GERONIMO Fish Eyes AGAIN!

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

bobinpowayca

GERONIMO Fish Eyes AGAIN!

Post by bobinpowayca » Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:08 pm

This is driving me nuts. So, I have put on 2 coats of System Three Silver Tip resin, then the glass, and then two more coats of resin. Aside from the expected stubble and minimal orange peel, the sides of the boat came out great, but the bottom had really bad cratering and some "curtains".
I used the 7" yellow foam rollers, no tipping. I blamed the weather - it's been damn hot here, altho I started early in the day.
So, I sanded down the bottom again yesterday same as before, my RO sander and 220 grit, wiped it off real good with towel and warm water and let dry overnite. Today was cool and dry, 75 when I was done. This time I rolled on a very thin coat, and tipped it with a 4" foam brush, and it looked perfect. Then after it began to cure (over 20 minutes or so) it developed severe fisheyes everywhere. Not as bad as the first time but bad.
Now I intend to just sand it smooth once more, and go to the next step which is epoxy PrimeKote. Hopefully that will level and not develop fisheyes like the silver tip resin.
Wonder what I'm doing wrong?
Silver tip isn't supposed to blush - but should I have solvent washed between coats, and what kind of solvent?
And why was the problem only on the bottom of the boat and not the sides?
I think I've gone thru a couple of gallons of resin! Thanks for any help.. Bob
Oh yeah, even tho the surface is completed wetted after rolling and tipping, the fish eyes (about the size of a dime or less) look DRY in the centers.
Attachments
IMG_0387.JPG
cursed fish eyes!
Bob

khundley

Re: GERONIMO Fish Eyes AGAIN!

Post by khundley » Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:42 pm

Do you have an air compressor running in your shop? I have had issues with a larger air compressor atomizing a small amount of lubricant, and having some settle on a guitar I was working on, resulting in fish eyes like you are seeing.....with your boat overturned, it might be easier to have some airborne oily particles or droplets settle on a more or less horizontal surface than on the sides. I ended up leaving my compressor outside the garage when it was running during while my guitars. Definitely a frustrating experience.....
Ken Hundley
http://www.nocturnalguitars.com

So, my big brother was playing guitar and I figured I'd try it too.
- Stevie Ray Vaughan

gdcarpenter

Post by gdcarpenter » Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:49 pm

I don't think it's an answer to your problem, but 220 seems far to fine. I would use nothing finer than 180 to give the next coat more to 'bite' onto.
This is my first, last and only boat build.

http://www.gdzipbuild.blogspot.com

bobinpowayca

Post by bobinpowayca » Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:52 pm

Thanks for the replies guys. No, I don't have a compressor in the garage. And I think on the sides I may have used 150 grit. It just seems weird that I can seem to get a smooth wet coat rolling and tipping, but when the fisheyes develop they're dry in the center.
Anyway, I'm not going to sand it down and put another resin coat on again hoping to get rid of the fish eyes. After the next sanding I'm putting on the primer, Interlux Primekote. Hopefully the primer will level better than the epoxy and I won't have the fisheye problem :) Bob
Bob

billy c

Post by billy c » Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:24 am

Bob-
a lot of the surface looks fine in your photo.
i would not recoat the entire boat trying to fix the problem. clean, abrade and touch up the area(s) that you are having trouble with.
-Billy
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

bobinpowayca

Post by bobinpowayca » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:57 am

Thanks for the help folks.
The comment about coarser grit paper makes sense. I had it sanded "smooth as glass" using my RO and 220 grit pads, and when I think about it, if you spill water on smooth flat glass it will do a similar thing, maybe the cohesiveness of the resin vs. the smoothness of the surface :?: I think I'll just go over the whole boat quickly with 180 grit and then prime. I appreciate the comments. Bob
Bob

Return to “Power Boats”