Klondike Build

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

steveh41

Re: Klondike Build

Postby steveh41 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:26 pm

Billy you nailed it... the fitting in question is a 1/4" NPT x 1/2" JIC. The steel compression nut was tightened without a backup wrench and the bronze housing with the NPT port cracked. Sadly, this is a vent line which doesn't need to seal against high pressure, so there was no point to over tightening. The pressure lines are straight thread ORB's and are all Ok.

Appreciate your input... will be checking out the Loc-Tite website for sealing info.

Best regards,

Steve
The longest journey begins with a single step… then repeat as necessary!

psychobilly

Postby psychobilly » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:23 pm

We use Loads of different Loctite products. On our very sensitive Subsea Controls Systems, they must be flushed to a NAS Class 6 or better. What is that you ask? Well, lets say if you don't have a particle counter machine, we have to use a microscope to see them and count the particles. That means PTFE Tape is a NO NO in our industry. The PTFE will break off and can render our equipment useless. Not good when the equipment is big and sometimes over a mile under water! :shock:

Have a look at Loctite and see which one fits the bill. The thread maker should have a recommended Loctite part number. Like I say, on JIC it's not required for sealing but more to prevent gaulding.

Good idea to have you some left over fittings in your boat tool box too with a couple of EXTRA long hydraulic hoses as spare. You get some long hoses then this would cover spares for a wide range on your boat. Keep these next to the Dawn in the Engine Room. :lol:

Don't beat yourself up, we see this all the time. Unlike you, my guys break stuff, but it don't come out of their pocket so the lesson isn't learned as good as yours was! You won't make this mistake ever again, I'm sure of it.

steveh41

Postby steveh41 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:27 pm

A brief update...

The Utility dinghy has been on a back burner; probably won't be completed until after launching the Klondike. Have made some progress though and hull FG is done... 2 layers of 6 oz. cloth in Silvertip laminating resin. The keel and bow strips are cut to shape but not mounted yet.

Utility fg done.jpg

Regards,

Steve

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:33 pm

Steve

It looks kind of puny after that monster under the shed! :roll: Ok. It looks good. :lol:

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

steveh41

Postby steveh41 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:02 pm

:lol: Thanks Bill... my wife has politely suggested (after being mostly patient for all this time) that this would have been a much more reasonable second project after the Tubby Tug. It's actually been a relief not to lose sleep over the flip... and the only backup systems are the oarlocks in case the outboard misbehaves. :lol:

Steve

Milhouse

Postby Milhouse » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:27 am

Steve, why did you decide on two layers of cloth?
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:41 am

Probably since it's a tender to add extra protection since it's likely to be abused landing on beaches, rocks, wharfs, etc and then left tied up while going into town for provisions.

steveh41

Postby steveh41 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:55 pm

You nailed it Matt... the extra layer of glass should give a little more protection against running up on rough shores without too much weight penalty.

Steve

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:19 pm

Is it a Glen-L utility Steve? I rode in Mike's a while back at the Gathering. Solid little boat.

steveh41

Postby steveh41 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:21 pm

Matt,

It's not the Glen-L Utility although similar in size and construction except for the open bow. I needed a frame kit to jump start the construction so had to go with another vendor.

Steve

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:06 pm

Steve, looks good so far. But the Tubby Tug would have looked good too!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

steveh41

Postby steveh41 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:22 pm

Thanks Carl :D ... the Tubby Tug was a pre-forum project for me which kind of set the hook for boat building. Found a pic from a few years back... had some fun times on the water before my son outgrew it. The outboard will be moved to the dinghy when it's done.

Tubby tug.JPG

Steve

Andy Garrett

Postby Andy Garrett » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:11 am

Steve, are you planning to launch in Monterey Bay?
Andy Garrett

Perhaps the slowest Zip build in Glen-L history...

steveh41

Postby steveh41 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:34 am

Hi Andy,

We're planning to launch in Richmond at Bay Marine... originally intended to launch in Alameda at Svendsen's but they have been bought out and boatyard is being moved. Hopefully will be ready to go late March or April. Still waiting for final quote from the transport folks.

Trust all is well with you!

Best regards,

Steve

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:33 am

Steve

Can't wait! Well, we'll just have to! :?

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Return to “Power Boats”