Project *OverKill* Tahoe 23

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

FFguy08

Project *OverKill* Tahoe 23

Postby FFguy08 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:37 am

So, this happened! I now know what my plans are for the next 3-5 years! lol! Now, where/how to begin!?!?
Attachments
Plans on arrival 26 October 2015.JPG
Shane 8)
Greenwood, Indiana

He who has the most toys, wins!
ZL1 = CharliZe
Tahoe 23 = OverKill (under construction), Blog www.facebook.com/projectOverKillTahoe23

chugalug

Re: Project *OverKill* Tahoe 23

Postby chugalug » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:26 am

:D Might I suggest building large ,flat-top table for setting up frame parts and for gluing up gussets and other things.that glass top table might not hold up too well for nailing on. :D
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:51 am

Shane

The work table is a real big help. I would suggest 1/2" good exterior ply. You may have to stiffen it. The exterior can be used later for seats, floor/sole, or other interior work. That reduces the waste.

Go ahead and build your frames first and epoxy them

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Dave Grason

Postby Dave Grason » Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:07 pm

Bill Edmundson wrote:Go ahead and build your frames first and epoxy them

...and then start thinking about your building form. You'll need to hold all those frames in position.

Just in case no one has said it yet, Welcome to the forum.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

FFguy08

Postby FFguy08 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:29 am

Thanks for the input guys! I've been on the forum for a couple months now. Researching and following various other builds to gage my abilities and determine what suits my wants in a boat. My hope is to build this Tahoe and then build a sailboat after. So, good, honest way to spend time (and money!)!

Funny you mentioned the work table... I actually already looked into that, acquired plans to build one! Looking at a 4'x8' work table, that should be plenty big! Boat building in the kitchen on a glass top table just isn't recommended in the plans! Although I'm sure it has been done before! lol!

I do have a question... What is the best way to document my build? Should I just post updates and pictures to this thread throughout the process or is there a easy to use blog that is better (for me and others to view)? I've never done a blog so, Recommendations?

I think the winter will be spent setting up a backyard building shelter, building the work table, building and epoxying the frames, construct the building form, and shopping for most of the necessary tools/materials... This will be a challenging and educational experience for me, my first build! I plan to be referring to this forum often! And if there are any central Indiana boat builders who enjoy this sorta activity and beer, please chime in! I'd welcome your expertise and assistance!! :D
Shane 8)
Greenwood, Indiana

ZL1 = CharliZe
Tahoe 23 = OverKill (under construction), Blog www.facebook.com/projectOverKillTahoe23

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:38 am

FFguy08 wrote:<snip.....>
I do have a question... What is the best way to document my build? Should I just post updates and pictures to this thread throughout the process or is there a easy to use blog that is better (for me and others to view)? I've never done a blog so, Recommendations?
<snip...>

I made the decision to fully document my build when I started my Vera Cruise build three and half years ago. I use a few tools to do this. Depending upon how tech saavy you are you could choose a variety of methods to do so.

My approach is to use my phone (which is linked to Google Photos through auto backup) for taking pictures. All my photos automatically go to my Google photos folder where I can then organize them as needed. I have folders for different stages of the build, all of which are publicly shared. This provides the visual reference people might want.

I also created a blog in blogspot (you can use them or Wordpress or others) which I write to on average every two or three weeks. I usually include a written description of the tasks I performed since the previous blog entry as well as selected photos taken during that work session. On my blog I have link to my photo gallery. I include a link to my blog in my signature here on the forum (see below).

I also share more immediate accomplishments here on the builder's forum in a build thread, "Building The Vera Cruise". Thread entries are usually shorter in nature and include some photos. This allows me to help keep others informed, motivated, or whatever. I know I appreciate being able to read about other's progress and see photos of their work so I want to be able to return the favor. My build thread is also available via a link in my blog.

Finally, in my photo gallery, I have a building highlights folder (also publicly shared) where I will place select photos from my photo gallery to give a highlight view of the build. This is because I have over 700 photos in my regular gallery and that can be a bit much if you are only casually interested in seeing my build. So the highlights folder only contains sufficient photos to give some idea of the the flow of the build. There is a link to this highlights folder also on my blog.

Now, granted, my approach seems complicated, but it's actually not too bad and only takes a small time to maintain. My goal when setting it up was to provide something that was seriously lacking for my boat's design when I started.

An alternative is to set up a blog in the Glen L site. There is information there how to do that. That makes your work visible to other's who might visit the site and be interested in your design or build.

A lot of guys don't want to bother with all of this and that is fine as well. But I personally like having a record of my build that I can share with others and go back to later. So at the very least, you should try to take lots of photos.

Good luck with your build and looking forward to seeing progress on it.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

rbrandenstein

Postby rbrandenstein » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:36 am

I did a blog on blogspot to keep a fairly detailed, chronological diary of the build. It is nice to have all the information and pictures in one spot. I send the link to friends that are interested and also go through it periodically to relive the build or remember a detail on what I did.
I also put posts on the forum, which tended to mirror my blog posts. So, there where usually two sets of posting going on. However, I also used the forum for questions and side notes on staining, epoxy, etc. that I hoped would be useful to other builders.
I also found value in a spreadsheet that kept track of suppliers, quantities of wood, etc. When I found an item I planned to use, I would put it in the spreadsheet so I wouldn't forget it and where I found it. I also used it to compare pricing.

Regarding a work table. I build a 2x4 frame and used 1/2" MDF as the top. It is very smooth and I painted it with white primer to make it easy to mark for layout.

FFguy08

Postby FFguy08 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:29 am

rbrandenstein and mrintense, thank you for the replies! Both very useful information, which I will use! I'll be setting up a BlogSpot and posting to this Topic! I liked the idea of the spreadsheet... It's a good practice to have that information someplace central as there are times when I can't find the inform I know we have! (yep, happens to me all the dang time!) I'll probably attach to that spreadsheet (somehow) another SS tracking all my purchases and spending to log my costs and sales tax paid so when it's time to register, I have an idea of value and taxes paid! Ugh, dislike taxes!

As I'm shopping around, looking for equipment/tools and materials, I find myself picking my jaw up off the floor! I need to find a "Man Sale" somewhere to buy all these tools second hand... this stuff is adding up, seems like I'll have more money in tools and a workshop than the boat itself! haha! Hope everyone is having a great week!
Shane 8)
Greenwood, Indiana

ZL1 = CharliZe

chugalug

Postby chugalug » Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:48 am

:D My work table was a 4x8 sheet of ply on 2 sawhorses and 2x4's for stiffeners.coarse I built shed first.I'm up where snow weight can be a problem for portable sheds.A really good sabre saw can take place of bandsaw.of coarse, for resaw,a good bandsaw is nice.

jamundsen

Postby jamundsen » Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:31 pm

Check Craigslist for tools. I bought a lot of the expensive stuff for penny's on the dollar.
John Amundsen
Monte Carlo
Lakeland,Fl

Work tends to get in the way of boat building

FFguy08

Postby FFguy08 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:42 am

Is anybody aware of others who are documenting their builds via youtube I could subscribe to? Preferably a Tahoe or similar hull? Having the video vs pictures is easier for me to follow and see the details better and learn/get ideas from! Thank you in advance for the help!
Shane 8)
Greenwood, Indiana

ZL1 = CharliZe

chugalug

Postby chugalug » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:14 am

:D Might want to check out "woodyboater" .all kinds of ol'Chris-crafts, Garwoods and other old boats.or boatbuzz.

joshuab

Postby joshuab » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:28 pm

I am documenting my zip build on youtube, might find something useful in there, you might also loose hours of your life listening to me ramble on... :lol:

Just search "building the zip" on youtube and you will find me.
I cut twice and it's still too short :mrgreen:

FFguy08

Postby FFguy08 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:41 pm

Chugalug.... That site is loaded with info and videos! Thanks for the tip!

Joshuab... I found you on youtube and subscribed, watched everything so far on the Zip build... looking good and starting to connect some dots on things as I'm reading thru my plans (and the mountain of books I've purchased and currently reading as well!) and seeing how you worked through some things that are new to me!... Its helpful for me to watch it then do it! So, thanks for the tip!

Getting my blog set up currently and deciding how I'm going to proceed with that...

Purchased all the materials to build my work table, going to be 4x8 made from 2x4 and then a sheet of 1/2" exterior ply for a smooth top to work on... Putting it on wheels too, seems to be pretty handy when it can be moved with ease, based on what I've seen and read so far on guys' work tables at least.

Picked up a great deal on a router (skil)... now watching for band saw and hand belt sander prices?! The holiday shopping season and subsequent deals are making these purchases a bit easier on the ole' wallet!!

Also installed a heater in my garage, it's already insulated, so it wasn't much of a project (minor electrical change and hanging the unit) but it heats the garage up really fast and toasty! Gonna be nice being able to work in the winter!

Hope everyone is doing great, until next time! 8)
Shane 8)
Greenwood, Indiana

ZL1 = CharliZe

kens

Postby kens » Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:55 pm

you can get a lot of power tools at pawn shops, I regularly tour all the pawn shops in town about once a month or so.
On the work table, I used a sheet of 3/4" MDF across 3 sawhorses all leveled of course. But the thing I liked was waxing the entire top surface of the MDF.
that way all the epoxy drips, boogers and spills could be knocked off easily. I also use it to clamp down for splices, scarf joints etc. you can even vacuum bag parts right to the work top.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

Return to “Power Boats”