Monte Carlo Swim platform

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

mrintense

Re: Monte Carlo Swim platform

Post by mrintense »

Nice work so far John,

I am looking forward to seeing how the attachment points work out. One of the regrets I have with my boat is, that at best, I will have an abbreviated and narrow swim platform (because of the outboard). I've liked those full width swim platforms since I first saw them here several years ago. Very nice addition to boats that can have them.
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

sands35

Post by sands35 »

Have you done the math on how much load the swim platform can take?

Having designed industrial steps (in my younger days) it's pretty easy to get 2x load on something like that by just stepping on a step or (relatively lightly) jumping up and down. The basic sort of loads a step will see when walking up and down is 1.5-2x body load.

Have a 200 lbs dude slipping and falling onto the platform have have loads up to 600-1,000+ lbs pretty easy. A 2 foot long step means that is ~2x the force reacting onto the transom supports. Even a person hauling themselves onto the step from the water will give it a 2x shock load just from body weight.

I'd suggest bigger bolts or at least through bolt on the upper supports. Take care with how the platform is braced under it as well. The supports and associated bolts are not really visible, so go big on that stuff. It would create a safety problem and possibly put a hole in your boat if one where to rip out when on the lake. I realize you have 5 supports across the transom, but they aren't going to equally share the weight. More like 2, maybe 3, will take up load from somebody on the platform.

jamundsen

Post by jamundsen »

Thanks for the info
No I didn't do any calculations but I did follow Mark B swim platform build. He used three supports and figured 500 to 600 pounds. His was also 21 inches and mine is 18. His has been in use for 5 years so far. It would not be good to have someone fall off. I drilled out the fittings to put in larger bolts.
John Amundsen
Monte Carlo
Lakeland,Fl

Work tends to get in the way of boat building

Dave Grason

Post by Dave Grason »

I wonder if there is any way to actually test how much of a shock load a given design could support? I suppose that would involve building a mock up and then slamming weights on it until it failed. Then you would know. Hmmm

In lieu of doing that, I would probably also not forget to put some rather large stainless fender washers on the in transom end of the bolts. It would be some added insurance.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

jamundsen

Post by jamundsen »

I think i will do a static load check. Dave can you come over and stand on it for me? I think it should be able to sustain at least 600 pounds static. Oh sorry Dave I didnt mean just you. :lol: :lol: :lol: Ill stand on it too. that should do it if I add some 5 gallon jugs of water at the same time.
John Amundsen
Monte Carlo
Lakeland,Fl

Dave Grason

Post by Dave Grason »

Oh yeah, you think you're joking but I think not. The batteries went out on my bathroom scale and so, I didn't have any replacements right away. It became a case of "out of sight, out of mind." At the end of the fall semester, I was so stressed and my blood pressure went so high that I ended up for a week in the hospital. Ever since the heart attack back in Feb of 2014, I haven't had any energy. I could tell that my weight has been gaining but I didn't know how much. I have been getting very little in the way of exercise and I'm constantly out of breath. And then there's the Edema. My feet and lower legs are about twice their normal size and have been for months. They were worse before I went in the hospital.

Yesterday, I found some new batteries and put them in the scale. I couldn't believe it! I weighed a massive 361 lbs!! YIKES! I have NEVER been this heavy. Needless to say, I'm now in panic mode.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

jamundsen

Post by jamundsen »

Too cold for epoxy today. Never thought I'd say that in Florida. After a recent newsletter article I put the safety back on the table saw. There is lots of other work to be done. I don't know how you guys in cold climates do it.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (51.29 KiB) Viewed 1846 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
John Amundsen
Monte Carlo
Lakeland,Fl

Dave Grason

Post by Dave Grason »

John? What are you showing us here? About the boards that are laminated around the curved form, will this be your swim platform?

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

As long as I keep my epoxy indoors when its cold it mixes up just fine. Then if its especially cold it might take an extra day to fully cure.

I have great respect for my table saw. My middle school shop teacher cut off a couple of fingers after decades of teaching (not during class). I think about that every time I use the saw.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

jamundsen

Post by jamundsen »

Epoxy mixed ok so I'm going to try it.
Yes Dave that's the laminations prepped for the platform
Attachments
First glue up
First glue up
John Amundsen
Monte Carlo
Lakeland,Fl

Dave Grason

Post by Dave Grason »

Wow John, it actually looks like you know what you're doing. That's impressive. I've often wondered how my boat would look if I did my covering boards that way. I'm actually somewhat concerned about sanding the inside curve and getting it correct. But if I were to laminate my covering boards in this manner, I would have virtually no sanding to do to fair the inside curves. Any thoughts?
hoodman wrote: My middle school shop teacher cut off a couple of fingers after decades of teaching (not during class). I think about that every time I use the saw.
Absoultely Matt! I had a good friend in my shop class that just got the very tip of his middle finger into the table saw. And yes, he was horsing around when the teacher was out of the class. But it was a lesson I NEVER EVER FORGOT! I thought about it every day all those years I worked as a carpenter. I couldn't make myself not do it. And I do not believe I've ever even had a close call. But I have sure spent many hours working with all types of power tools for the wood shop.

jamundsen

Post by jamundsen »

One head installed
Waiting to be torqued
Attachments
image.jpeg
John Amundsen
Monte Carlo
Lakeland,Fl

jamundsen

Post by jamundsen »

2 heads on and torqued
Attachments
image.jpeg
John Amundsen
Monte Carlo
Lakeland,Fl

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Almost time to fire that puppy up again!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

kens

Post by kens »

Im anxious to see your build run. I remember seeing it on the trailer before the finish, and admiring it, then you got on the water and had your overheating things going on. I remember the peanut gallery looking at your woodwork and admiring it. You had gearbox issue also??
I want to see her get up and run. I hope this gets you past your overheating things.
Can I get a ride??
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

Return to “Power Boats”