Highschool Riviera Build Project

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

18shamic

Re: Highschool Riviera Build Project

Postby 18shamic » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:50 pm

Hello All,

It has been tow years now since I began working on the Riviera. Since the projects' inception, my expectations have changed: I realize that the boat will probably not be completely done when I leave for college. Between now and May, I will get the boat as done as I can; but I am aiming for the launch in late may early June. I realize that I do not have the time to properly put the boat together as I originally envisioned it. I was originally hoping to have a very luxurious interior, with lots of compartments, ambient lighting, etc. In order to get the boat done in the next 4 months, I need to focus on making it functional rather than luxurious. This means that I have to remove such luxuries as compartments/storage, and focus on making the boat run and drive. I still intend on finishing the dashboard and deck properly with mahogany, but the floor and seats will be plywood. In the future, I plan on refinishing the sides as well as the interior, bringing back the mahogany sides, and installing mahogany floors. But for now, the boat will be functional. I am working hard to get it done by my launch date; It will float by summer.

Since my last update, I have removed the floors and seats and started work on the inside of the hull. I quickly sanded down the inside to remove splinters and rough spots. I ground down all the screws, staples, and nails sticking through the wood; I then removed all the blocks attached to the bottom of the hull. These were either spacers, or they provided a surface for the first layer of plywood planking to mate to. I am not certain of their purpose though. (I forgot to take a picture, but the dusty one shows the blocks from earlier in the build) These blocks were attached with screws that went through the first layer of planking - the only way to get them up was to pull the screw head through the first layer of planking. This was long, tedious, and stressful - I was putting holes in my boat! Anyway, I got them all through, with no real major damage. I filled all the holes that they left, and I attached the floor supports to the frames/sides of the hull with thickened epoxy. I switched to RAKA cold weather epoxy, since temps have dropped to 11 degrees here in Ohio. I am pleased with the epoxy's performance so far: it cured well at 55 degrees, it's not quite clear; but I like it's light amber finish. I tried to coat the inside of the hull, but I quickly gave up. I gave up because the scale that I have used thus far is limited to 300g. This means (for easy math) i am making 250g batches; much too small for large jobs like fiberglassing/sealing.

I hope everyone has a enjoyable new year and a good holiday season!

-Michael
Attachments
IMG_4446.JPG
IMG_5462.JPG
IMG_1533.JPG

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:04 pm

Michael

It looks like a really good job! Sorry you won't make your goal. But, you will finish this! You have already learned things that you will carry with you the rest of your life. I'll still be watching your progress.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

vupilot

Postby vupilot » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:15 pm

I would take the time to do it the way you wanted to, the best of your ability, even if that means you dont complete it for another 5 years.

JoeM

Postby JoeM » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:49 am

Would this work for a scale for your resin needs? That way you can do larger batches. It's only about $10.00 https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ozeri-Pronto-Digital-Multifunction-Kitchen-and-Food-Scale-in-Elegant-Black-ZK14-S/203725598?cm_mmc=Shopping|THD|DigitalDecor|google|D29B+Housewares|_pkw__pmt__product_203725598&mid=spqnFKJHw|dc_mtid_8903yuu57254_pcrid_51166497102_pkw__pmt__product_203725598_slid_&gclid=Cj0KCQiAyZLSBRDpARIsAH66VQL9HrZuWBAeTS09rhhI-cFc8u7COYvKlxqW9FUf2v-rbKoH9H3vQeYaAj8nEALw_wcB

I've been following along and think you're doing a good job. I'm sorry that things aren't going to work out so you can have it completed the way you were intending by your launch date. I personally would go ahead and finish it so it's usable like you're planning. However, I would leave room and try to plan on adding things as you go. Maybe run some conduit for your electrical now so when you are able to add later you just thread through the conduit. Compartments for storage can also be added later. Pretty much can mock up your compartment outside and just drop in. You're bright wood interior should also be able to be done after the fact as long as you're comfortable with a veneer or tearing out the old plywood.

Keep up the good work!
Check out my project and blog! http://fv-escape-hatch.com/project

18shamic

Postby 18shamic » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:34 pm

Thank you!

I will swing by home depot and pick up one of those scales - I always thought they were more expensive. I am travelling currently, so construction will resume when I return. The small batches of epoxy have been a choke point in the build so far - its past time to get a larger scale or epoxy pumps. So I went ahead and ordered pumps and I will pick up a scale from Home depot.

I fully intend on taking the next 10 years to build the boat right, but unfortunately, I will have to take a 4-6 year hiatus due to leaving for college. I will try my best to set everything up so I can resume building as soon as I can; putting conduit in, extra space on fuze blocks, space for compartments, etc. But I need to get the boat at least fully functioning before I leave. This realization began when I painted the topsides blue; the cost and time of redoing fiberglass would prevent me from coming near to completion before I left for college. I will complete the boat: just with a break in between. I am by no means giving up on the project, I am just trying to plan for the future. Between now and May/June, I will post updates more frequently, since I will be working more.

Thank you for your suggestion and support,
-Michael

TomB

Postby TomB » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:24 am

Michael,

I saw something a while ago about a cheap way to get bigger batches. The guy used a big plastic drink cup as his measure cup, pushing a small nail through the side and filled to the nail. He was using a 2:1 mix, so he filled the cup to the nail and poured into his mix cup, twice with resin and once with hardener, quick and accurate.

Tom

Michael

Test the cups first. I've had hardener melt the cups before.

Bill

18shamic

Postby 18shamic » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:04 pm

I have sealed the interior in three coats of epoxy. Next up is to drop the engine into the boat. I have two huge hurdles to overcome. The first being the placement of the shaft hole. I am confident it is in the right place, but it goes right up against a frame member. I believe other riviera builders have had the same problem, and have just cut through it. I realize that there is no other way, but how should I reinforce it afterwards? Have others reinforced it? The second huge hurdle is the shaft alignment. How have you guys aligned the motor with the shaft? I hope to be able to put the engine in in one go. I designed the motor mounts to be ajustable, and they are being fabricated now. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Michael

18shamic

Postby 18shamic » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:59 pm

Hello,
Over the last couple days I have done lots of engine work - mating the engine and transmission together has proven to be quite difficult. I have also fabricated motor mounts. Over the next couple days I expect to have the engine in the boat. I have had some issues with the fuel pressure regulator, hence the uneven idle. I will fix that tomorrow (Don't want to wake the neighbors :wink: ) Here is a video of it running.

https://youtu.be/04uZdsUn0S0

psychobilly

Postby psychobilly » Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:30 am

Ah that sound of victory!

Return to “Power Boats”