Project *OverKill* Tahoe 23

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

FFguy08

Re: Project *OverKill* Tahoe 23

Postby FFguy08 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:12 am

Ok, as I've followed the forum over the past 6 months... I recall reading about someone who built the Tahoe and powered it with a 496 cui engine. Can someone provide his name... I'd like to talk with him about his build and hopefully gain an understanding of what all went in to making that possible. Thanks, happy building!
Shane 8)
Greenwood, Indiana

He who has the most toys, wins!
ZL1 = CharliZe
Tahoe 23 = OverKill (under construction), Blog www.facebook.com/projectOverKillTahoe23

jamundsen

Postby jamundsen » Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:28 am

I think Butch Barto has a 502 in his. try sending him a PM. I have a 454 in my Monte Carlo which is about the same size.
John Amundsen
Monte Carlo
Lakeland,Fl

Work tends to get in the way of boat building

FFguy08

Postby FFguy08 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:36 am

Thanks! I'll PM him to pick his brain a little!

I'll ask you as well, since the 454 and the 496 are basically the same block... Did you have to do anything extra to your hull to reinforce it or is the Monty Carlo designed with big block expectations and so all the necessary strength and rigidity are designed into the plans? I'm certain I need to do something to strengthen the Tahoe hull to support a 496, I just don't know what?
Shane 8)
Greenwood, Indiana

ZL1 = CharliZe
Tahoe 23 = OverKill (under construction), Blog www.facebook.com/projectOverKillTahoe23

jamundsen

Postby jamundsen » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:49 am

I don't think you have to do anything special as your motor is centrally located. All I did was add some white oak motor mounts on the inside of the stringers to support the engine
John Amundsen
Monte Carlo
Lakeland,Fl

Work tends to get in the way of boat building

FFguy08

Postby FFguy08 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:15 pm

It took some patience, but after a month of playing the bidding war game on eBay, I scored these beauties!! They will be a fine addition to the workshop!
Attachments
image.jpeg
Both are Stanley Bailey planes, one is a No. 5 and the other is a No. 4.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Shane 8)
Greenwood, Indiana

ZL1 = CharliZe

FFguy08

Postby FFguy08 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:11 am

Thanks for the input John, I appreciate your response and the referral! It's good to know someone has built almost exactly what I want to build... Butch will be a great resource!
Shane 8)
Greenwood, Indiana

ZL1 = CharliZe

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:00 pm

Nice planes!

FFguy08

Postby FFguy08 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:03 pm

Learned how to sharpen hand plane blades today! Got to buy some loot to do it and they are sharp! Not bad for 100+ year old planes off eBay... Ready to go to work!!
Attachments
image.jpeg
New bevel!
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Took some work but started getting shavings so thin I could read text thru them! Should handle hull construction very well!
Shane 8)
Greenwood, Indiana

ZL1 = CharliZe

FFguy08

Postby FFguy08 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:38 pm

Greetings everyone!

I'm looking for everyone's opinion on an equipment purchase... I'm buying a Bandsaw... I like the Laguna 14/12, great piece of machinery however pricey! Now Rikon has introduced a 14" bandsaw (also 12" resaw capacity)... It's a 1/4 h/p less motor and has bearings for blade guides rather than ceramic guides as the Laguna has, however, 300.00 less cost. I'm unaware of the subtle differences, those were the 2 big ones. Now, the question, I'm a hobbyist backyard barn shop woodworker, I'd be using it mostly for resawing rough lumber... Not heavy use and abuse like say a commercial shop would use it for. Future plans are to build the boat (obviously) and table, bookcase/cabinetry, and toy builds to sell and fund my boat construction insanity... Do I need the Laguna for 300.00 more or will the Rikon be more than enough saw for me in my lifetime??? I just want to spend the money once but don't want to over do it either. Thanks for any advice and input all you experienced folks can offer!

Best regards, Shane.
Shane 8)
Greenwood, Indiana

ZL1 = CharliZe

Scot2640

Postby Scot2640 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:04 pm

Resawing lumber will require a beefy machine. When resawing anything over say 5 or 6 inches will require an excellent blade and the more HP, the better. Resawing is the most demanding task for a bandsaw.

Both those machines are excellent quality but I heard Laguna customer support is terrible, however I have no personal experience with them.

I like ball bearing roller guides and a sturdy, tall fence for resawing. Additionally your blade needs to be properly tensioned and your table must be exactly 90 degrees to your blade.

I have a 17" grizzly and I love it. Powers through anything I throw at it. Good luck on your purchase.
A ship is safe in the harbor, but that's not what ships are for.

http://www.seadreamerproject.com
http://www.youtube.com/c/SixPointsWoodWorks

FFguy08

Postby FFguy08 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:24 pm

So.... Something happened this weekend!! I acquired, assembled, and set up my new bandsaw! I opt for the better warranty and customer service with the Rikon. I lucked out by waiting another month as it was marked down a bit on price, so virtually the same specs as the Laguna, but less expensive! Next step, buy and start cut'n wood for my frames!! :shock: 8) :D
Attachments
image.jpeg
My first piece of candy in my boat building journey!
Shane 8)
Greenwood, Indiana

ZL1 = CharliZe

Gayle Brantuk

Postby Gayle Brantuk » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:12 am

Yay for you Shane! Have fun...
Gayle Brantuk
Vice President
Glen-L Marine
Visit our Blog & Create Your Own!

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:33 am

Rikon is also a great machine!! Well done and have fun.

Roberta :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

slug

Postby slug » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:01 pm

I highly recommend a carbide blade for re sawing. It will pay for itself.
Doug.

Brad Tucker

Postby Brad Tucker » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:23 pm

Great to see a fellow public safety guy building a boat. I'm a flight medic on a helicopter, my brother is a firefighter, and my father and grandfather were troopers!

Return to “Power Boats”