I have a zillion questions to ask you (after several hours of reading and admiring what you have accomplished !).

Please forgive my English, is a bit rusty
Attachments
INTERNAL LAYOUT 2-page-001.jpg
INTERNAL LAYOUT 2-page-002.jpg
INTERNAL LAYOUT 2-page-003.jpg
Pedro Romero
"PARTAGER"

steveh41

Postby steveh41 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:32 pm

Pedro,

Your proposed layouts are interesting... I'd be reluctant to take on both design and build though, especially for a first project. The Argosy looks like a solid design and I believe shares the same frame templates as the Klondike, with spacing shortened by about 10%.

It's easy to underestimate the build time on a project like this. You're likely going to need north of 15,000 hrs from start to launch, so to do it in 2 years would take maybe 4 or 5 guys working full time plus a lot of planning to source materials and components... another good reason not to take risks with major modifications to a proven design.

Good luck and please keep us in the loop on your project...

Regards,

Steve

partager

Postby partager » Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:40 am

Hello Steve:

Thank you for your comments and insight. I am revising my build time estimate as per your observations and experience. I will also keep modifications to a minimum :D

Yes the Argosy and Klondike are very much alike. Main difference as you said is frame separation (30" vs 36" I think). Power requirement is another difference. I noticed that you are using a Lugger L1066H as your main engine ( a reliable engine 250 SHP, weights some 2.500 pounds) . My idea is to use a Volvo D3 150 (144 SHP, 700 pounds).

Looking at lumber sources locally and abroad (Brazil, USA). Marine plywood will definitely be imported. Margarita Island is Duty Free which is an advantage and Miami will be my hub to all imports needed for the build.

In another note, I found this marine interiors company in Alameda worth looking at : http://www.paragonmarineinteriors.com

This is a sample of their work

Have a great weekend

GALLEY.jpg
Attachments
ENTRETAINMENT CENTER.jpg
Pedro Romero
"PARTAGER"

steveh41

Postby steveh41 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:38 pm

Pedro,

Thanks for the marine interior company link. Alameda is just a few hours from my shop.

Regarding an appropriate engine, the Volvo D3 150 would seem to be a very acceptable choice with high quality, suitable power, common rail injection etc. However, as diesel power output approaches 1hp/cu.in., long haul reliability will necessarily be reduced... to what degree, hard to say and maybe not a significant factor for your intended use.

Here's a discussion of pros and cons of high output marine diesel engines which might be useful:

http://www.yachtsurvey.com/GasDiesel.htm

Sounds like you've got a good line on lumber and plywood...

Best regards,

Steve

partager

Postby partager » Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:26 pm

Hi Steve

Glad you found the link useful.

Engine:

Thanks for the link. Very instructive and answers many questions I had. Volvo has in the same D3 line other models: 170 (165) 200 (194) and 220 (213). Propeller shaft power in parenthesis. Measurements and weights similar to the 150. They are faster 4000 vs 3000 rpm. Cost of course would be higher but manageable. I will certainly look into it and also other manufacturers.

My performance parameters are: 10 knots max speed, 8 knots cruising speed at 2 gallons per hour. Range of 2000+ nautical miles. Yearly usage: 300 hours.

Plywood, Epoxy and FG cloth:

I have seen that you are using Hydrotek Meranti top side. Did you use the same plywood for planking bottom and sides?

Looking at Silver Tip for Epoxy, comes highly recommended. I Can get good prices in Florida, same for Plywood (Meranti, Okume) , FG cloth, primer, paint and varnish

www.boatbuidercentral.com
www.worlpanel.com

Deciding quantities of those basic items is critical to me since I´d like to import ALL that I will need to build the hull and superstructure in one container (Ply, Epoxy, FG, primer, etc). Machinery, generator, plumbing, galley appliances, electrical stuff and everything else would come later in a second container.

Additionally to the Bill of Materials, do you have an estimate of how much ply, epoxy, FG , primer and paint will you be end up using? Mine would be 85% of yours, I think. Your insights into this issue would be really helpful.

Thanks in advance
Pedro Romero
"PARTAGER"

steveh41

Postby steveh41 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:41 pm

Pedro,

I sent you a PM.

Steve

Terminus

Postby Terminus » Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:30 pm

I just read through this whole thread and I just wanted to say awesome job. It must have felt so good when you finally finished it. It looks great by the way, would love to see it in the water.
For me the long tail pro keywords are the best.

steveh41

Postby steveh41 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:45 am

Thanks Terminus... actually not finished yet but seeing some light at the end of the tunnel. Right now finishing up some loose ends in the topside structure followed by exterior prime and paint. Then on to the interior buildout. There's still a long list of things to do.

Regards,

Steve

steveh41

Postby steveh41 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:10 pm

A couple of pics for the weekend...

Trying to wrap up building out the last corner of the salon; have enclosed the aft winch and built a box for washdown hoses and other gear on the aft wall just above it. The quick disconnects for fresh and raw water washdown are on the lower edge and a waterproof 110v receptacle is next to the door opening.

Had a windy day last week and the awning is just about gone. Hopefully will get the exterior painting done soon so it won't have to be replaced again! :?

That's all for now...

Regards,

Steve
Attachments
001 Aft winch enclosure.jpg
Aft winch will be permanently installed after finishing out the inside of the box
002 Aft winch enclosure interior view.jpg
A look at the box from inside
003 Awning adios.jpg
Got nearly 4 years out of this awning but I think it's done!

Dave Grason

Postby Dave Grason » Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:11 pm

partager wrote: Please forgive my English, is a bit rusty

Por favor, no te preocupes. Tu capacidad de comunicarse con nosotros está muy bien.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

steveh41

Postby steveh41 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:23 pm

Thanks Dave... That's what I meant to say!

Dave Grason

Postby Dave Grason » Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:08 pm

Thank you... and I didn't even have to use Google Translate. :lol:
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

partager

Postby partager » Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:04 am

Morning Dave !

Thank you for you comforting words....Tu español es excelente by the way ! :D
Pedro Romero
"PARTAGER"

Return to “Power Boats”