Klondike Build

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

steveh41

Re: New Member

Post by steveh41 »

Track,

Thanks. I appreciate your kind comments and interest. I'd be pleased to share notes and PM you construction pics of any details that might be of interest.

The black box on the aft centerline is the stern thruster IP enclosure. Probably overkill for a diesel setup, but I thought it would help protect the motor & electrics. The bow thruster is a conventional unit.

I've read good things about broadband radar too. Will be checking it out closely when I get to that point.

Progress has been pretty slow lately but should pick up over the next month as loose ends start coming together for finishing off the engine compartment. Will try to stay current with posts as progress permits.

Best regards,

Steve Hansen
upspirate

Post by upspirate »

What an incredible build from many standpoints!!! :shock: :D
steveh41

Post by steveh41 »

Upspirate,

Thanks. Just trying to put one foot in front of the other. Your signature line really sums up the process.

Regards,

Steve Hansen
Trackhappy
Location: Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia. Building Gentry.

Post by Trackhappy »

C'mon Steve!!! Your'e holding out on me again :wink: I need my Klondike fix. Been dreaming about building one to live on. Wife might not let me buy one, but maybe I can build one. I was pestering her the other day about living on a boatagain and her main stipulation was a full-sized "normal" toilet. I think I could fit one into Klondike ok...
By the time I have built a boat, I'll be ready to build a boat....
steveh41

Post by steveh41 »

Hey Track,

Have made some progress but haven't gotten around to taking pics. Will get some to upload by the weekend.

I'm with you on the spouse comfort issue. There's plenty of room for a proper toilet and shower on the Klondike. I'm getting the cabin areas sealed and ready for buildout...will try to keep you up to date.

Had an interesting time getting the engines and genset in place but everything worked out. Pics to follow shortly.

Regards,

Steve
steveh41

Post by steveh41 »

A few progress pics. Engines and genset in place. Sealing and priming of staterooms is underway. Making slow progress on fuel and raw water plumbing, exhaust, electrical etc. More to follow.

Regards,

Steve Hansen
Attachments
Day tank is aft of main engine
Day tank is aft of main engine
main engine dummy shaft.JPG
get home engine dummy shaft.JPG
steveh41

Post by steveh41 »

Pics of the staterooms.
Attachments
bow thruster tube under v berth.
bow thruster tube under v berth.
stateroom access through a common hallway - left turn main, right turn forward.
stateroom access through a common hallway - left turn main, right turn forward.
stabilizer actuators on each side and hydraulic fittings on bulkhead near sole.
stabilizer actuators on each side and hydraulic fittings on bulkhead near sole.
Trackhappy

Post by Trackhappy »

Stabilisers???? Tell us more!! Where did you get those? How much? This is going to be like a floating palce!!! I am loving this, thanks for posting it all. :D
steveh41

Post by steveh41 »

Hi Track,

Everything I've read has emphasized roll stabilization as essential for safety and comfort while motoring in a seaway. Sailboats have an advantage with the stabilizing effect of the sails. Of the several available options I ended up with active fins from Wesmar which seemed to be the most cost effective solution. Paravanes are less expensive and don't require any power other than the movement of the boat but the idea of deploying and retrieving 50 lb. fish on the end of a 25 ft boom steered me away from that option.

There's lots of good active stabilizer info on the web although it's hard to get people to talk price. Wesmar has several systems which run from the high $20's to mid $30's which is the best price I was able to find. The people are great; their installer drove up from the SF Bay area to help get the actuators properly bedded and he will be on board for sea trials when the time comes to get them properly tuned.

Some pics of the actuator blocks are attached. These are laminated from 3/4" Hydrotek and through bolted to the chine log. Total thickness to outer skin is 5-5/8" for the RS600 actuator.

In the nearly 5 years I've been at this project all my other toys have been sold or otherwise disposed of to keep things moving forward. Fortunately all the big ticket items are now on hand.

Regards,

Steve Hansen
Attachments
stab block 1.jpg
stab block 2.jpg
Ches T

Post by Ches T »

Come on you guys, boating and boat building is not your hobby in any sense of the word. It is your life! Awesome boat!
Ches
steveh41

Post by steveh41 »

Thanks Ches. This project did start out as an innocent thought which in time has pretty much overshadowed all other considerations. I've been fortunate to have some great help along the way, including support from a very understanding spouse.

Regards,

Steve Hansen
Trackhappy

Post by Trackhappy »

Mmmmm, boating by proxy.... How progress Steve??
steveh41

Post by steveh41 »

Hey Track,

Still plugging away. It's been pretty cold this past month which has slowed things down a bit. Will have some pics of forward cabin area this weekend.
Main tanks had to be redone.. the steel supplier had misread the dimensions and it's a pretty tight fit even when everything's spot on.
Have attached a pic of the new tanks nearly complete. More to follow...

Regards

Steve Hansen
Attachments
Main tanks nearly done...second time around
Main tanks nearly done...second time around
steveh41

Post by steveh41 »

A few more progress pics. Templating the forward cabin sole. Have added a bow eye for the anchor pendant and installed the bow thruster gear leg. Steering lines are plumbed to midships bulkhead. Bulkheads laminated to full height. Main tank template in place while tanks are being finished and powder coated. More to follow...

Regards,

Steve Hansen
Attachments
forward bulhead.JPG
forward cabin flooring.JPG
main tank template.JPG
Last edited by steveh41 on Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
steveh41

Post by steveh41 »

Next set...
Attachments
floor layout.JPG
plumbing at steering valve.JPG
hydraulic lines.JPG

Return to “Power Boats”