Project *OverKill* Tahoe 23

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

chugalug

Re: Project *OverKill* Tahoe 23

Postby chugalug » Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:23 am

:D Last Friday ,I recieved my first issue of WoodenBoat(my father thought I would like it since I'm over at his place reading all the older issues).Noticed an article in there of a restoration of a 1948 Shepherd runabout.(part 2) I'll have to go back to pop's and see 1st part.Looks similar to Tahoe. might give you some ideas.Also went on Woodenboat store and signed up for newsletter and read a few old ones.Wow;lot of info :D
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

FFguy08

Postby FFguy08 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:05 pm

So, a little update...

Had surgery recently to repair a completely torn up shoulder... All went well and I'm on the road to a full recovery! In the meantime, as boat building is in a holding pattern, I've been working on and deciding on how my blog is going to work! So, I've chosen to incorporate my blog with Facebook. As it seems everybody has a Facebook profile and it's easy for me to make posts from my phone (posting pictures), not to mention you all can post comments (constructive of course!)!! So, that being said... If you are interested in following my build, search http://www.facebook.com/projectOverKillTahoe23 and like the group. Then, any time I update the group you'll see it! Hope to be 100% physically and cut'n wood by spring! Happy New Year everyone, Shane!
Attachments
IMG_4789[1].JPG
Dream Land post surgery
Shane 8)
Greenwood, Indiana

He who has the most toys, wins!
ZL1 = CharliZe
Tahoe 23 = OverKill (under construction), Blog www.facebook.com/projectOverKillTahoe23

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:18 pm

Shane

I blew my rotator cuff apart a few years ago! I understand! You'll be amazed at what you can do one handed. BUT! Be Careful. I unloaded 34 sheets of plywood one handed. The therapists did not like that.

Take care!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

FFguy08

Postby FFguy08 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:26 pm

Rotator cuff and Labrum for me... Now I've had both shoulders done, 8 years apart, but 2 bionic shoulders now!!! Bill, I bet you got a good, stern talking to for unloading plywood after shoulder surgery, that's crazy!
Shane 8)
Greenwood, Indiana

ZL1 = CharliZe
Tahoe 23 = OverKill (under construction), Blog www.facebook.com/projectOverKillTahoe23

ian bell

Postby ian bell » Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:06 pm

Welcome aboard Shane. I have not kept a record of what I spent, my boat bank a/c gives me idea on costs . The set up frame , make sure it is high enough so you can unbolt it when you turn your boat. Remember to measure twice and cut once and take your time .My build started Easter 2009 and still not finished.
Ian

FFguy08

Postby FFguy08 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:24 pm

Ok, dumb question i'm sure... I was looking at planes today... Can someone give a brief breakdown of the differences? I saw a 14", 9", a smooth plane, jack plane, palm plane... Some had a straight blade others had this cheese grater look'n blade... I'm sure countless other choices that I didn't see. What the heck? I'm sure each has a specified application so, which one will do best for boat building? thanks in advance :?
Shane 8)
Greenwood, Indiana

ZL1 = CharliZe

jamundsen

Postby jamundsen » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:37 pm

Buy one of each. You'll be fine. :lol:
John Amundsen
Monte Carlo
Lakeland,Fl

Work tends to get in the way of boat building

joshuab

Postby joshuab » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:56 pm

When fairing my zip i used a jack plane for 90%, a block plane (hand) for 2% and a low angle jack plane for the rest, for me a cheapie harbor freight $9.99 jack plane did the majority of my zip, i really enjoyed fairing by hand, really brain dead relaxing work, physical yes but very satisfying :D
I cut twice and it's still too short :mrgreen:

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:06 am

I have a vintage no. 5 (jack plane) Stanley Bailey plane that I grabbed off of Ebay. I have done 90% of my fairing with it. A no. 4 (smooth plane) is also a very good general purpose size. Anything smaller or bigger I wouldn't recommend for your first plane. I also would not recommend buying a brand new one unless you just really want to spend a lot of money. An older Stanley is much more affordable and 99% as good as anything on the market (IMO). Even if you have to rehab it a little. My father in law had an old stanley that was coated with rust. I cleaned it up and got it sharp and it worked fantastic when I gave it back to him. He didn't even know that it was blue under all the crud. I'm not necessarily and expert on planes but I have some experience using them so if you need help let me know.

FFguy08

Postby FFguy08 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:21 am

Oh how I'd love to buy one of each! I'm thinking I'll be hand planning most of the job... maybe an electric plane where there's a lot of material to be removed. But I'm more comfortable with the amount of control a hand plane offers when dealing with fine amounts of material to be shaved off for a perfect fit!
So, I saw a 14" and a 9", both Stanley both new but less than 30.00 ea, in your opinion... 9" would be a better all around plane for a boat build application? What is the longer, 14", intended for?
Shane 8)
Greenwood, Indiana

ZL1 = CharliZe

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:12 pm

A handplane with a sharp iron can slice off an almost imperceptibly thin shaving or hog off a surprisingly thick shaving provided that its properly set up. You can find videos on youtube that will tell you how to do all that. Look up Paul Sellers on youtube for sharpening and setting up. I use either a wetstone or automotive sandpaper glued to a piece of plate glass to do my sharpening. Let me also emphasize that if you are gluing something that's been planed you will need to rough up the surface with some 80 or 120 grit sandpaper as the surface will be so smooth from the plane that it can cause a bad glue joint.

The 14" is what I have. Also called a no. 5 or jackplane. I think it is great for fairing because the aft 1/3 of the boat needs to be flat and a jackplane is good at flattening out areas. You can hear as the plane is slicing through the wood if your getting one continuous shaving or if you are hitting bumps. A jackplane has a bit more heft than a smooth plane and will have a bit more momentum going through the wood. You'll get a workout, but it's good for you. If the job starts seeming harder than it should be, it's time to sharpen. Maybe every 30-40 minutes if you are doing a lot of planing. But, you'll be surprised how much you can do in that amount of time.

I'm told that the new Stanley's are not really the equal of the older ones so I won't advise you to buy one. From my research, the older stanley "bailey" planes are the best value, and what a lot of the high end modern planes are based upon. This is what mine looks like:
myplane.jpg

All that being said, don't feel like to you have to spend a ton of money one one. I spent less than $50 and mine came with a wooden box that the previous owner had made for it. You can easily get one cheaper that just needs to be cleaned and tuned up. And, other guys have faired their boats with the harbor freight plane, which I find amazing as it looks like a total piece of crap.

FFguy08

Postby FFguy08 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:57 pm

Excellent! Thanks for the detail! So, if I follow what you are saying... the 14" is good for longer flatter boards needing to be planed? Where the shorter 9" might be better suited for shorter boards? I'll do some shopping for a "Bailey" around here, see if I can pick one up second hand! Thanks again Matt!
Shane 8)
Greenwood, Indiana

ZL1 = CharliZe

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:08 pm

In a sense, yes, but you can get away with either one. You want to make sure while your fairing that you take a step back often and sight along the lines, just like any other tool. The one thing that is a big advantage of the hand plane is that once you get used to using it you can tell by feel and sound what the plane is doing. This is not the case with a power plane or belt sander.

FFguy08

Postby FFguy08 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:03 am

Updating some progress! Can't do much still with post shoulder surgery rehab in wide open throttle. However, A buddy wanted to help me build my work table so we knocked that out real quick! It was nice being the supervisor! hahaha!
Attachments
work table frame.jpg
Frame built
work table casters.jpg
Casters installed, she's heavy so need wheels to help move her around
work table bottom storage and top start.jpg
Bottom storage built and top deck started
Shane 8)
Greenwood, Indiana

ZL1 = CharliZe

FFguy08

Postby FFguy08 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:05 am

Finished product! I suppose a lot of magic will be happening at this table over the next few years!
Attachments
work table complete.jpg
She sure is a beauty, Clark!
Shane 8)
Greenwood, Indiana

ZL1 = CharliZe

Return to “Power Boats”